E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Tire Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My extended mobility tires give me all the piece of mind I need. And at zero extra cost.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
My extended mobility tires give me all the piece of mind I need. And at zero extra cost.
Several years ago, I was commuting home, driving at night on the 405 freeway through Long Beach, CA in my Lexus LS430. Traffic was heavy but moving fast. I was probably going 65 or 70 in the fast lane when my right front tire hit something, I'm not sure what. I was able to get over to the right shoulder. I looked at the fairly new Michelin tire and it was severely damaged. "Shredded" might be a word. I stood way off to the side, perhaps 30 feet from the car and phoned AAA, but before they could come a Metro tow truck stopped. The driver put my unused, FULL SIZE SPARE (Thank you Lexus!) on the car, put my damaged one in the trunk and I was home for dinner.

If I had been depending on Run Flat Tires, with no spare in the trunk, I would have been in the cab of the tow truck, as my car was towed off the freeway. I would have probably had to rent a car and then go through the whole hassle of getting my car back the next day.

Run flat tires or conventional tires, NOTHING beats having a spare in the trunk.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Until you are stranded in the boonies for a few days waiting for a replacement tire. RFT or extended mobility tires won't help with sidewall damage.

Last week in Tampa I had to wait 3 days for a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 245/45ZR18 tires. If I didn't have friends nearby to take me home, I'd have been in a hotel at a cost of several hundred dollars.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Extended mobility tires can be driven with sidewall damage. The downside to this situation is upon driving to the tire shop the tire is unrepairable.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
If you live in the boonies, then finding a tire at a dealership is not easy. For me, there are 10 MB dealerships within 50 miles so tires are readily available.

Runflats can still be driven with holes in the sidewall. We had a 2 finger size hole in our BMW Goodyear 19 inch runflat and drove it 10+ miles to my dealership without a problem.

If I had to drive 100 miles then I would have had a big problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Several years ago I saw a demonstration wherein an inch and a half hole was created in the sidewall of an extended mobility tire.

Looking at the car one could not tell the left rear tire was totally deflated.

At the conclusion of the demonstration the car was driven away.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by ua549
Until you are stranded in the boonies for a few days waiting for a replacement tire. RFT or extended mobility tires won't help with sidewall damage.

Last week in Tampa I had to wait 3 days for a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 245/45ZR18 tires. If I didn't have friends nearby to take me home, I'd have been in a hotel at a cost of several hundred dollars.
I agree, since I live in the boonies and 50 miles very often gets me nowhere. Personally if I have to suck up not having a spare Id rather use regular tires and as fix a flat kit (as I already do). I keep a full size spare in the garage in case of (local) emergency.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 300E
These RFT discussions are unbelievable. How can a luxury car manufacturer not 'vent' a component as crucial as tires. If there is anything on a car that is more critical than tires, I'd sure like to know what it is. And this is exercising due diligence??
Old 02-22-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
It'sl not a safety issue, it's one of convenience. So the manufactures are giving it due consideration and aren't degrading safety. In some ways they improve safety by allowing you to drive, with a flat or even damaged tyre, to a place of safety

The negative is, they consider having fitted rft, they don't then need to fit a spare wheel. I hate that and think it's crazy. The wife's car not only has a spare, it's a full sized matching alloy! Expensive and quite heavy but already been useful after she picked up a nail and slow leak

If my car didn't have different size tyres front/rear I'd be sorely tempted to carry a spare around. I do hope manufactures eventually wise up to the dislike of these tyres.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM

2017 300E
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
It'sl not a safety issue, it's one of convenience. So the manufactures are giving it due consideration and aren't degrading safety. In some ways they improve safety by allowing you to drive, with a flat or even damaged tyre, to a place of safety

The negative is, they consider having fitted rft, they don't then need to fit a spare wheel. I hate that and think it's crazy. The wife's car not only has a spare, it's a full sized matching alloy! Expensive and quite heavy but already been useful after she picked up a nail and slow leak

If my car didn't have different size tyres front/rear I'd be sorely tempted to carry a spare around. I do hope manufactures eventually wise up to the dislike of these tyres.
Sorry, but this is an issue we just won't agree on. At a minimu m, MB or the dealer should disclose the type of tires to be installed on a new car before delivery and give the customer a choice. They give you alternatives on wheel size, etc. Why not tires? As it is now, it's a matter of 'take it or leave it'.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is no way to determine tire brands in advance because manufacturers use several brands of tires. It is a supply issue. If you want a specific tire, put it in the sales contract. I have an order for a 2018 E300 that specifies that Good Year tires are unacceptable and if the car arrives from the factory with Good Year tires the dealer will install OEM Pirelli tires at no cost.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by johnmc1
Sorry, but this is an issue we just won't agree on. At a minimu m, MB or the dealer should disclose the type of tires to be installed on a new car before delivery and give the customer a choice. They give you alternatives on wheel size, etc. Why not tires? As it is now, it's a matter of 'take it or leave it'.
I don't believe we disagree at all. I'd rather a choice of tyre type and I'd rather the option of a full size jack over a repair kit/pump and is rather then have a repair kit/pump over rft. I'd rather rft didn't exist at all. What I was saying is that it's a fallacy rft are dangerous, they are in most cases the opposite, but they are just inconvenient, expensive, hard/impossible to repair and ruin the ride quality hence safety aspect is totally overshadowed by those negatives.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by johnmc1
I thought it was obvious why they and every other manufacturer does it. They do it to shave weight off the car. Every ounce/pound that they take off, increases the gas mileage by a slight amount. It just makes their CAFE numbers worse so they have to juggle the needs of the customer with the mandates by the government. There's lots of other regulations they have to meet too. Sometimes mandates by the government beat the wishes of the buyer.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:14 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I thought it was obvious why they and every other manufacturer does it. They do it to shave weight off the car. Every ounce/pound that they take off, increases the gas mileage by a slight amount. It just makes their CAFE numbers worse so they have to juggle the needs of the customer with the mandates by the government. There's lots of other regulations they have to meet too. Sometimes mandates by the government beat the wishes of the buyer.
That's true to some extent but they still fit 19 inch wheels when 17 inch have less mass to accelerate and usually narrower tyres so you get better mileage. The different wheel size can push cars in the UK across business/vehicle tax bands (so 19 inch rims could cost you money every year) yet manufacturers still fit big boy wheels for kerb appeal.

I'm guessing saving weight of a spare wheel and jack, which is out of sight and out of mind (till it's needed!) is an easier sell to the public than smaller wheels.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 PM

2017 300E
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
That's true to some extent but they still fit 19 inch wheels when 17 inch have less mass to accelerate and usually narrower tyres so you get better mileage. The different wheel size can push cars in the UK across business/vehicle tax bands (so 19 inch rims could cost you money every year) yet manufacturers still fit big boy wheels for kerb appeal.

I'm guessing saving weight of a spare wheel and jack, which is out of sight and out of mind (till it's needed!) is an easier sell to the public than smaller wheels.
Sure they are out of sight. But, from my point of view, they don't give you a choice...it's take it or leave it. Given a choice, what would most buyers choose?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 AM

E220d
Me, I'd choose 18 inch with standard tyres and a space saver spare and jack.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 550 (2016)
It is worse than we think. The bubbles apparently can form on the inner walls where you will not see them. These tires need to be redesigned or abandoned. There is no peace of mind. I am now at a dealer having two replaced at 9000 miles. A third was replaced at 3000 miles, all with routine driving in SoCal. Shame on Mercedes.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by woppenhe
It is worse than we think. The bubbles apparently can form on the inner walls where you will not see them. These tires need to be redesigned or abandoned. There is no peace of mind. I am now at a dealer having two replaced at 9000 miles. A third was replaced at 3000 miles, all with routine driving in SoCal. Shame on Mercedes.
I went and looked at the new Lincoln Continental the other day. When I opened the very spacious trunk, there it was: A bright, chrome, little handle flush with the trunk floor. I pulled it and lifted and the view was magnificent! A beautiful compact spare, a jack and tools. Without taking anything away from MB, this new Lincoln is PACKED with technology. If Lincoln can make room for a spare, this engineering juggernaut known as Mercedes-Benz surely can.

Even though the idea of RFT & no spare are certainly linked, they are distinct and separate issues. If MB insists on continuing to deliver their cars with these ridiculous RFT, I can deal with that, by just switching them out. However, when they take steps to try and PREVENT owners from obtaining a spare, they have gone way too far.

Run Flat Tires are the KISS OF DEATH! No jack & spare is just plain stupid. Tell EVERY MB employee you have contact with.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Mbracer26
The biggest insult is, the e43 gets the normal 21 gallon gas tank while the e300 gets the bs 17 gallon one. FU MBUSA, give me back my extra 4 gallons or increase fuel efficiency.
Those 4 gallons plus the weight of the spare are probably worth 1 MPG. That's why they do it. My guess is the E43 and E300 have approximately the same range. That 25% extra fuel is to compensate for the same percentage of less efficiency!!!!! Personally I have been surprised at the 43's fuel economy it usually gets 27 MPG highway. about 1 mpg less than my C400.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
Earlier this year I picked up 2 nails in the same tire within a two month period. And in both cases, my dealer replaced the tire as part of what the Service Manager called customer goodwill. They even picked up my car at my home (50 miles from the dealership) and provided loaners in both cases. My only issue was having to drive around in a not so well-equipped C300, which felt a little bit cramped in the cabin. But of course, I did not complain-
Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Those 4 gallons plus the weight of the spare are probably worth 1 MPG. That's why they do it. My guess is the E43 and E300 have approximately the same range. That 25% extra fuel is to compensate for the same percentage of less efficiency!!!!! Personally I have been surprised at the 43's fuel economy it usually gets 27 MPG highway. about 1 mpg less than my C400.
Travel range in cars has decreased over the past several years. Since the 1974 oil embargo all of my road trip cars have had auxiliary fuel tanks added so I can drive a half day (12 hours) without refueling. If I had an E43 or E400, I would still add an auxiliary tank.

My under powered E300 won't be taken on road trips. It's strictly a town car (grocery getter).
Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by ardenne90
Earlier this year I picked up 2 nails in the same tire within a two month period. And in both cases, my dealer replaced the tire as part of what the Service Manager called customer goodwill. They even picked up my car at my home (50 miles from the dealership) and provided loaners in both cases. My only issue was having to drive around in a not so well-equipped C300, which felt a little bit cramped in the cabin. But of course, I did not complain-
You have an issue with the loaner after getting a free tire and the dealership driving 50 miles to pick up your car.

You should get on your knees and thank them. Your dealer went out of his way to make you happy.

Furthermore the dealer owed you nothing, absolutely nothing. The tires are the tire company's responsibility.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ardenne90
You bring in a $29K CLA for service and they loan you a $29K CLA. You bring in a $130K S550 for service and they loan you a $29K CLA. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

The comped new tire was a great gesture of goodwill on the dealer's part.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not all dealers provide loaners. Be grateful that you don't have to rent a car.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
Originally Posted by Streamliner
You bring in a $29K CLA for service and they loan you a $29K CLA. You bring in a $130K S550 for service and they loan you a $29K CLA. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

The comped new tire was a great gesture of goodwill on the dealer's part.
I should also mention that they also had to keep my car for more than 2 weeks to troubleshoot and replace the Comand unit because it was randomly rebooting while driving. I can't speak for other areas, but premium dealerships I have dealt with in the past have similarly gone above and beyond. I think it may have something to do with the level of competition in Socal. We do have a lot of choices and dealers compete vigorously for our business. So creating long-term customer goodwill is a good business strategy. For example, an Acura dealership screwed up my servicing paperwork, which prevented me from picking up my vehicke after service department hours (previously arranged). Not only did they drop off my vehicle the next day, the manager also offered to take my family to dinner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.