G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g55 vs g550

Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Truth is that when we buy a car, we buy a certain value proposition which comprises three aspects - the 'functional' aspect, the 'image' aspect and the 'relationship' aspect. In functional terms the difference between the g55 and the g550 may not be much to the average buyer but in 'image' terms and 'relationship' terms, to their discerning upper-end market, they are in different worlds. One is an AMG, the other is plain.
Brgds

Last edited by OK55; 01-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 AM

g55 vs g550

In the end I decided to get a 2011 range rover supercharged over the g55. For over 100k it is just a much more practical and comfortable car. It does not have the rock solid feel of the g wagon but I am very happy with it, but only 3,000 miles so far. I miss the G wagon and lust after it every time I see one on the road but my back is much happier with the RR. If I were to get another G in the future I am pretty sure I would get a g550 the g55 is just way too stiff for me. A friend just picked up a white g55 a couple weeks ago and after speaking with him yday I find he is in the same position he just cant deal with the stiff ride and is considering trading it back to the dealer for a g550. I am very surprised that anybody would try and say they find the g55 comfortable but everybody is different I guess.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by nyc123
In the end I decided to get a 2011 range rover supercharged over the g55. For over 100k it is just a much more practical and comfortable car. It does not have the rock solid feel of the g wagon but I am very happy with it, but only 3,000 miles so far. I miss the G wagon and lust after it every time I see one on the road but my back is much happier with the RR. If I were to get another G in the future I am pretty sure I would get a g550 the g55 is just way too stiff for me. A friend just picked up a white g55 a couple weeks ago and after speaking with him yday I find he is in the same position he just cant deal with the stiff ride and is considering
trading it back to the dealer for a g550. I am very surprised that anybody would try and say they find the g55 comfortable but everybody is different I guess.
.....I haven't been here much. Always funny seeing the g55 vs g500 debate. No one would think an e550 is a better car than an e55, even by the most subjective of criteria. Yet in the W463 world, the g55 vs g500 banter is common, as if there was even a question as to which vehicle is superior. Cmon folks, enough with the fake indignation regarding the g55.

Again, the g55 and the g500 share the SAME springs. Yes, yes, they actually do have the same springs. So a lot of tbe claim about g55 vs g500 stiffness is exaggerated. If you think the g55 is stiff, all you need to do is purchase g500 springs and swap them. Total cost is under $1K. They are direct bolt on!!! Claiming you or someone you know wants to trade in their g55 for a g500 because of the stiffness alone, is kind of amusing in a false dilemma sort of way. Kind of like trading in your bedroom lamp because you prefer a 60watt bulb instead of the 75watt bulb it came with.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM

In the end I decided to get a 2011 range rover supercharged over the g55. For over 100k it is just a much more practical and comfortable car. It does not have the rock solid feel of the g wagon but I am very happy with it, but only 3,000 miles so far. I miss the G wagon and lust after it every time I see one on the road but my back is much happier with the RR. If I were to get another G in the future I am pretty sure I would get a g550 the g55 is just way too stiff for me. A friend just picked up a white g55 a couple weeks ago and after speaking with him yday I find he is in the same position he just cant deal with the stiff ride and is considering trading it back to the dealer for a g550. I am very surprised that anybody would try and say they find the g55 comfortable but everybody is different I guess.
RR supercharged. Lovely car, very, but the air suspension is temperamental...
Brgds
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.....I haven't been here much. Always funny seeing the g55 vs g500 debate. No one would think an e550 is a better car than an e55, even by the most subjective of criteria. Yet in the W463 world, the g55 vs g500 banter is common, as if there was even a question as to which vehicle is superior. Cmon folks, enough with the fake indignation regarding the g55.

Again, the g55 and the g500 share the SAME springs. Yes, yes, they actually do have the same springs. So a lot of tbe claim about g55 vs g500 stiffness is exaggerated. If you think the g55 is stiff, all you need to do is purchase g500 springs and swap them. Total cost is under $1K. They are direct bolt on!!! Claiming you or someone you know wants to trade in their g55 for a g500 because of the stiffness alone, is kind of amusing in a false dilemma sort of way. Kind of like trading in your bedroom lamp because you prefer a 60watt bulb instead of the 75watt bulb it came with.

Ted
when I had my G55 several people mentioned swapping the springs but I could not actually find a single person that had this done to theirtruck and could confirm how it changed the ride. might be a solution as you said but I found many people suggesting it, nobody that actually had ever done it
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
when I had my G55 several people mentioned swapping the springs but I could not actually find a single person that had this done to theirtruck and could confirm how it changed the ride. might be a solution as you said but I found many people suggesting it, nobody that actually had ever done it
.....if anyone told you to swap the 'springs,' that person is misinformed

.......both cars share the same springs. Like i said in my post, you swap the shocks. Springs and shocks are two totally different components of a cars suspension.

........yes, I have actually, actually actually done this. Not a big deal and no different from replacing shocks in a toyota corolla.

.........there is so much misinformation, and folklore regarding the g55 vs g500. Some even think that the g55 is lowwered etc. It gets really funny

ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-03-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM

.......both cars share the same springs. Like i said in my post, you swap the shocks. Springs and shocks are two totally different components of a cars suspension.

........yes, I have actually, actually actually done this. Not a big deal and no different from replacing shocks in a toyota corolla.

.........there is so much misinformation, and folklore regarding the g55 vs g500. Some even think that the g55 is lowwered etc. It gets really funny

ted
my bad, I meant to say shocks not springs. so after you put g500 or g550 shocks on your g55 what was the result ?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
my bad, I meant to say shocks not springs. so after you put g500 or g550 shocks on your g55 what was the result ?
.....after swapping the shocks, the G55 rode just like a G500. I didn't really like the softer ride when cornering at relatively high speed. But for those who prefer it, it is an easy modification. On my next G55, I decided not to change the shocks.

.....for those who want to do it, simply pick a g500/g550 of the same year on eBay. Copy the vin and use the vin to order the shocks from the dealer and make the swap. The dealer or any reputable mechanic can do it.

Ted
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM

thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 AM

07 LR LR3 modified, 08 Audi S4 Avant 6spd, 08 535xiT6spd
This thread brings to mind a funny saying "more money than brains".

People who sell/trade a nearly new $120k vehicle because they think the springs are different on the other one simply amaze me.

When you like everything else and one little thing is so easy to change, isn't the solution obvious? I heard of a guy trading his 2009 G55 in after about 3000 miles....because he "realized" it didn't have a factory installed tow hitch. If it mattered enough to sell, then wouldn't it matter enough to look under the vehicle to see one, just out of standard procedure?

More importantly, any top quality hitch shop could have done the required welding and full install for around $1000. (I know, I had one custom modified for the 08 Audi S4 Wagon we bought new)

I do think I've read in MB literature that the G55k is in fact set a little lower, however this would not change the specified ground clearance seeing as that is solely based on it's lowest points, under the differential.

I swear, I bet there's a thread on this forum where someone traded in their new G because the tires weren't the right kind

-

The RR SC is completely different. Functionally there are pros and cons vs the G. It all depends on priorities. (yes, there are some aspects the RR has over the G!)

It's nice though, and fun having a better suspension than the hse models. I had a new 07 RRSC, white/ivory and it was fine but ended up needing more true utility so went with a new 07 lr3 after a while. The lr3 spatial utility is great but I'll be replacing it with a G at some point sooner than later.

For long trips though, in terms of comfort and sporting handing, I like wagons over any suv/truck like the 08 535 bmw I just bought with a 6 spd. We considered the E55 wagons a while ago but decided AWD and manual transmission were important. I'd like to try one next time though and maybe reserve the 6 spd for a smaller car.

Last edited by jwestpro; 01-07-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jwestpro

People who sell/trade a nearly new $120k vehicle because they think the springs are different on the other one simply amaze me.

When you like everything else and one little thing is so easy to change, isn't the solution obvious? I heard of a guy trading his 2009 G55 in after about 3000 miles....because he "realized" it didn't have a factory installed tow hitch. If it mattered enough to sell, then wouldn't it matter enough to look under the vehicle to see one, just out of standard procedure?

More importantly, any top quality hitch shop could have done the required welding and full install for around $1000. (I know, I had one custom modified for the 08 Audi S4 Wagon we bought new)

I do think I've read in MB literature that the G55k is in fact set a little lower, however this would not change the specified ground clearance seeing as that is solely based on it's lowest points, under the differential.

I swear, I bet there's a thread on this forum where someone traded in their new G because the tires weren't the right kind

-

The RR SC is completely different. Functionally there are pros and cons vs the G. It all depends on priorities. (yes, there are some aspects the RR has over the G!)

It's nice though, and fun having a better suspension than the hse models. I had a new 07 RRSC, white/ivory and it was fine but ended up needing more true utility so went with a new 07 lr3 after a while. The lr3 spatial utility is great but I'll be replacing it with a G at some point sooner than later.

For long trips though, in terms of comfort and sporting handing, I like wagons over any suv/truck like the 08 535 bmw I just bought with a 6 spd. We considered the E55 wagons a while ago but decided AWD and manual transmission were important. I'd like to try one next time though and maybe reserve the 6 spd for a smaller car.

I also am a fan of wagons as well had an E63 wagon for a bit, great car. Easger to see the new model here in the states
Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by jwestpro

-

Because most people that can afford to drop 120k dont care enough about their money.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 AM

G55 - R500

Couldn't help myself copying you...well you...are a ...legend!

ted
swap springs? G55 springs are shorter for sure...and are NOT the same as in a G550...

Yes you got it right - shocks and springs for SURE are two different types of components

...it's funny that you are making the claim that they are NOT SHORTER..the G55 springs are for SURE shorter in the front after checking with both a G550 and a Toyota Corolla... and yes I have done this ACTUALLY ...or I actually withnessed this myself..well ...maybe not done it myself.....but at least ...witnessed it..and witt nessed it on my buds g550 again!

your post for sure gets really funny,posting such misinformation about the G55 vs g550

Last edited by 07g55; 01-30-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by 07g55
swap springs? G55 springs are shorter for sure...and are NOT the same as in a G550...

Yes you got it right - shocks and springs for SURE are two different types of components

...it's funny that you are making the claim that they are NOT SHORTER..the G55 springs are for SURE shorter in the front after checking with both a G550 and a Toyota Corolla... and yes I have done this ACTUALLY ...or I actually withnessed this myself..well ...maybe not done it myself.....but at least ...witnessed it..and witt nessed it on my buds g550 again!

your post for sure gets really funny,posting such misinformation about the G55 vs g550

......I saw your other post and responded to it, before I saw this one. I think I get it. So I won't take the bait of getting dragged into a person to person forum cat fight. It is clear you don't know what u are talking about.

.....just so that folks don't get confused, below is a link.

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...d=8670&posts=2

......beginning in 2005, MB changed the springs on the G55, said springs that it shared with G500, to make the 05 and newer G55's less stiff and closer in ride stiffness with the G500/G550 and may account for whatever difference from a G55 you claim you saw in your friends G550. This is why 05 and newer G55's are less stiff than 03 and 04 G55's. This means that a G55 owner that needs an even softer ride now has zero reason to change their springs. All that needs to be changed are the shocks.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 01-30-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM

G55 - R500
......I saw your other post and responded to it, before I saw this one. I think I get it. So I won't take the bait of getting dragged into a person to person forum cat fight. It is clear you don't know what u are talking about.

.....just so that folks don't get confused, below is a link.

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...d=8670&posts=2

......beginning in 2005, MB changed the springs on the G55, said springs that it shared with G500, to make the 05 and newer G55's less stiff and closer in ride stiffness with the G500/G550 and may account for whatever difference from a G55 you claim you saw in your friends G550. This is why 05 and newer G55's are less stiff than 03 and 04 G55's. This means that a G55 owner that needs an even softer ride now has zero reason to change their springs. All that needs to be changed are the shocks.

Ted
Both the shocks and springs are different in the G55 and G550. Don't know much about the 03/04 G55s other than they were supposed to be stiff as hell, but I am certain that the front springs in a 05+ G55 are slightly shorter than those of a G550. Don't know what your link to P3 is supposed to prove. from what I understand the G55K springs are a short version of the MB Red springs.

But I can see how confusing it can become with different model years of the G55s, as over the years many things have changed. Maybe your statement is true for a 2003 G55, but not for a 2005 G55. Never know - maybe you might be right again for a 2011 G55....

I apologize that I responded to your post in the same manner of your post, must have been the red wine...

Last edited by 07g55; 01-30-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 AM

2011 G55
Oh boy ... guys, don't make life complicated with shocks, springs, bolts and bananas. Who cares, G55 or G500/550, it's a G-class. You want soft, get a Lexus RX.

ps: i did learn here that the 55 and 500/550 are the same height, so thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 AM

G55 - R500
most of the questions in respect to G55 off-road have been explained a bit better in this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=52109

Post about the different springs on a G55;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...3&postcount=16

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class...earsprings.gif

Last edited by 07g55; 01-31-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Originally Posted by 07g55
most of the questions in respect to G55 off-road have been explained a bit better in this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=52109

Post about the different springs on a G55;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...3&postcount=16

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class...earsprings.gif
I only read the first link, but maybe you should proof read them before supplying them as evidence to back your point. At the top of the first one, someone says the 05 G55 comes with 17 inch brakes and you can tell this as there is only half an inch gap between rotor and wheel. Knowing the truck has 18s and without looking further stats, it's clear the discs aren't bigger than 14-14.9 inch or the truck would be riding with them as tires. This kind of nonsense makes the rest of that thread worthless.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM

G55 - R500
Originally Posted by Nstar
I only read the first link, but maybe you should proof read them before supplying them as evidence to back your point. At the top of the first one, someone says the 05 G55 comes with 17 inch brakes and you can tell this as there is only half an inch gap between rotor and wheel. Knowing the truck has 18s and without looking further stats, it's clear the discs aren't bigger than 14-14.9 inch or the truck would be riding with them as tires. This kind of nonsense makes the rest of that thread worthless.
the "someone" that made the statement about the 17" brakes was Harald Pietschman, probably one of the most knowledgable guys in the off-road world in respect to G-Wagens.

He's the guy hired by Mercedes to drive the G55 in this video - fun to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL5cbeLiCB4

http://www.4x4abc.com/MBUSA/bio.html

Anyone interested learning to do serious off-roading should consider a trip with with him.

Hers are some interesting fact on his site about the G:

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/

Not understanding that overall diameter of the G55 brake is about 17" when the calibers are on top of the rotor, makes your post nonsensical and worthless. If you can't read inbetween the lines when someone uses a bad explanation /language , it's your loss.

EDIT Sorry - post about Brakes were done by autonovice...and not Harald.

Last edited by 07g55; 01-31-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 PM

2011 g55
New to this forum:

Just switched from a 2009 G550 Blk/blk to a 2011 G55 AMG blk/blk

Hands down I am completely obsessed with the G55. I live in Boston and we have had one hell of a winter. I just broke in the G55 with 75 percent highway miles, different road conditions, pavement etc and am just amazed.

Without even getting into the driving ability of the G55 I think a lot is missed by the interior. My father drives a Range Rover supercharged which has always had a superior interior compared to my 2009 g550. Now there is at least something to compare! From the Alacantra lining to the designo seats and extra attention to detail / stitching, the G55 just feels better inside. I find it much more comfortable (maybe this is just from the year changes). I always thought that my g550 was cheap in terms of a MERC interior for the pricing (both bought new). I used to have a CLS550 and was disappointed for the money when moving into the 2009 G550.

However, and this is a big however, I am obsessed with the G55. It is the G550 but better in every aspect. Is it worth the extra money? Simply said YES. Living in the northeast, the G55 is the only sane way to buy an insane SUV. In my mind you cannot even compare the G55 with other SUV's like Range Rovers etc. The G is in a class of its own.

The suspension is so much stiffer than the g550 but to be honest on longer trips I find it to be more comfortable. Sure you feel the bumps but for the most part the car feels more gripped to the road than the g550. It is just more exciting driving the G55 all around.

When you spend the money for a G550 you expect things like the alacantra lining. It is the small things that make the big differences. This engine is just all around amazing as compared to the g550. Don't get me wrong, I drove the G550 for about 1.5 years and don't have many complaints. However, you dont get the excitement factor that you do out of the G55.

You just get the feeling that the G55 was paid attention to while the G550 is off the assembly line. I know that there are few differences but its not about ego or anything. I get in the car, most people dont even know that I got a new car aside from the louder exhaust and i could care less. The only thing I would ask for is a thicker more distinctive AMG steering wheel from the G550.

G55 100% - In this car I actually feel on a daily basis that I am getting much more than I paid for while with the G550 I had a great vehicle but just didn't provide the extra OOOOOMPH that the engine brings along with it.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:19 PM

G55 - R500
Originally Posted by hovyamg
ps: i did learn here that the 55 and 500/550 are the same height, so thanks

regardless if you believe that the shocks are the only thing different, or both shocks and springs... or just the lower profile tires on the G55.. one thing you should have been able to learn from this thread that the ride height is not the same...

Originally Posted by gavindurni
New to this forum:

Just switched from a 2009 G550 Blk/blk to a 2011 G55 AMG blk/blk

Hands down I am completely obsessed with the G55. I live in Boston and we have had one hell of a winter. I just broke in the G55 with 75 percent highway miles, different road conditions, pavement etc and am just amazed.

Without even getting into the driving ability of the G55 I think a lot is missed by the interior. My father drives a Range Rover supercharged which has always had a superior interior compared to my 2009 g550. Now there is at least something to compare! From the Alacantra lining to the designo seats and extra attention to detail / stitching, the G55 just feels better inside. I find it much more comfortable (maybe this is just from the year changes). I always thought that my g550 was cheap in terms of a MERC interior for the pricing (both bought new). I used to have a CLS550 and was disappointed for the money when moving into the 2009 G550.

However, and this is a big however, I am obsessed with the G55. It is the G550 but better in every aspect. Is it worth the extra money? Simply said YES. Living in the northeast, the G55 is the only sane way to buy an insane SUV. In my mind you cannot even compare the G55 with other SUV's like Range Rovers etc. The G is in a class of its own.

The suspension is so much stiffer than the g550 but to be honest on longer trips I find it to be more comfortable. Sure you feel the bumps but for the most part the car feels more gripped to the road than the g550. It is just more exciting driving the G55 all around.

When you spend the money for a G550 you expect things like the alacantra lining. It is the small things that make the big differences. This engine is just all around amazing as compared to the g550. Don't get me wrong, I drove the G550 for about 1.5 years and don't have many complaints. However, you dont get the excitement factor that you do out of the G55.

You just get the feeling that the G55 was paid attention to while the G550 is off the assembly line. I know that there are few differences but its not about ego or anything. I get in the car, most people dont even know that I got a new car aside from the louder exhaust and i could care less. The only thing I would ask for is a thicker more distinctive AMG steering wheel from the G550.

G55 100% - In this car I actually feel on a daily basis that I am getting much more than I paid for while with the G550 I had a great vehicle but just didn't provide the extra OOOOOMPH that the engine brings along with it.

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you love your new ride!!!

RE g55 vs g550 compressed - from what has been discussed

Besides engine:

Different shocks
???Different springs??? (g500 yellow strip springs stock US - places like Germany you chose between different springs) when ordering...
G55 - Transmission cooler located in different position (less than optimal position)
G55 - Heavier steering shocks
G55 - bigger brakes
G55 - longer gear ratio
G55 - slightly different interior
G55 - wider flares
G55 - stronger torsion / sway bar
G55 - different exhaust tips ( less clearance)
G55 - 5 speed gearbox ( stronger) vs 7speed gearbox
G55 - different ESP settings

Last edited by 07g55; 01-31-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM

I had a chance to drive the g55 and g550 back to back today about a 15 minute road test on each. Came back with the same impression I had after I last drove a 550 much more comfortable car to live with on real road driving and still get the overall solid build quality of the G class.....For me personally it is the better choice...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Different strokes for different folks. Some like the 'plain jane', some prefer the supermodel. Obviously the 'plain jane' would cost less to maintain and be easier to live with...!
Brgds
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM

in the end despite what I said I decided to get the g55, well because like some people have said it is a g55. Order goes in Monday just debating silver blk or designio graphite over blk...Probably going to stick with silver will decide this weekend.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 PM

in the end despite what I said I decided to get the g55, well because like some people have said it is a g55. Order goes in Monday just debating silver blk or designio graphite over blk...Probably going to stick with silver will decide this weekend.
although the designio grey is pretty sharp ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...t_20573wt_1167

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g55 vs g550