G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Fender Bender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Fender Bender

Well, after two weeks of ownership and fun with the G a driver crossed my path in one of Massachusetts's famous rotaries. Just took a left into my lane without any signal or warning. I hit him on the left rear fender and spun him into the center section of the rotary. Looks like damage to only the lower front bumper section and the crash bar. The bar actually absorbed most of the hit on the right over-ride section. I suppose it will be a new lower section and new crash bar along with an adjustment to the frame mounting. The funny thing about the whole incident is that I really didn't feel a thing. Not even a jolt. The truck just absorbed the impact without any drama. Already at the dealer for repairs. I'll follow up with the results.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 PM
haa

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by pdeacon
Well, after two weeks of ownership and fun with the G a driver crossed my path in one of Massachusetts's famous rotaries. Just took a left into my lane without any signal or warning. I hit him on the left rear fender and spun him into the center section of the rotary. Looks like damage to only the lower front bumper section and the crash bar. The bar actually absorbed most of the hit on the right over-ride section. I suppose it will be a new lower section and new crash bar along with an adjustment to the frame mounting. The funny thing about the whole incident is that I really didn't feel a thing. Not even a jolt. The truck just absorbed the impact without any drama. Already at the dealer for repairs. I'll follow up with the results.
Prepare your self for sticker shock, the bar alone is 4K and the lower section/bumper another 4K so I would estimate 10K for your "fender bender". Thankfully no one was hurt!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Still trying to get the insurance wrapped up and repairs underway. So far I've received the cost of the brush guard ($3,400) and the lower bumper panel ($1,400) It appears one of the air conditioning condensers is pushed back against the frame, so that will need to be taken care of. All things considered, not as costly as I had anticipated. Of course I don't have a labor estimate yet. Just want this done so that I can get my truck back! Work is being conducted by a MB certified collision center. That gives me some peace of mind.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Finally got the insurance side wrapped up. Total about $5,400. Includes new brush guard and new lower bumper panel. They even waived my deductible after determining I was not at fault. Just need to wait it out to completion. All's well that ends well.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Got the truck back without the brush guard. Seems there is one part that is needed before they can mount the bar and that needs to come from Germany. The repair shop is looking at another week so I opted to drive it without the bar. Total cost of repairs is $6K. In a way I actually like the look without the bar but want it back the way it came. Glad to be back in the G. I must say it has become my favorite ride.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 AM

Finally have the truck finished. Really a superb job by a MB certified body shop. Couldn't be more pleased. Looking forward to a road trip in November. The more I drive this thing the more I like it. It has become more than a "utility" vehicle and turned into my daily driver.