G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

02 G500 upgrades/facelifts (G-Newbie)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 G500
02 G500 upgrades/facelifts (G-Newbie)

Hello everyone, just picked up a 2002 G500. Aesthetically speaking for now I've seen tons of different facelifts upgrades etc. around the internet. Figured id jump into the MBWorld and ask yall what you think are the best places for parts, whats good quality, what a waste of time and all that. Looking into new headlights, grilles, mirrors, drls, bumpers, taillights, wheels, door sills all that jazz.
Love for you guys to share some of your pics and experiences on your own facelifts and upgrades
Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 , 2006 G500
There are a lot of places to get the real deal MB OEM facelift parts.

http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/
http://fourbyfourclub.com/

As far as decent knock offs, my go to is 55tech which is a chinese importer based out of las vegas.

http://55tech.com/collections/w463-1990-2013
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM
3WD
SPONSOR

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by LoganB
Hello everyone, just picked up a 2002 G500. Aesthetically speaking for now I've seen tons of different facelifts upgrades etc. around the internet. Figured id jump into the MBWorld and ask yall what you think are the best places for parts, whats good quality, what a waste of time and all that. Looking into new headlights, grilles, mirrors, drls, bumpers, taillights, wheels, door sills all that jazz.
Love for you guys to share some of your pics and experiences on your own facelifts and upgrades
Hello,

Congrats on your new G500, we hope you'll enjoy your G.

Here's our suggestion. As for all the upgrades you're looking for. Try to go as Genuine as possible. Quality, craftsmanship, and fitment, of course Genuine MB parts are the best. Now, we're not knocking on knock off parts, but they are knock off parts for a reason. Just be patient and look around, you'll find good deals on genuine MB parts all the time on MB World.

We aren't replying to your post to sell you anything, but just in case you are looking, let us know and we can see what we have to offer you.

Remember one thing, at the end of the day it's your money, your car, and I'm sure you want to make sure you install the best product for the best value.

Thank you for your time!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550

I just finished a facelift on a 2011 G550 and can tell you that the folks at 3WD know what they are talking about between OEM parts and the replica parts. I swapped out wheels, mufflers, fenders, grill, bumper, light housings etc...and the ONLY part I bought that was not OEM was the headlight housings (not gonna say where I got them!!), and sure enough its the only part that still bugs me to this day because it doesn't have a good snug fit!!!!

I got all my parts from either 3WD (they have used parts they will sell off the projects they are working on) and Mercteil (shipping is alot the the parts are cheaper)....

BTW - Tail lights I have are also not OEM, but fit and wire up extremely easy (55Tech).
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 AM

2002 G500
Thanks for the help guys.
wlee69, yours looks great. When you did the mufflers did you change it to have the dual side amg style exit and tips too? I've been looking at that, idk if it comes stock on the 2011. My 02 has 3 mufflers would you just get rid of the 3rd? Never really seen a system like that

3WD, i'll definetly be looking into your website thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys.
wlee69, yours looks great. When you did the mufflers did you change it to have the dual side amg style exit and tips too? I've been looking at that, idk if it comes stock on the 2011. My 02 has 3 mufflers would you just get rid of the 3rd? Never really seen a system like that

3WD, i'll definetly be looking into your website thanks
The AMG mufflers are all one piece (muffler and tips), so all I did on mine is swap out the existing and add these on. For your year I think you need something like this https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/p...ss-w463-models to be able to add the AMG mufflers on (assuming you want to stay with OEM stuff)
Old 06-06-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
the AMG mufflers can be welded for a nominal price at a local muffler shop. BUT you will need these mounting brackets:
https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/p...63-550-muffler
Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM

2011 E550 , 2006 G500
Originally Posted by wlee69

I just finished a facelift on a 2011 G550 and can tell you that the folks at 3WD know what they are talking about between OEM parts and the replica parts. I swapped out wheels, mufflers, fenders, grill, bumper, light housings etc...and the ONLY part I bought that was not OEM was the headlight housings (not gonna say where I got them!!), and sure enough its the only part that still bugs me to this day because it doesn't have a good snug fit!!!!

I got all my parts from either 3WD (they have used parts they will sell off the projects they are working on) and Mercteil (shipping is alot the the parts are cheaper)....

BTW - Tail lights I have are also not OEM, but fit and wire up extremely easy (55Tech).
When it comes to something like fenders, wheels, and bumpers I would definitely go OEM as well. The thing I liked about the 55tech grill and headlight covers was the fact that they already came painted to my color code, and it wasnt a part that was going to see a bunch of abuse. 2 years later and the paint still looks good and the grill and LED headlight kit from them is still holding up nicely, and I probably saved close to a couple of grand not going with OEM for those 3 parts.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 AM

2002 G500
kotton, the paint does look good. Unfortunately mine is that "midnight" blue color, not sure if thats the actually color name but regardless I haven't seen any aftermarket facelift parts pre-painted in that color.

Has anyone bought the depo projector headlights? if so any issues?

Im thinking of keeping my original bumper and not changing to the 63 but rather a newer g550 look because I have a brush guard already mounted, id have to buy a new one for the 63 bumper etc. but if i do that i want to add the bar under the bumper. I've seen it called an under bumper chassis guard on eBay its the only one I've seen so far but there is only 1 and they want $600 for it. Is that about right seems a little steep for just that but maybe I'm wrong. the picture attached has the bar I'm referring to.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:58 AM

2002 G500
Also, theres no way to run DRL's with the brush guard i have currently. Anyone ever heard of being able to just change the bar itself out with the newer elongated style made for DRL's? I know it can be take off to paint etc. but I'm not sure the new style bar would even fit. Just figured id ask, never know.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Also, theres no way to run DRL's with the brush guard i have currently. Anyone ever heard of being able to just change the bar itself out with the newer elongated style made for DRL's? I know it can be take off to paint etc. but I'm not sure the new style bar would even fit. Just figured id ask, never know.
You can't just change the bars out because the lower portion mounts to the bar itself...the mount hole will be in the wrong place....and the G63 bull bar only mounts to the new bumper

Take a look at my post a year ago as I went thru the same thought process as you!!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...e-11-g550.html

I mounted the LEDs on and then cut the portion of the bar around the headlights so that it wasn't in the way. I also have the G55 lower skid plate and lower bar (they do together as the bar mounts to the silver skid plate).

I've got all this stuff sitting in my basement. PM me if you are interested. I can also sell you just the round bar for the top portion of the bull bar so you do not have to cut the one you have (if you wanna go that route). That way you keep your same veritcal mounts (part the attaches to the bumper) and you just replace the chrome bar portion up top.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 PM

2002 G500
wlee69, sent you a pm.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:18 PM

2011 E550 , 2006 G500
kotton, the paint does look good. Unfortunately mine is that "midnight" blue color, not sure if thats the actually color name but regardless I haven't seen any aftermarket facelift parts pre-painted in that color.

Has anyone bought the depo projector headlights? if so any issues?

Im thinking of keeping my original bumper and not changing to the 63 but rather a newer g550 look because I have a brush guard already mounted, id have to buy a new one for the 63 bumper etc. but if i do that i want to add the bar under the bumper. I've seen it called an under bumper chassis guard on eBay its the only one I've seen so far but there is only 1 and they want $600 for it. Is that about right seems a little steep for just that but maybe I'm wrong. the picture attached has the bar I'm referring to.

Yea with midnight blue your kind of SOL with pre-painted stuff. I did look into the depo's before I ultimately decided on the speaker headlights. The depo's had a lot of mixed reviews being hit and miss quality issues like fogging up. I was also drawn to the fact that the speaker lights were LED based and not xenon.