Road noise and steering vibration -E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MB E550
Road noise and steering vibration -E550

hello folks

so i missed construction zone signs and ran over few pot holes with speed of 40mph ... it was quite dark and my front passenger tire popped (popcorn)...other tires got lot of bumps... replaced the flat tire with spare and called the safeguard tire/wheel warranty next day ...they approved my claim and asked me to get the tire replaced anywhere i wanted...
went down to discount tires and they recommended michelin and replaced all four with brand new "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus" ... had continental before...

my front rotors were warped and were also replaced under MB warranty after the tire replacement..

ever since the tire and brake job was done... the ride never seems to be smooth like before... road noise has increased ... even on local roads...highway is worst...very loud...

i was thinking to give the new tires some time to break but looks like i am stuck with this problem... any thoughts? its just over a month with new tires/rotors...did not even drive 500 miles...

i also feel steering vibration on 30-40mph...strengthens with speed... vibration does not occur while braking... any thoughts on this too? wheel balance?

driving on highway has become uncomfortable for me...feel like something will break and fall apart ...

i drive '11 E550 4Matic... any one else facing similar issues?

thanks for the time...
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by Riaz25
hello folks

so i missed construction zone signs and ran over few pot holes with speed of 40mph ... it was quite dark and my front passenger tire popped (popcorn)...other tires got lot of bumps... replaced the flat tire with spare and called the safeguard tire/wheel warranty next day ...they approved my claim and asked me to get the tire replaced anywhere i wanted...
went down to discount tires and they recommended michelin and replaced all four with brand new "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus" ... had continental before...

my front rotors were warped and were also replaced under MB warranty after the tire replacement..

ever since the tire and brake job was done... the ride never seems to be smooth like before... road noise has increased ... even on local roads...highway is worst...very loud...

i was thinking to give the new tires some time to break but looks like i am stuck with this problem... any thoughts? its just over a month with new tires/rotors...did not even drive 500 miles...

i also feel steering vibration on 30-40mph...strengthens with speed... vibration does not occur while braking... any thoughts on this too? wheel balance?

driving on highway has become uncomfortable for me...feel like something will break and fall apart ...

i drive '11 E550 4Matic... any one else facing similar issues?

thanks for the time...

your wheels might be bent.. check balance on them ,and ask to see if its bent
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Next step, road force balance http://www.gsp9700.com/
Old 07-26-2016, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
yeah, get those wheels and balance looked at. Best thing about these cars is the solid ride on the highway so something is definitely off.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
The GOOD THING is that you purchased your tires at Discount Tire and many of their stores have a road force balancing machine and they're very good about rebalancing tires to your satisfaction.

Reviews about the tire indicate that they do exhibit noise, but no review I read mentioned a problem with vibration.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'12 E550 4M, '14 ML5504M
I've driven both tires, the pilot sport and the touricontacts. The Pilot Sport tires are much louder than the Continentals. You may also see a loss of light snow traction, but the tire will likely wear longer. I ended up going with the Continental DWS in the end.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Yup--- rims bent
Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM

2011 MB E550
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Yup--- rims bent
Thanks all...

had two front wheels bent ..one was quite noticable..other was slight... moved them to rear for now... dont feel much vibration...but i need to get them fixed... discount tires quoted me 360+taxes to get them fixed.. which i feel is quite alot...
any recommendations for wheel repair facilities ? i live in schaumburg IL
Old 07-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 sport
Try Alloy Wheel Repair Naperville, IL 630-886-1776 www.mobilewheelrepair.com.
The following users liked this post:
Riaz25 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Thanks all...

had two front wheels bent ..one was quite noticable..other was slight... moved them to rear for now... dont feel much vibration...but i need to get them fixed... discount tires quoted me 360+taxes to get them fixed.. which i feel is quite alot...
any recommendations for wheel repair facilities ? i live in schaumburg IL

if its bent but not too much , get them fixed , over here Sacramento , CA one shop gave me a quote of 320 for front two (but they were reallly bent and one had a crack on the inside side of it so also had to be welded) , and he was gonna do it there right in front of me , but i thoght that was too much , called another guy , he said 120 and itll be done within 3 days. two times cheaper hell yea....
but if its smth serious check out ebay , or craigslist maybe they someone have some used ones (around 400 for both if you get lucky) good luck
Old 07-29-2016, 12:01 AM

2011 MB E550
Originally Posted by belarus27
if its bent but not too much , get them fixed , over here Sacramento , CA one shop gave me a quote of 320 for front two (but they were reallly bent and one had a crack on the inside side of it so also had to be welded) , and he was gonna do it there right in front of me , but i thoght that was too much , called another guy , he said 120 and itll be done within 3 days. two times cheaper hell yea....
but if its smth serious check out ebay , or craigslist maybe they someone have some used ones (around 400 for both if you get lucky) good luck
they are not too bent ... when everyone suggested to take a look if the wheel was bent...i went straight to see them:P ... and was sure that the problem could be something else until the guy at discount store showed me the bent on his balance machine...

trying to work with warranty now to see if they can approve the claim to get the bent fixed...
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
they are not too bent ... when everyone suggested to take a look if the wheel was bent...i went straight to see them:P ... and was sure that the problem could be something else until the guy at discount store showed me the bent on his balance machine...

trying to work with warranty now to see if they can approve the claim to get the bent fixed...
too bad someone told me that i shoulda called insurance to pay for it when i fixed them already. but it couldnt really wait i guess. let us know if they cover it.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:43 AM

2011 MB E550
Originally Posted by belarus27
too bad someone told me that i shoulda called insurance to pay for it when i fixed them already. but it couldnt really wait i guess. let us know if they cover it.
my insurance has $500 deductible for repairs...so no point filing a claim through them for something that is going to cost less than the deductible amount...
i had purchased tire and wheel warranty when i bought the car... for around $650 (5 years 99k miles)...so far they have been good... they covered cost of 3 new tires after i hit the pothole and now they are also covering repair for two bent wheels...
Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 AM

2011 MB E550
another thing -- i needed advice regarding the noise on small bumps and dips...

ever since i hit the pothole...the ride has never been perfect...got new tires and getting the bent wheels repaired...however i notice loud sounds while driving over small dips and bumps..as if i have driven over a large pothole again... sound is from front wheels primarily passenger front...it is the same wheel/tire that got most damage(flat) when i ran over pothole...
do you think the problem could be suspension? if so would this be covered under warranty?(i have extended warranty not from MB) i expect this to be quite expensive fix..
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Check your ball joints
Old 08-09-2016, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
another thing -- i needed advice regarding the noise on small bumps and dips...

ever since i hit the pothole...the ride has never been perfect...got new tires and getting the bent wheels repaired...however i notice loud sounds while driving over small dips and bumps..as if i have driven over a large pothole again... sound is from front wheels primarily passenger front...it is the same wheel/tire that got most damage(flat) when i ran over pothole...
do you think the problem could be suspension? if so would this be covered under warranty?(i have extended warranty not from MB) i expect this to be quite expensive fix..
ball joints , also check all bolts around there see if they still tight , or it also might be the shock absorber went bad(prolly not but..)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 4-matic; 2010 E350 4-matic Sport
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a similar issue recently. Ran over a huge pothole in my 2010 E350 4MATIC at close to 50 mph. I immediately felt a vibration and heard a sound I've never heard before, and brought it into my local shop (a fantastic one, at that - if you're in the NYC area and need service, I can point you to the ONLY place you want to go). He took one look at the car and said "yup, those wheels bend easier than almost anything else they've ever built", and sure enough, a quick inspection on the lift showed I had basically turned my 2 right-side wheels into eggs. Thankfully, the tires were fine as they are pretty much brand new.

I asked about hammering out the wheels, but he didn't recommend that and said they would never be perfect, so I just ordered 2 brand new wheels (rather than wait for a salvage yard to find some good ones). Needed a couple of new valves as well, and he strongly suggested I do an alignment as well, which was a good thing because mine got thrown very out-of-whack with that hit. All-in, I was looking at nearly $1,500 in total, but it drives beautifully again now!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec
I think your problem can be resolved as easily as fixing your bent wheels maybe looking into different tires. However, if it were me i would just purchase 2 factory wheels rather than attempting to fix them.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Michelin MXM Primacy are very quiet and comfortable to drive.