G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G550 2016: Some advise and information needed!!!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S Class 2015
G550 2016: Some advise and information needed!!!

Hi Guys,

I'm head-on-heals in love with the G-Class and have narrowed on G550 2016 model for purchase. However, before I proceed any further with buying this awe inspiring machine, I was researching on feedback and long term reviews of the car. There are certain observations, in common, which I detail here and require comments from the owners of G-class. As these points are the ones that have caused dilemma for me:-

1) Wind Noise: This is a one of the commons "cons" that I've noted from reviews of various previous years' models. Is the wind noise at highway speed really bad?

2) On-road Handling / Steering feed-back: I can understand how heavy the handling of a car with this kind of weight can be. Having driven Land cruisers in the past that's what I can draw its comparison with in my mind. Is maneuvering this beast really difficult? Or is it something one can comfortably get used to over time?

Any other points that would be worth considering are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Last edited by sagar12321; 10-13-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Good morning and welcome to the forums: just buy it~
If you are heads for the truck then it'll be great, I have always admired them too,

good luck
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Originally Posted by sagar12321
Hi Guys,

I'm head-on-heals in love with the G-Class and have narrowed on G550 2016 model for purchase. However, before I proceed any further with buying this awe inspiring machine, I was researching on feedback and long term reviews of the car. There are certain observations, in common, which I detail here and require comments from the owners of G-class. As these points are the ones that have caused dilemma for me:-

1) Wind Noise: This is a one of the commons "cons" that I've noted from reviews of various previous years' models. Is the wind noise at highway speed really bad?

2) On-road Handling / Steering feed-back: I can understand how heavy the handling of a car with this kind of weight can be. Having driven Land cruisers in the past that's what I can draw its comparison with in my mind. Is maneuvering this beast really difficult? Or is it something one can comfortably get used to over time?

Any other points that would be worth considering are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!
I have recently purchased a MY 16 G550 after owning many MB models. Most recent a MY15 S Class. I am also an enthusiasts so that I have other makes and models as a basis of comparison. First of all, the G Class is not for everyone. The reason it took me a long time to purchase one is that I could not justify the cost compared to, say, an S Class. But then again, they are two very different vehicles built for two different audiences. Yes, the handling is "numb" on the G. Certainly not comparable to other MB products. On the highway you need to pay attention and make frequent steering inputs. This is a truck with a body on frame configuration and a suspension system that is archaic by any modern comparison. Yes, there is wind noise. The aerodynamics on the G are tantamount to a cement block going down the road. I don't find the wind noise or road noise intrusive. It is definitely much quieter than my wife's previously owned GLA...by a long shot! The handling characteristics are also unique to this vehicle. Mine will never go off-road. Everything I've read or seen indicates that the G excels in the off-road department. I bought mine on a whim because the dealer pricing was enticing and I definitely wanted off the GLA.
I would definitely recommend this vehicle but suggest you test drive it for an hour in varying situations. I don't need to use mine every day..but I do. The best part is that my wife loves this thing. The visibility is terrific and the high seating position is very comfortable for her. So two plusses. A cool ride and the chairwoman of the board loves it.
The fuel mileage is also an issue if you use this as a daily commuter. I get 14 MPG around town. It has a 25.4 gallon fuel tank so that the range is good and you don't find yourself filling up too often. Then again, if you spend 100 grand on an SUV does it really matter? I will tell you this. If you don't like attention don't buy one. Everyone who sees it has a comment. Gas station stops become conversation sessions. And then there is the exhaust sound. Absolutely intoxicating. When you fire this beast up you know it has a serious motor. So don't onlookers. For me it is a throw back to headers, dual exhaust and glass packs of my youth.
The bottom line...if you are not discouraged by an extended test drive...buy it. I love mine and have no regrets.
As an aside...these things seem to hold their value. Just look at asking prices for used units at dealers or on E-Bay. Best of luck in making your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdeacon:
BenDiem (10-31-2016), whtglk (11-03-2016)