E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Stock Suspension vs Air Body Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Soon: 2017 E300 4Matic
Stock Suspension vs Air Body Control

I'm new to the forum, so I would first like to say hi to everyone.

I'm in the market for a 2017 E300 4Matic and am torn between getting the Air Body Control or not. I've read opinions from both sides of the argument but thought I would reach out to the community here for your take.

I've read stock (I'm looking at the sport option) is great as is and that the ABC can add costly repairs down the road...so to speak. I had the Quadra-Lift air suspension on my Jeep GC (vehicle I'm trading in for this) and it was great for off-road and highway driving, but don't know if I get as much bang for my buck with the E300.

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Dave

P.S. I'm also curious on anyone's thoughts about the Acoustic Comfort Package as well!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I live in a warm climate and the acoustic comfort package is well worth the money for the uv and ir blocking in all the windows. It is much better than after market window films. The additional acoustic shielding especially in the floor further reduces road noise in an already quiet car.
The following 2 users liked this post by ua549:
davekarn (01-23-2017), jamesmhood (01-29-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
The name of the game in your Jeep was suspension travel and ride height.

It would seem folks buying luxury sedans do so for crisp handling over their SUV counterparts, making the choice of suspension for anyone not seeking this sportiness a victim of other's enthusiasm. Try and find an E300 or Audi A6 that does not have sport package and bling, ultra low profile tires and wheels. Salesmen look at me like I am from Mars when I tell them I positively do not want it.

The sport model of the E300 is lowered and has relatively stiff springs, although shock compression rate and rebound rate are both adjustable. It does not have the critical extra inch or two of suspension travel the ABC setup provides.

Let us also realize the ubiquitious Sport option will high center in the middle somewhere entering the odd driveway from the street, and scrape the front bumper cover leaving many city parking lots. Several owners have also pulled off their front bumpers on concrete parking ties. Forewarned is forearmed.

The Air Body Control is ride height adjustable along with compression and rebound rate adjustable. In its normal setting it is higher, and has noticeably smoother ride than a standard Sport metal spring car. It lowers and stiffens to approximately the character of the Sport setup, but it does something else critically important.

It rises some inch and a bit, too. This is almost an urban safety feature with the exception of modern (after 1990's) newly developed suburban or rural plots that enforce new rules for driveway approach angles. Even living in such areas is no guarantee that the standard sport suspension will have a scar free from bumper cover for very long, at least in my experience. Not every Sport suspension car suffers this fate and some may even deny this point of view, but I know from personal experience this is a risk.

As for it needing expensive repairs, this is as much a dealer problem in that they charge huge labor rates (less than 50% of this goes to the mechanic, btw) and exorbitant parts retail prices. But, you do need a qualified mechanic familiar with Mercedes in the long or short run. I have two local garages we use for our 2010 MB.

Shocks do wear out, and airbags deteriorate over time. At around 60-70,000 miles a sensitive driver should notice a change in the damping of the suspension on most any car and by 80-100,000, at least the front shocks will be worn to the point ride is affected, if one or both do not give up completely.

At this point one changes the air/shock unit. It is more expensive part than just changing a shock, of course. Then there is the pump, sensors and air circuit that is not infallible either, which is another point of failure. It is a known design principle that more parts yield more likelihood of system failure. So, as good at one can design and make the part, it is pretty inevitable a higher milage car may need air suspension control system repair. A situation that regular suspension does not engender.

The Acoustic Comfort Package is real. Most of the remaining noise from cars comes through the rear area of the car. The ACP has much more noise suppressing materials glued to various panels back there. It has a double laminate of thicker glass, another last frontier for noise, along with infra-red film sandwiched in between. Residents of the southwest would be wise to pay for this option for the IR shielding alone.

What I notice with ACP is the tire noise predominates the cabin on rough surfaces, which is an illusion due to so many other noise sources having been corralled. Since tire noise is highly dependent on road surface it is a bit disconcerting at first, but later on it will be a normal sensation. I believe if the radio is on, there is also anti-noise for the tire noise that dampens this down somewhat. Most luxury cars have this feature these days without making a big deal of it.

Also, I will add this personal opinion gained from long experience: Cars do not need to be lowered to have excellent handling. There are far more important things like camber control, roll centers, adequate suspension travel and the old racer's admonition that while cars sit on their springs, they drive on their shocks. The secret is in the setup and a normal ride height with its extra bit of suspension travel is a very desirable thing in a road car.

Now, if you want to view yourself driving down the boulevard in the reflective glass of a modern building, then I can see why a lowered car might be preferred. But, remember, you sit on the inside much longer than you spend looking at your car.

Hope this overview is helpful.
-=m=-

Last edited by Mike__S; 01-26-2017 at 02:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike__S:
2012 merc amg (12-18-2019), ADD0514 (01-23-2017), davekarn (01-23-2017), jfz219 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 PM

GREAT overview! Thanks for the reply and you make very valid points all around. The wife and I have been debating the ABC due to the worry of expensive cost incurred after the warranty is up. I've also read about the "noises" it makes, but I've had that with the Jeep for years and it doesn't bother me any.

It sounds like if I go with the ABC (and plan on keeping the car for a long time) that it might be worth forking over the extra money for the extended warranty. All the benefits of ABC sound great and I would definitely like to avoid cosmetic damage to the bumper/undercarriage if possible. Plus I've read that it helps improve fuel economy a bit as well.

The acoustic package sounds like like a no brainer and will definitely be opting for that.

Im getting a pretty good deal (from my ignorant perspective) on this car. It'll be a:

Exterior:
- Selenite Grey Metallic
- Wheels: 18-inch AMG 5-spoke
- Sport Wheel Package

Interior:
- Black Leather
- Trim: Natural Grain Black Ash Wood
- Warmth & Comfort Package

Entertainment & Convenience
- Premium 3 Package
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- 12.3-inch widescreen instrument cluster
- Acoustic Comfort Package
- Household-type 115V power outlet

Performance & Safety
- Air Body Control

All that for just over 11% off coming in at $66.5k out the door.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Originally Posted by davekarn
GREAT overview! Thanks for the reply and you make very valid points all around. The wife and I have been debating the ABC due to the worry of expensive cost incurred after the warranty is up. I've also read about the "noises" it makes, but I've had that with the Jeep for years and it doesn't bother me any.

It sounds like if I go with the ABC (and plan on keeping the car for a long time) that it might be worth forking over the extra money for the extended warranty. All the benefits of ABC sound great and I would definitely like to avoid cosmetic damage to the bumper/undercarriage if possible. Plus I've read that it helps improve fuel economy a bit as well.

The acoustic package sounds like like a no brainer and will definitely be opting for that.

Im getting a pretty good deal (from my ignorant perspective) on this car. It'll be a:

Exterior:
- Selenite Grey Metallic
- Wheels: 18-inch AMG 5-spoke
- Sport Wheel Package

Interior:
- Black Leather
- Trim: Natural Grain Black Ash Wood
- Warmth & Comfort Package

Entertainment & Convenience
- Premium 3 Package
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- 12.3-inch widescreen instrument cluster
- Acoustic Comfort Package
- Household-type 115V power outlet

Performance & Safety
- Air Body Control

All that for just over 11% off coming in at $66.5k out the door.
I should have waited! That's a good price for a loaded E300.
You can shop around for the EW and Maintenance packages. Search the forum for leads.
I have an all black interior E300 and had a Selenite Grey Metallic with Burl Walnut and beige interior loaner. I think the loaner's color combination was incredibly sharp. VERY classy looking and totally changed my impression about brighter interior.
The lowered E300 is stiff and you'll definitely scrape the speed bumps. ABC is needed.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ADD0514
I should have waited! That's a good price for a loaded E300.
You can shop around for the EW and Maintenance packages. Search the forum for leads.
I have an all black interior E300 and had a Selenite Grey Metallic with Burl Walnut and beige interior loaner. I think the loaner's color combination was incredibly sharp. VERY classy looking and totally changed my impression about brighter interior.
The lowered E300 is stiff and you'll definitely scrape the speed bumps. ABC is needed.

Hope this helps.
Sure does, thanks for the tips! I would go with a lighter interior myself, however, my first Jeep had the light tan seats and my jeans stained them pretty bad. Love the look, but too high maintenance for me. Plus I have a tyke on the way, so I think black will help with whatever he ends up doing back there! If maintenance wasn't an issue, I'd go with matte paint and beige interior.

How do you like the all black interior and what paint do you have now? I'm torn between obsidian black and selenite grey, but admittedly haven't seen either in person. My Jeep was a max steel (bluish) color and am ready to go back to a more conventional (see: "boring") color.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 PM

E300 P03
Sure does, thanks for the tips! I would go with a lighter interior myself, however, my first Jeep had the light tan seats and my jeans stained them pretty bad. Love the look, but too high maintenance for me. Plus I have a tyke on the way, so I think black will help with whatever he ends up doing back there! If maintenance wasn't an issue, I'd go with matte paint and beige interior.

How do you like the all black interior and what paint do you have now? I'm torn between obsidian black and selenite grey, but admittedly haven't seen either in person. My Jeep was a max steel (bluish) color and am ready to go back to a more conventional (see: "boring") color.
I have a black on black E300. It was the only car in the lot that has the P3 option at the time.
This combo has a lot of presence, but incredibly hard to keep clean. With a growing family, the gray on black combo works better. I always have black interior when my kid was growing up too. A brighter exterior color improve the car's visibility and therefore safety as well.
The following users liked this post:
davekarn (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ADD0514
I have a black on black E300. It was the only car in the lot that has the P3 option at the time.
This combo has a lot of presence, but incredibly hard to keep clean. With a growing family, the gray on black combo works better. I always have black interior when my kid was growing up too. A brighter exterior color improve the car's visibility and therefore safety as well.
Good points! I've never had a black car so that's why I was entertaining the thought. My first new car was a grey 09 Honda Accord w/ black interior. Then it was a grey 13 Jeep GC w/tan interior, and most recently a "max steel" 14 Jeep GC w/ blue and brown interior (pretty nice!).

So, I was hesitant to go back to grey and black, but love the practicality of it and relatively low maintenance too.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:21 PM

E300 P03
Good points! I've never had a black car so that's why I was entertaining the thought. My first new car was a grey 09 Honda Accord w/ black interior. Then it was a grey 13 Jeep GC w/tan interior, and most recently a "max steel" 14 Jeep GC w/ blue and brown interior (pretty nice!).

So, I was hesitant to go back to grey and black, but love the practicality of it and relatively low maintenance too.
I'm glad to be of some help. How about nut brown interior? Or stick with black which is always safe. To be honest, the 2 tones interior improves the flow of the dash quite a bit.
There's a discussion about E class vs. Accord in this forum. Very entertaining.

Last edited by ADD0514; 01-24-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
Nut brown is a great compromise - the seats are brown - door panels and door pull/armrests are also brown. But carpet, dash, lower door panels and headliner (with Sport) are black, which makes them very low maintenance. I eat and drink (Diet Coke) in the car regularly, and it still looks new.
davekarn (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Lanzz
Nut brown is a great compromise - the seats are brown - door panels and door pull/armrests are also brown. But carpet, dash, lower door panels and headliner (with Sport) are black, which makes them very low maintenance. I eat and drink (Diet Coke) in the car regularly, and it still looks new.
I also chose the nut brown for mine I combination with the brown open pore wood. I think the black and brown contrast looks very good, seems very classy. Like a classic cigar smoking room. The aluminum trim in that combo also looks great but a little more sporty.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM

I'll have to check that brown color out in person! I really haven't seen anything in person yet (other than a matte grey AMG...gorgeous). I'm fairly certain I'll go with the selenite grey paint. Just gotta nail down the trim and interior. Appreciate everyone's input!

Anyone have anymore input on the Air Body Control?
Old 01-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Tomorrow is ordering day! Still torn on ABC.

So I guess the one question I have left is, is air body control a "must buy" or can I live my MB owning days ignorantly without it and be 100% content with the way it rides?

I would love to give it a test drive, but no dealers near me have it.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I've had it and would never purchase air suspension. It was standard on my E5. The maintenance costs are simply too high. Struts are upwards of $2k and you'll need them at 50,001 miles.
davekarn (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
The standard E300 without "Sport Wheel Package" is not lowered much and has a good compliant ride already. We considered AirMatic simply because our driveway has such an arch to it at the sidewalk, we need the one inch raised ride height at slow speed.

So, no, I don't think it is essential. It does not react to hard bumps any better (some say louder and harsher than steel suspension), but overall ride is more supple and controlled. It will cost you more money over 100,000 miles. If repaired at the dealer, much more money. This is not a trivial consideration.

One hopes over time such systems become more reliable, if not longer lived. But, I have read nothing to make me think it AirMatic has improved the last four years. Everyone says it will cost wads of cash to keep it in working order over the long haul.
davekarn (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:10 AM

E300 P03
The standard set up offer a creamy, fairly quiet, yet compliant ride - No ABC required unless you want an extra dose of quietness and comfort.
The lowered set up introduces more stiffness and noise to the ride. The front air dam WILL scrape speed bumps, bad dips in the road, steep drive ways, and non standard curbs. ABC is strongly recommended.
davekarn (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! After discussing it with the wife, I think we've settled on getting the Air Body Control, and if at the 4 year mark, we decide we want to keep it for the long haul, then we will purchase the extended warranty for some peace of mind. If we don't want it anymore, then we just sell it off before we have to worry about any potential issues.

I am a little obsessive over keeping my things pristine and scraping the bottom of my front bumper would drive me insane. If this alleviates that, then that offers some mental relief as well.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E450 coupe 2021 SL550 2013
so after three years, whats your take on the air body control for the E?
Old 12-17-2019, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
my 2 cents (after 2+ years): there' no difference between regular & ABC... waste of money
Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1309w
so after three years, whats your take on the air body control for the E?
I think it’s been pretty great. I know it’s not an apples to apples comparison, but it’s definitely noticeable after driving our Pacifica on a road trip and coming back to the Benz.

Drives great in bad conditions too, had a decent snowfall here a month or two ago and felt great (and safe) driving. I definitely don’t regret getting it!
Cerave (12-17-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
i've driven the w213 with both reguar & ABC and notice no difference at all
both drive very well, but i miss that "driving on clouds" feeling you supposed to get with ABC
I also hardly notice a difference in suspension when i switch from confort to sport
the sole advantage with ABC is that you can raise the car ...
Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
i've driven the w213 with both reguar & ABC and notice no difference at all
both drive very well, but i miss that "driving on clouds" feeling you supposed to get with ABC
I also hardly notice a difference in suspension when i switch from confort to sport
the sole advantage with ABC is that you can raise the car ...
That’s fair, I haven’t driven a stock w213 so I don’t have any direct comparisons to make. I do feel a difference between sport and comfort modes though, but I’m guessing that there’ll be varying opinions on that as well.

I do enjoy raising my car when going up my driveway too.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
My E450's are fine without ABC. To me its just unnecessary complexity and if I want a cloud like ride I'll get a S class. I would have actually preferred that my cars rode on 18 inch rims instead of 19's, but thats what they came with. The cars will ride better when I eventually get rid of the run flat tires.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E450 coupe 2021 SL550 2013
thanks all for your opinions. hope to get more.
interested in how the ride differs from my sl with standard suspension, if anyone knows.
agree you will do better without the run flats. i notice a big difference. also prefer the 18's, though i didn't know it before i had it for a while. i'm thinking about an e450 coupe, and will insist they change the 19's for the 18's with all weather tires before purchase