G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G36 Tuning Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G320 • ML320 • 300D
G36 Tuning Issues

Quick History...
Replaced my worn out M104 3.2L Engine with M104 3.6L AMG engine from a C36. Europa used the ECU from W210.055 to be compliant us USA Regulations. This ECU also has built in Immobilizer. Had the ECU re-programmed by SpeedTuningUSA for 3.6L. There is a 6 month additional history of issues, but this is where I'm at now...
I was able to successfully use the Air Intake from the AMG engine along with my original MAF Sensor. Since then I haven’t had any additional vacuum related issues.

The power related symptoms still exist.
+ The engine is now revving through the entire RPM range without back-fires or going into limp mode.
+ The engine idles smooth; although when the air pump switches on (typically only for a few seconds), the engine drops a few RPM’s then immediately corrects itself.
- The engine appears to run at full power until the engine warms up to around 60°C.
- When the engine warms to approx. 60°C, it loses around 15% of the power. The change is often subtle.
- When the engine warms to approx. 85°C, it loses more than 50% of the power. If you happen to be accelerating when this occurs, the change is like flipping a switch and power is turned off.
- While travelling on the Interstate at normal temperature, from 50% throttle to 100% throttle (on the actual pedal) has virtually no change at all.

This weekend, I went to the junk yard and picked up an additional temperature sender. In order to test my theory, I connected the 4-pin temperature sender to the wiring harness (leaving this unit loose and leaving the original screwed into the thermostat). Of course this one is reading a lower temperature, and I get all of my power back!

I swapped the senders in case the original was bad. It wasn’t bad, and everything was identical as listed above.

I don't know how to proceed from here!?!