E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Lost all sound...anyone else?

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E CLASS, 4-Matic, P3.
Lost all sound...anyone else?

After gassing up the car today, it lost all sound. No radio, no navigation voice, no phone, nothing. Turned it off and turned it back on, nothing. Took it to the dealer, they didn't know what could be. Left it there.

It hears us. You can tell it to change the radio, navigate and call, but there is no sound.

Anyone else experience this? It's a 4matic p-3, with the 2nd screen. Only 4,800 miles.

Suppose to be leaving on a trip tomorrow and it's going to be a long 3,000 mile trip if the dealer can't figure this out.

On our first 3,000 mile, we were extremely disappointed with the navigation system. We were taking our Garmin on this trip to combat that issue. Over the past few months, decided we really like the car, inspite of the nav. Then today, this happens. So back to being disappointed in it.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E300 P03
Originally Posted by DMRDSM
After gassing up the car today, it lost all sound. No radio, no navigation voice, no phone, nothing. Turned it off and turned it back on, nothing. Took it to the dealer, they didn't know what could be. Left it there.

It hears us. You can tell it to change the radio, navigate and call, but there is no sound.

Anyone else experience this? It's a 4matic p-3, with the 2nd screen. Only 4,800 miles.

Suppose to be leaving on a trip tomorrow and it's going to be a long 3,000 mile trip if the dealer can't figure this out.

On our first 3,000 mile, we were extremely disappointed with the navigation system. We were taking our Garmin on this trip to combat that issue. Over the past few months, decided we really like the car, inspite of the nav. Then today, this happens. So back to being disappointed in it.
Good luck, hope it'll work out for you soon. My E300's COMAND system has many little issues, but nothing major like yours. My dealer tends to keep the car for extended period of time when the issue relates to software or firmware. Did you get a loaner from the dealer? Insist on a nice one for your trip - Multi contour seats and ACC would make that 3000 miles trip a comfortable one. I often have to clean up my loaners and they came with little problems themselves. The last one was a new P2 equipped luxury model which was quite fine while the dealer kept mine for a week.
The Nav system sucks for sure. Limited favorites and clunky entry method make trip planning and impromptu side trips very difficult. I often use Send2Benz instead of the voice command or manual text entry. The lack of route previewing is another glaring issue, specially for road trips.

Last edited by ADD0514; 02-10-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,046 Likes on 693 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580

Im disappointed to hear this. I was hoping the systems bugaboos had been exorcised by now.... Yes, Ive had the same issue (on my C400), the first time only part of the audio system died (satellite radio), that was fixed by the dealer. Lately out of the blue the system just died, I fixed it by finding and pulling the fuse, after the hard "reboot" it worked again. In general the reliability of the audio system has been POOR. Heads up, finding a fuse in MB's is a royal PITA the fuse locations are not in the manual, they hide that on a crappy piece of paper somewhere in the trunk in one of the numerous fuse boxes. Furtheremore, to add insult to injury, its a generic, fuse diagram that may or may not fit your vehicle depending on installed options, definitely not an example of "The Best or Nothing"
The following users liked this post:
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Im disappointed to hear this. I was hoping the systems bugaboos had been exorcised by now.... Yes, Ive had the same issue (on my C400), the first time only part of the audio system died (satellite radio), that was fixed by the dealer. Lately out of the blue the system just died, I fixed it by finding and pulling the fuse, after the hard "reboot" it worked again. In general the reliability of the audio system has been POOR. Heads up, finding a fuse in MB's is a royal PITA the fuse locations are not in the manual, they hide that on a crappy piece of paper somewhere in the trunk in one of the numerous fuse boxes. Furtheremore, to add insult to injury, its a generic, fuse diagram that may or may not fit your vehicle depending on installed options, definitely not an example of "The Best or Nothing"
Originally Posted by ADD0514
Good luck, hope it'll work out for you soon. My E300's COMAND system has many little issues, but nothing major like yours. My dealer tends to keep the car for extended period of time when the issue relates to software or firmware. Did you get a loaner from the dealer? Insist on a nice one for your trip - Multi contour seats and ACC would make that 3000 miles trip a comfortable one. I often have to clean up my loaners and they came with little problems themselves. The last one was a new P2 equipped luxury model which was quite fine while the dealer kept mine for a week.
The Nav system sucks for sure. Limited favorites and clunky entry method make trip planning and impromptu side trips very difficult. I often use Send2Benz instead of the voice command or manual text entry. The lack of route previewing is another glaring issue, specially for road trips.
Yeah, we dislike a lot of the command system things also. Yes, we use the send to benz all of the time (when it works) because the navigate to contact only will navigate to two out of 200+ contacts. Dealer couldn't help.

We've had navs in Toyota/Lexus models since 2006 and didn't realize a nav system in this day and age could be so so bad.

On our last 3,000 mile trip, the primary screen froze on us. No nav, was stuck on a radio channel, etc. We drove to a reststop, turned it off and prayed. Thankfully it came back. Never had aToyota product do that.

We did get a loaner. But we're going to be gone for three weeks, driving 3,000 miles, so assume they won't let us have it for the trip. If they can't fix it today, we will have to decide if we drive it without sound or take our 2016 Tacoma Limited. At least the nav in that will get us there safely.

Last edited by DMRDSM; 02-10-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
Happened to me once - no sound from anything. Came back by itself the next morning before I could do anything about it.
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Also lost all sound (except parktronic) today, although NTG5 on a W222 but the head units are similar even if not the same.

Sometimes the head unit freezes but a watch-dog resets it, have to wait quite a long time for the reset. Today it was different, navigation worked fine (no audio), radio unavailable for the whole trip. Everything recovered after the car was switched off.

Difficult to say if one would be willing to give away some features to get better stability.
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:54 PM

E300 P03
The black out occurred to me once for about 5 minutes upon starting the car few weeks ago. It seemed the COMAND system rebooted itself then came back. Haven't seen it again and the dealer had no idea what happened.
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM

E300 P03
On our last 3,000 mile trip, the primary screen froze on us. No nav, was stuck on a radio channel, etc. We drove to a reststop, turned it off and prayed. Thankfully it came back. Never had aToyota product do that.

We did get a loaner. But we're going to be gone for three weeks, driving 3,000 miles, so assume they won't let us have it for the trip. If they can't fix it today, we will have to decide if we drive it without sound or take our 2016 Tacoma Limited. At least the nav in that will get us there safely.
I don't think there's a restriction on the loaner's mileage - At least none was mentioned by my service dept. or in the "rental" contract. They sounded more concerned with windshield chips and curb-rash to the wheels. The length of time could be a sticky point, but you're being inconvenienced by a warrantied issue. I'm certain the dealer will bend backward so you will give them the highest rating in the post service survey. During my 2nd trip to the dealer, the SA forgot me and I kept the loaner for 2 weeks - The issue was corrected in 2 days and the car was sitting in the lot all that time. So, I'm sure they can accommodate your plan one way or another.
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lanzz
Happened to me once - no sound from anything. Came back by itself the next morning before I could do anything about it.
Yeah, we dislike a lot of the command system things also. Yes, we use the send to benz all of the time (when it works) because the navigate to contact only will navigate to two out of 200+ contacts. Dealer couldn't help.

We've had navs in Toyota/Lexus models since 2006 and didn't realize a nav system in this day and age could be so so bad.

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Also lost all sound (except parktronic) today, although NTG5 on a W222 but the head units are similar even if not the same.

Sometimes the head unit freezes but a watch-dog resets it, have to wait quite a long time for the reset. Today it was different, navigation worked fine (no audio), radio unavailable for the whole trip. Everything recovered after the car was switched off.

Difficult to say if one would be willing to give away some features to get better stability.

Thank you for all of the replies. Sounds like it's a Merc issue no matter the model. Paying $70,000 plus for a MB, I thought I was going to get "the best". Know I googled the screen freeze when that happened a couple of months ago. There were hundreds of threads on that spanning several years. Didn't realize Mercs had that weakness.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM

E300 P03
Paying $70,000 plus for a MB, I thought I was going to get "the best"... Didn't realize Mercs had that weakness.
All cars have some Pros and Cons - We need to look at both side then decide whether the Pros outweigh the Cons. The COMAND system is essentially a highly complex computing device - As an IT guy, I learned that all systems have some kind of fault and they were designed by a guy named Murphy.

Best
Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,046 Likes on 693 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by ADD0514
All cars have some Pros and Cons - We need to look at both side then decide whether the Pros outweigh the Cons. The COMAND system is essentially a highly complex computing device - As an IT guy, I learned that all systems have some kind of fault and they were designed by a guy named Murphy.

Best
True, but MB command system suffers from lot more gremlins. Particularly for owners that are used to Japanese brand systems. Of note, late Acura systems seem to be very bad too according to consumer reports.
DMRDSM (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
True, but MB command system suffers from lot more gremlins. Particularly for owners that are used to Japanese brand systems. Of note, late Acura systems seem to be very bad too according to consumer reports.
Yeah, guess that's our problem. We have a Toyota Tacoma currently and our last three cars were Toys. We've owned a total of 5 Toyota's and never had issues. All the navs in those were wonderful and so were the overall cars. We just trade every 3 years to get the latest and greatest Nav system. Never a reset, never a freeze, never telling me to go right, when I'm suppose to go left. Announcing interstate and freeway turns in a timely manner with comprehensive graphics. We took the wrong flyover split, got lost and took the scenic route no less then 4-5 times on our last 3,000 mile Benz trip. A trip we had made countless times before with our Toys. Used Google maps on my phone the way back home just to compare, laugh and curse at what the Benz's nav was doing. This time we're taking our Garmin with that we use for rental cars.

Yeah, if you're a nav dependent Toyota/Lexus person......it's disappointing. We were hoping to be Merc owners from here on out, but when our lease is up, the command system may end up being the deal breaker. Do love about everything else about the Merc. The headlights, the massage seats, the hot seats, the distronic, the handling....just not the nav.

We did get our car back. When we took it in, the SA was able to duplicate the issue. Then after a couple of hours, when the tech got to it, he couldn't. They did do a software update on it. Will see how this next 3,000 mile trip goes.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 E300 Sport
They did do a software update on it.
Software update? You should have the advanced Drive Pilot features now!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sunrose305
Software update? You should have the advanced Drive Pilot features now!
Yeah, right. LOL
Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
Safe journeys, hoping you have good news to report when you get back.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
I have had the same problem in the past couple weeks. I noticed it after getting a car was at my local MB dealer. Started the car, pulled out without letting the command screen fully load, nonetheless when the radio screen came on I could see what was playing but I couldn't hear it. I also had my phone paired to the car. I had a call come in, I could speak to them but they could not hear me. What I ended up having to do to quick fix was go to settings and factory reset, which worked. It is a PITA because you need to repair all devices to a brand new password. This has been a part of a larger issue I have had with MBrace. The sos connectivity seems to be intermittent, and the live traffic and internet connectivity does not get a connection. Spoke with Brace, got the tech who sent out the refresh signal that took about an hour to get from Germany and back, but he also said this is a known issue. They need to reauthorize the vehicle with the account from what I've gathered. Regardless huge drawback from a $65K vehicle. I have an appointment with MB this morning. I have a running list of issues I have had with a bit over of a month of delivery. 1. No sound 2. Intermittent connectivity. 3. Weird high frequency beeping (kinda like when you get a hearing test and you hear that very faint beeping in the distance, yet I hear it when my radio is working) 3. Steering wheel squeaks when I make turns or turn the wheel even a quarter of a turn. 4. Driver door does not close completely unless you completely slam the door (tested all other doors and just a quick close for those). Some of these are just minuscule but it is the principle behind the brand for me. I will let you guys know what they say about the sound today.
Sunrose305 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by JLino
I have had the same problem in the past couple weeks. I noticed it after getting a car was at my local MB dealer. Started the car, pulled out without letting the command screen fully load, nonetheless when the radio screen came on I could see what was playing but I couldn't hear it. I also had my phone paired to the car. I had a call come in, I could speak to them but they could not hear me. What I ended up having to do to quick fix was go to settings and factory reset, which worked. It is a PITA because you need to repair all devices to a brand new password. This has been a part of a larger issue I have had with MBrace. The sos connectivity seems to be intermittent, and the live traffic and internet connectivity does not get a connection. Spoke with Brace, got the tech who sent out the refresh signal that took about an hour to get from Germany and back, but he also said this is a known issue. They need to reauthorize the vehicle with the account from what I've gathered. Regardless huge drawback from a $65K vehicle. I have an appointment with MB this morning. I have a running list of issues I have had with a bit over of a month of delivery. 1. No sound 2. Intermittent connectivity. 3. Weird high frequency beeping (kinda like when you get a hearing test and you hear that very faint beeping in the distance, yet I hear it when my radio is working) 3. Steering wheel squeaks when I make turns or turn the wheel even a quarter of a turn. 4. Driver door does not close completely unless you completely slam the door (tested all other doors and just a quick close for those). Some of these are just minuscule but it is the principle behind the brand for me. I will let you guys know what they say about the sound today.
Had some of the same issues you stated, get ready to leave your car for a week or two until Germany can get it fixed. Haven't received mine back yet
JLino (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:59 PM

E350
Update for the day; My SA was able to replicate the no sound issue more than 3 times while in park. He seemed confused. I told him how to fix it but said it sounds like a software issue. I am hoping this gets resolved sooner than later. When I spoke with Mbrace last week they said the two techs would need to speak to one another to get the issue fixed. The other issues are what concern me. The steering column squeak sounds like when you stack two plastic cups and turn the inner one and the noise they make against each other. Either way I got an E300 P1 much better than the C300 they had me in this morning. He says a few days but im hoping its not weeks like MBRACER... @Mbracer26 what did your SA tell you? Any updates? I will post again with what they tell me.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM

E350
Alright so 2 days at the dealer and I just got my vehicle back. MY SA had to show the tech the no volume issue since it wouldn't do it while he was, so my SA showed him and sure enough it had no noise. They said they had to reauthorize and a new software upgrade. Other items were fixed as well, door now locks without slamming, upgrade seems to have taken the beeping noise as well. The only thing that I had to ask about was the fact that they couldn't replicate the steering column squeaking, and it turns out that it is the side bolsters releasing air after the completion of the turn, which I tested by turning them off and trying to replicate and it indeed was the culprit. So I assume if your having this issue, just tell your SA that it needs the software upgrade and it should fix the problem right away.
Diesel Benz (02-16-2017)