G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

OEM Spring Lift Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes G Wagon
OEM Spring Lift Options

I hope to be receiving my 2017 G550 this week. Straight away I'm removing the front bumper guard and have the OEM blanking plates already sprayed to body color. I am also changing the rims for the 2015 split 5 spoke with stock size BFGoodrich AT KO2s. I am also changing the spare for the same tire obviously and removing the polished tire cover and replacing it with an OEM fabric one. I have a couple questions regarding ride heights.

1. When I remove the front bumper guard will this change the ride height of the truck? I guess the real question is, do the G550s that ships in Europe which do not have the front bumper by default ship with a different front spring?

2. For now my plan is not to increase the overall 30.5" tire size by switching to the 18" rims and the AT KO2s. I have owned many overland vehicle types from Discovery, Defender, Jeep, Pinzguaer and I have to admit that although it depends on the type, I usually degraded the performance/handling quite a bit by messing with even modest lifts and larger tires. This time I have told my self to at least try an OEM based solution. I am intrigued by the G350d and it's slightly taller stance from the G550. Has anyone tried putting G350d springs on a G550? Is there a chart I can reference for OEM springs that are safe to use with our trucks?

3. Last question is sourunding effects on the stock shocks from going with a slightly taller spring. My truck has the adaptive suspension option which means I'm sure changing shocks is now more difficult. Although I don't plan on getting a much larger lift, if I do end up matching the lift of say the G350d, will that require a different shock with longer travel?

Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe they all use the same springs, unless you are running a winch set up.

You could just run Poly Spacers for a slight lift. Im pretty sure they work on the adaptive suspension. I have a 63 so I dont have that options. Im lifting mine a couple inches, with springs, small poly spacers, and King Shocks.