G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G63 AMG Questions - Owner Input Sought

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
G63 AMG Questions - Owner Input Sought

Greetings all,

I have a couple of questions concerning the massive weight & height of this vehicle. I have a new '17 on hold/order. Before I give the final O.K., I have the following questions/concerns.

The height of the G ride is just under 77" tall. I measured the entrance height of my garage and it measures approx 81.5 in height. Notwithstanding the one inch gap/lip btw the surface of my driveway & the entrance into my garage/floor, I might have about 3.0" of clearance... How do my measurements compare to all of you G ride owners?

The weight of the vehicle is shy of three (3) tons. That is pretty heavy. Should I be concerned that such a heavy vehicle could eventually sink and/or cause my garage floor to submerge/tilt a bit under the heavy weight?

Real world responses would be appreciated. TIA for your responses.

Best/cheers,

B
Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
The height on the G is certainly a consideration not only as it pertains to your garage but also to public parking facilities. I took mine into Boston last week and parked in a public garage. I checked the height specs in the manual before I left home. The manual gives the height at 6'4". The parking garage I entered had a height warning of 6'7". Not much room to spare. Especially with the occasional electrical conduit and connector boxes running on some of the support beams. I did manage to make it but won't take the G into the city again if I am going to park in a public garage.
I don't think the weight of the vehicle would be an issue with a concrete garage floor slab. Yes, it is heavy but most floors are built with a weight factor that should handle this. If you live in a hot climate and have a asphalt driveway I'd have some concern.
If this is your first G I strongly recommend that you take it for an extensive test drive offering a variety of everyday situations. This is a very unique driving vehicle. It is a truck and drives like one. It is an archaic body on frame construction with numb steering and a rather stiff ride. Also while you have it out for the test drive try fitting it into your garage. This vehicle is not for everyone. Having said that, I have other vehicles but I really enjoy driving the G. It is sturdy, feels safe as a tank and will go through anything. Gas mileage is terrible at 14MPG but I don't suppose those of us who drive these things care about that. The good news is that it has a 25.4 gallon fuel tank. So you get the range but you pay for it. In the cold winters of the Northeast standing at the fuel pump makes you wish the pump would run faster. It takes a while to fill that tank.
And oh yes...I've owned many Porsches and MB vehicles over the years. The G wagon gets more attention and comments than most of the high end exotics ever did. There is something about it that attracts inquiries and comments. Jeep owners drool over it.
So, if your a car person and you want to add something unique to your stable, go for it. Just be sure you do your do diligence.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:35 PM

'17 MB G63 AMG
^^^ pdeacon,

Thank you very much, for your informative response! This kind of info is exactly what I was looking for. Your sage advice is also noteworthy.

I'm a car guy and I have always lusted over a G ride. I've owned four Jeep Wranglers in the past (most recently a '15 Sahara) so I'm definitely familiar with the truck-like ride and high center of gravity/tippy ride. I believe I have finally resigned myself to finally purchasing the crown jewel of the body on frame SUVs/Trucks. My wife is very much attracted to the G as well; I'm blessed to have a wife that likes/appreciates nice cars & SUVs. I suppose we have to scratch this itch, lol...

Half the fun is ordering it how I want it, and then awaiting and finally taking delivery.

On another topic, I have a Feb '17 build month with April '17 delivery. Of note/interest, I have the last '17 MY order from my local dealer (as of Nov '16). Not sure if this is in line with the upcoming refresh of the New G Class (read - re-tool of the factory), as the possible '18 or early '19 MY G Class?

Thanks again & Happy Holidays!

Best/Cheers,

B
Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Had the same experience with my wife when I came home with the G. She loves driving it and really enjoys the high seating position and short hood design that make it easy to judge and maneuver. Now I can't keep her out of it. Sold her GLA and she never looked back.
I think you are right about the phase out of the current model. I suspect the replacement G will come out in '17 as an '18 model. I'm curious to see where they go with the design. I'm sure the technology will improve and probably see the new model built on a derivative of the GL series. Should be interesting. By the time they are in full swing production and work out all the kinks, I'll probably be ready for an upgrade. In the meantime just enjoying the heck out of my '16.
Good luck with your order. Not too many options but definitely go for the adjustable suspension, designo leather and the alcantara head liner. I would also spec the optional 19" AMG wheels. My G is black and I chose the black wheel option. Not so sure I would do that again. I think the black can benefit from a brighter AMG wheel. Just a matter of taste.
The following users liked this post:
BenDiem (11-29-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
It'll fit in all the home garages unless you have a really custom or odd size door. The biggest worry for me like @pdeacon said, it's the damn public parking garages. Most NYC parking does clear it but it's a super close fit. I believe my antenna actually rubbed against one of those overhead beams or conduits. I can't clear PHL airport, if I take the G, I have to do long term parking.

Weight-wise, I don't see it as a problem. It's a heavy truck but the weight is distributed on all four axis. Concrete is definitely no problem. I have part fancy pavers driveway that I avoid to prevent it from sagging overtime.

Overall, pdeacon hit most of the important points. Very different car but I love it. Works for me with my current collection and family size.
BenDiem (12-06-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
haa

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
I have owned 5 Gs and currently have 2 G63s at home driven by my wife and my daughter. 3 inch is perfectly fine clearance and no issues with garage floor either. The tires on the G are relatively wide so the weight is well distributed. Public multi floor parking garages can be a problem every once in a while. Pay attention to the height clearance signs when entering those garages. On the other hand the car is relatively narrow so the width of the parking spot is never a problem
BenDiem (12-07-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2002 G500, 1961 190b, 2001 SL500 Sport
My G500 is a parking problem. It may be a little taller than the G63. I have hit it into a parking garage that claimed ample clearance and there are many that I do not go into. Even if the outside says it's tall enough, there can be pipes in certain places and the places where the ramps start and end can cause the back of the wagen to pop up a little more. Finally, in 2002 there is a small stubby antenna in the center at the front. Mine had gotten deflected a bit too far and the seal broke and it caused a water leak. Check to make sure the overall height includes the little antenna, if the 2017 model still has that.

The wagen definitely doesn't fit in my home garage.
BenDiem (12-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 S550, 2017 C63S, 2019 Raptor
I have a 2017 G63 on order for late march early April. I was going to get it for me but after the test drive my wife broke the news to me that she thought it best if it were hers. It's been a while since she's had an SUV nevermind a truck. However, she was completely smitten after driving it in foul snowy weather and then again on a clear day.

I'll be ditching her low mile GLA45 even I like driving it. I'm just space limited.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM

'17 MB G63 AMG
^^^ Fun read. I did not test drive the G, figuring it will be much more entertaining than all of the Wranglers I've owned...

I'll replace the GTI with a GLA 45, after it goes through its mid cycle refresh. Good to know that you enjoyed the 45! It validates my future purchase of a 45... I'm also stoked to read that you and the misses enjoyed the G test drive. I'm even more stoked now!

I'm garage challenged, otherwise I'd want more, too, lol...

Cheers,

B
Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 S550, 2017 C63S, 2019 Raptor
I think 17 is the mid cycle. i have to be fair to that car it is really fun to drive.