G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 G55 , should I buy extended warranty.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 G55 , should I buy extended warranty.

I am looking at a 2005 G55 locally that I am interested in. The truck is a custom horizon blue paint and has about 25000 miles. I could purchase the extended 2 years full warranty for 6500. Is the warranty worth buying?

If I take the chance of skipping the warranty, what is a worse case scenario if something goes wrong in the next 2 years?

Here is a picture it, the dealer is asking 73k for it plus 6500 for warranty if i want. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 G55 , should I buy extended warranty.-g55-1.jpg   2005 G55 , should I buy extended warranty.-g55-2.jpg   2005 G55 , should I buy extended warranty.-g55-3.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
That is way, way, way, way too much for a 2005 with 25K miles. You MUST get a warranty with these trucks if buying a few years old. They are bullet proof without a doubt, but I bought mine with a cpo warranty and it has been invaluable. A "small" fix at an MB dealer could be big $$$. For instance, some of the 55K engines from 2005 had a belt pulley installed backwards. Four trips to the dealer later (I found the solution in a forum) and it was finally fixed under CPO. If I didn't have that, I'd be out several thousand K.

There are plenty of perfect '05 out there for around $60K. I myself am selling mine (likely already have buyer lined up) here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-vehicles/362097-2005-mercedes-benz-amg-g55-grand-edition.html

good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55 - R500
Originally Posted by kcphuah
I am looking at a 2005 G55 locally that I am interested in. The truck is a custom horizon blue paint and has about 25000 miles. I could purchase the extended 2 years full warranty for 6500. Is the warranty worth buying?

If I take the chance of skipping the warranty, what is a worse case scenario if something goes wrong in the next 2 years?

Here is a picture it, the dealer is asking 73k for it plus 6500 for warranty if i want. Thanks.
warranty might be worth it depending on how hard you are driving the truck. I'd say go for 3 year at least, will help keep the resale value of your car up tremendously.

I am in the same boat atm, trying to decide whether extending the factury warranty on my 07 which expires next spring to 100k/3year with MB warranty.

If you baby the truck you might be fine without warranty, but if you go off road etc. it might be a very wise investment.

You might also consider looking for a newer truck still under factory warranty for just a bit more. 07s can be found for 70k, still with some warranty left.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by 07g55
warranty might be worth it depending on how hard you are driving the truck.
If you baby the truck you might be fine without warranty, but if you go off road etc. it might be a very wise investment.
Not understanding your comments. Do you really think by driving a G-Class 'hard' and or going off-road will increase the probability of mechanical or electrical failure? The G is a cross-country vehicle which initially was developed for the German army for military use. These vehicles are intended to sustain a lot more then hard use and traveling off-road. The factory is still hand building the civilian vehicles with the same high standard as their military contract vehicles. Obviously whether used in military or as a grocery getter, servicing and part failure is inevitable. With the initial cost of these vehicles along with proper maintenance a warranty always makes sense unless that is you have a crystal ball.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

2011 G55
^ spot on
Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 AM

G55 - R500
Originally Posted by AGR
Not understanding your comments. Do you really think by driving a G-Class 'hard' and or going off-road will increase the probability of mechanical or electrical failure? The G is a cross-country vehicle which initially was developed for the German army for military use. These vehicles are intended to sustain a lot more then hard use and traveling off-road. The factory is still hand building the civilian vehicles with the same high standard as their military contract vehicles. Obviously whether used in military or as a grocery getter, servicing and part failure is inevitable. With the initial cost of these vehicles along with proper maintenance a warranty always makes sense unless that is you have a crystal ball.

Sorry for being so unclear.

Yes, I do think driving a G55K hard or driving off road is FOR SURE going to increase the probability of a mechanical failure. I guess I must be wrong somehow.

Thanks for giving me some insight on the history of the G. I can remember very well when I first noticed the first Gs, when growing up as a little boy in Germany. During these days the G-Wagen to us was only known as either a military, police or rescue vehicle of some sorts. Took a little while for us to accept it as a civilian vehicle.
The first time I was able to apretiate the G as a civilian vehicle was when I was 18, fresh drivers license and freshly stuck in the mud with my then Izuzu Trooper. The fact that my dad's GE 280 Cabrio always managed to pull me out of the mud, started my repsect and love for the G...that was 20 years ago.

Sure it always makes sense to have a warranty, just as much as it always makes more sense to wear a seat-belt than not.

If it is worth to spend an extra $6.5k for a extended 2 year warranty? It is probably something that can be avoided if you are going to put only 10k miles on it and take proper care and only take it to grocery shopping. Irrc the vehicle only has 25k miles so far. As you mentioned yourself - the G is built like a miltitary vehicle...so if not abused it should last for a long time...My hasn't had any mayor repairs needed after 38k miles. Sure lots of little things which I mostly blame for offroading, but nothing that would have warranted the warranty.

But like you said; always a gamble. And the insurance companies are trying to make a living out of this gamble - right?

Supercharged engines for sure wear out a bit quicker when driven hard - no?
Using a tons of torque when off-roading with lockers in use thanks to the 55k certainly will also play a role on the longevity on the truck...

Sorry for having been so careless with my thoughts

Last edited by 07g55; 08-21-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
If you're a knowledgeable buyer and know how to negotiate with dealers you won't pay anywhere near 6500 for a CPO or any two year warranty.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by kcphuah

$73K !!!!!!

I paid $52 last year for a 2005 G55K CPO.....
Additional one year warranty is no charge on any Merc CPO vehicle..
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 PM

2006 G55
Hello All,

Please let me know a good and reasonably priced company for an extended warranty on my 2006 G55, with 70K miles. I drive it about 5K miles/yr and never rough driving... Thank you.