E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Backup Camera Guide Lines Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
Backup Camera Guide Lines Issue

Is it just me, or is there an issue with the backup camera guidelines being off? Ever since I bought this car, I have been having issues parking straight use the guide lines. The lines look perfectly parallel with the white lines in a parking space even though I can sense that the car is crooked. It has gotten so embarrassing that I have started parking without the camera. Could this be a calibration issue with the guidelines? I never had this problem with my 2012 Acura TL backup camera. Backing up with my Acura camera was always a breeze and allowed me to get in some tight spots, unlike the E300. Any thoughts or suggestions before I reach out to my local MB dealer will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I have the same "problem". The fact is that the lens is not optically correct, its not a defect simply an effect of the field of view. I use the drivers side mirror to straighten out since its optically correct.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
I have the same "problem". The fact is that the lens is not optically correct, its not a defect simply an effect of the field of view. I use the drivers side mirror to straighten out since its optically correct.
I don't get it. How can a backup camera be considered functional if you can't use it to execute a backup that results in the car being straight relevative to some side reference? This seems like an optical defect to me, as the camera should not distort reality that much. Does anyone know of any video that speaks to this issue? I tried Googling but could not find any relevant information.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Oddly because I have owned so many cars with backup cameras that didnt have guidelines, I only use the camera to see how much space i have behind me, and not for positioning my car. I use the side mirror which you can set to fold down to see how close I am to curbs and lines, and then use my eyes to see if I am straight. Therefore, I've never noticed this problem with the lines you are describing but I think I will check it out and see.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by joshg1001
Oddly because I have owned so many cars with backup cameras that didnt have guidelines, I only use the camera to see how much space i have behind me, and not for positioning my car. I use the side mirror which you can set to fold down to see how close I am to curbs and lines, and then use my eyes to see if I am straight. Therefore, I've never noticed this problem with the lines you are describing but I think I will check it out and see.
I think I am going to use the tilt down mirror approach next time. It is funny how technology can sometimes make us too lazy and depenedent to do the obvious.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ardenne90
Is it just me, or is there an issue with the backup camera guidelines being off? Ever since I bought this car, I have been having issues parking straight use the guide lines. The lines look perfectly parallel with the white lines in a parking space even though I can sense that the car is crooked. It has gotten so embarrassing that I have started parking without the camera. Could this be a calibration issue with the guidelines? I never had this problem with my 2012 Acura TL backup camera. Backing up with my Acura camera was always a breeze and allowed me to get in some tight spots, unlike the E300. Any thoughts or suggestions before I reach out to my local MB dealer will be greatly appreciated.
Oh jeeze another issue. What the last 6 digits of your VIN? Maybe we can find when they fixed if they have yet - nothing in the service campaign threads yet.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by expresspotato
Oh jeeze another issue. What the last 6 digits of your VIN? Maybe we can find when they fixed if they have yet - nothing in the service campaign threads yet.
Last six digits of my VIN 031369. Thanks.