E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Media and Comand Online W213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz E200 Avantgarde 2016 + MercedesBenz GLC250 4Matic 2016
Media and Comand Online W213

I just ordered an E200 2017 W213 with widescreen cockpit and COMAND online, what are the main special things in the new screens system?

can i play videos?
does the navigation need any memory cards or cds?
can i use the additional space in the screen for navi as in the sclass?

What special features can i find in it?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
You can download the owner manual here for detailed information on the COMAND system.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals

It cannot play video while the car is moving and you can set up split screen to your preference.
While you can search for the Pro and Con about COMAND in this forum, it might be a good idea to put them in 1 thread here. I'll start.
There are 3 input methods for the same COMAND system. The thumb pad has excellent responsiveness but leaves your arm hanging in the air while using it. Your wrist and elbow will get stressed from the extreme slow method of entering addresses. You can use the voice command, but mine has been spotty and the part dealing with addresses has problem right now. I feel the UI looks beautiful but the menu is clunky because the design must be backward compatible with the archaic wheel selector. There are way more taps and menus to go through even for simple tasks, which requires you to divert your attention from the road more than necessary. OTOH, if you don't have a steady finger or suffer joint pains, the wheel is your only friend. MB tries hard to please everyone but comes up short in this aspect. They should have adopt the touch screen and simplify the menu for more intuitive UI. Porsche, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, GM, Ford, Jaguar, Acura, Infinity, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, and the rest of the world had.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ADD0514; 01-17-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Yep, second most of that. Looks fantastic but it's very clunky. Most common things are easy to access but anything else involves multiple sub menus and pressing back key a lot. Voice command is okay if you remember exact phrases, it's not natural or flexible like siri or okay Google Voice searches. It's such a shame that the system is clunky as like I say, it looks lovely. I'm holding my breath for an update but don't really expect any radical improvement.

The second screen is a must to me. It looks so lovely and clean with excellent resolution. No idea what Which review (where they compare latest BMW to E class) are on about when they say the screen looks tacky in an executive car. I think it totally makes the interior.