G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
m32

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
996tt
Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question

Hey guys,

Quick intro... Current porsche owner here but started my research on g63s as a possible next purchase. I know they have different variants throughout the years and that the shape hasn't really changed but the interiors have gotten a lot better in the recent years.

I've looked at a lot of the youtube videos and one thing that caught my attention was some owners have said that the G63 pulls (feels "squirmy") when accelerating. Is this really that common? One owners said that this has been rectified in the 2016's so should I only look at 2016 and newer?

Prior to your purchase of the G, were there any other "comparable" suv's you considered? I've had the RRS, which I happily replaced with an X5. I love the X5 and the only other option for me that I am considering is the new x5m.

Thanks for looking and your input is appreciated.

Here are old pics of my RRS, X5m and my current porsche.

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question-13_zps121ac38c.jpg

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question-5192278829_fa96ce9018_b_zpsd78fa7fc.jpg

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question-5d0b45f2-a8d9-45fc-841e-50dae7d812a6_zpsbyvvrhgi.jpg

Edwin
Old 02-20-2017, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by m32
Hey guys,

Quick intro... Current porsche owner here but started my research on g63s as a possible next purchase. I know they have different variants throughout the years and that the shape hasn't really changed but the interiors have gotten a lot better in the recent years.

I've looked at a lot of the youtube videos and one thing that caught my attention was some owners have said that the G63 pulls (feels "squirmy") when accelerating. Is this really that common? One owners said that this has been rectified in the 2016's so should I only look at 2016 and newer?

Prior to your purchase of the G, were there any other "comparable" suv's you considered? I've had the RRS, which I happily replaced with an X5. I love the X5 and the only other option for me that I am considering is the new x5m.

Thanks for looking and your input is appreciated.

Here are old pics of my RRS, X5m and my current porsche.

Edwin
Welcome to the W463 forum - in terms of pulling, I have never noticed any sort of weird behavior while accelerating compared to my other cars - only thing I've noticed is that when I'm going over bumps/potholes in the road, the wheels kind of "bounce" over them and the steering wheel jars a little bit (probably due to how stiff the suspension is), but other than that, the G drives like a very top heavy SUV.

My advice is to pick the G you like and test drive to make sure it has the characteristics you're looking for, but coming from driving an S550 daily to driving my G63 as my daily driver (~2,000 miles/month), I can say it drives like a truck - lots of body roll, incredibly bumpy ride, and heavy steering - but I will say that I always have a smile when driving it.
The following users liked this post:
m32 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Welcome to the forum. I've said this before to others who have inquired about moving to a G. The G is a very unique vehicle by any definition. I would venture to say that it is really not comparable to your RRS or X5 in terms of ride and handling or comfort. So my first suggestion is to take the G on a long test drive experiencing all types of driving situations. I am a Porsche owner/enthusiast and also own an E350 and moved into my G from an S550. I love the G and drive it much more than my other vehicles but recognize that their are many idiosyncrasies with the vehicle. First and foremost, it is a truck. The steering is numb and it rocks and rolls down the highway on anything but smooth table top roads. It does not corner particularly well, certainly not like the RRS or X5. Certainly not in the same universe as your Porsche Turbo. Having said all this, the G is a capable ride especially with the inclement weather I experience here in the Northeast. You will never have to worry if you will be able to make it home, even in blizzard conditions. So try it...for an extended period...before you buy it. Best of luck.
m32 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM
m32

996tt
Originally Posted by pdeacon
Welcome to the forum. I've said this before to others who have inquired about moving to a G. The G is a very unique vehicle by any definition. I would venture to say that it is really not comparable to your RRS or X5 in terms of ride and handling or comfort. So my first suggestion is to take the G on a long test drive experiencing all types of driving situations. I am a Porsche owner/enthusiast and also own an E350 and moved into my G from an S550. I love the G and drive it much more than my other vehicles but recognize that their are many idiosyncrasies with the vehicle. First and foremost, it is a truck. The steering is numb and it rocks and rolls down the highway on anything but smooth table top roads. It does not corner particularly well, certainly not like the RRS or X5. Certainly not in the same universe as your Porsche Turbo. Having said all this, the G is a capable ride especially with the inclement weather I experience here in the Northeast. You will never have to worry if you will be able to make it home, even in blizzard conditions. So try it...for an extended period...before you buy it. Best of luck.
Originally Posted by amaycg
Welcome to the W463 forum - in terms of pulling, I have never noticed any sort of weird behavior while accelerating compared to my other cars - only thing I've noticed is that when I'm going over bumps/potholes in the road, the wheels kind of "bounce" over them and the steering wheel jars a little bit (probably due to how stiff the suspension is), but other than that, the G drives like a very top heavy SUV.

My advice is to pick the G you like and test drive to make sure it has the characteristics you're looking for, but coming from driving an S550 daily to driving my G63 as my daily driver (~2,000 miles/month), I can say it drives like a truck - lots of body roll, incredibly bumpy ride, and heavy steering - but I will say that I always have a smile when driving it.
Thank you gents for your input. I definitely agree I need some seat time in the G before I can make an informed decision. I actually daily a toyota tacoma so I'm very used to the ride quality of a truck. One thing that I love about the G vs x5m is that the G is more of an off-road, "get out of my way" type. If I get an x5m, it'll be on 22's with low pro tires. If I get a G wagon, it'll also be on 22's but it'll hopefully look something like this

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question-mercedes-g63-amg-hre-tr106_31693041673_l_zpsf6vkytze.jpg

Quick question... has the G's been pretty reliable for you all? Would I need to spring for an extended warranty?

Edwin
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM

I don't think you need to worry about reliability. The G is built incredibly strong... a little "crude" in some aspects but built to take a beating and last. I only have 8K miles on mine so I can't really speak from experience. Comparing the reliability to the many other MB that I've owned I'd say we are on solid ground. I never like to own these new cars out of warranty, especially limited production models, because replacement parts and repairs tend to be expensive. Having said that, spending something north of $100K on a vehicle pretty much puts things in perspective when calculating maintenance and repairs.
One other point....the G gets more attention and comments from onlookers than almost any exotic car I have owned. I really can't explain it. It is recognized and referred to by people you wouldn't ordinarily think would have an interest in a truck with a 36 year old design. Maybe that's the attraction. The outward appearance really hasn't changed that much over the years. And then there's the exhaust sound. Sweet music in this day and age of wimpy four cylinder turbo engines. Nothing like a V8!!
By the way....that's a sweet looking 996TT. Like those wheels! Happy motoring.
m32 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM
m32

996tt
Originally Posted by pdeacon
I don't think you need to worry about reliability. The G is built incredibly strong... a little "crude" in some aspects but built to take a beating and last. I only have 8K miles on mine so I can't really speak from experience. Comparing the reliability to the many other MB that I've owned I'd say we are on solid ground. I never like to own these new cars out of warranty, especially limited production models, because replacement parts and repairs tend to be expensive. Having said that, spending something north of $100K on a vehicle pretty much puts things in perspective when calculating maintenance and repairs.
One other point....the G gets more attention and comments from onlookers than almost any exotic car I have owned. I really can't explain it. It is recognized and referred to by people you wouldn't ordinarily think would have an interest in a truck with a 36 year old design. Maybe that's the attraction. The outward appearance really hasn't changed that much over the years. And then there's the exhaust sound. Sweet music in this day and age of wimpy four cylinder turbo engines. Nothing like a V8!!
By the way....that's a sweet looking 996TT. Like those wheels! Happy motoring.
Thanks for your input. I'd imagine the G not just looks like a tank but is built like one also. Appreciate the kind words on the porsche! It's a 997TT actually... this was my 996tt

Questions for G63 owners... quick intro and question-tt1_zpsj0rdjdz5.jpg

Edwin
Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by m32
Thank you gents for your input. I definitely agree I need some seat time in the G before I can make an informed decision. I actually daily a toyota tacoma so I'm very used to the ride quality of a truck. One thing that I love about the G vs x5m is that the G is more of an off-road, "get out of my way" type. If I get an x5m, it'll be on 22's with low pro tires. If I get a G wagon, it'll also be on 22's but it'll hopefully look something like this

Edwin
I'm ecstatic that you'll be looking into our custom lift kit + wheel & tire package if you end up acquiring a G-Wagon. I hope that it works out for you so that I can take care of you

Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM
m32

996tt
David,

Nice work on building that G. I'll shoot you an email to get pricing

Edwin
Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by m32
David,

Nice work on building that G. I'll shoot you an email to get pricing

Edwin
the bike quality is better than any other Benz. It's build like a tank. I've had several other Mbs and BMWs over the years and the G is my fav. As others have mentioned it has some quirks that you don't expect from a new car like the steering is a bit odd and it's top heavy. It took about a month for me to really get comfortable as to what the car is going to do in certain situations.

It sounds amazing and drives amazing on smooth roads. Has lots of power and as others mentioned everyone notices this darn thing. It's crazy. I have a matte black 2016. I waited 7 months for it and it was worth it. I drove a used 15 and new 16 prior to making the decision and there is certainly a difference in suspension so I awaited for the designo magno 16 and it was well worth it.

I got the extended factory warranty because I know I'll have this truck for a while. I have sold 2 others cars I have because I find myself wanting to drive the G all the time, which isn't much it's been 10 months and I just turned 5k.

In short I love it. If you are looking for 911 or even X5m handling you won't be happy. If you want a nice cruiser that feels like a tank with tons of power, looks sick and rips down the road you have a winner
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 PM
m32

996tt
Originally Posted by JJCTHE1
the bike quality is better than any other Benz. It's build like a tank. I've had several other Mbs and BMWs over the years and the G is my fav. As others have mentioned it has some quirks that you don't expect from a new car like the steering is a bit odd and it's top heavy. It took about a month for me to really get comfortable as to what the car is going to do in certain situations.

It sounds amazing and drives amazing on smooth roads. Has lots of power and as others mentioned everyone notices this darn thing. It's crazy. I have a matte black 2016. I waited 7 months for it and it was worth it. I drove a used 15 and new 16 prior to making the decision and there is certainly a difference in suspension so I awaited for the designo magno 16 and it was well worth it.

I got the extended factory warranty because I know I'll have this truck for a while. I have sold 2 others cars I have because I find myself wanting to drive the G all the time, which isn't much it's been 10 months and I just turned 5k.

In short I love it. If you are looking for 911 or even X5m handling you won't be happy. If you want a nice cruiser that feels like a tank with tons of power, looks sick and rips down the road you have a winner
Great way to sum it up... thanks for your input! Btw, feel free to share pics of your G

Edwin
Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by JJCTHE1

Interesting. I have one of my other cars for sale because I am not using it much since acquiring the G. Just love driving this thing. It puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM

2016 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by m32
Great way to sum it up... thanks for your input! Btw, feel free to share pics of your G

Edwin
Yes, and I meant build quality not bike quality. Regarding driving other vehicles, you get so used to being so high up in the G, you also get an excellent field of view because of the windshield and seating position. You are able to see traffic ahead, cops hiding, construction etc. and many other things you are unable to see in a "regular" car.

I actually drove my business partners S63 Coupe yesterday fro the first time since he got it a year ago, and man what a difference! It of course is much snappier, drives smoother and requires little driver input however being so low to the ground, sacrificing a good field of view and just not having the G feel, its so very different and just reconfirms my feelings for the G. I cant see myself driving anything else for some time.

Last edited by JJCTHE1; 03-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.
m32 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 AM

2016 G63 AMG
Adding a pic of my G 2016 Designo Magno Night black w all black Designo Diamond Weave interior