G63 color combinations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55
G63 color combinations

Hello all,

New to the forum, and wanted to get opinions on color options for the G63.

This will be my 3rd G. Previous vehicles were black. I'm going with black wheels this time and wanted to get some input on exterior color.

I live in the US in an area with harsh winters so I will not opt for a matte finish as I'm told it won't hold up well. Otherwise I would have ordered the magno platinum. Instead, I've ordered designo graphite with black wheels and red calipers.

Would like to hear some feedback on this combination as well as some pics if somebody out there has them

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
The magno paint finishes are MORE durable than the glossy paints. I'm on my second magno g-wagen. Only magno night (black) can be hard to keep looking clean...magno platinum is super durable as long as you don't buff/polish it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM

G55
Thanks Jimmy, I am told that debris from trees as well as bird droppings and the like can leave permanent outlines on the finish. Until now, I have just been taking their word for it.

Will this be an issue with magno platinum to your knowledge?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
People say a lot of things to try and sound smart, but Mercedes is well known for working with innovative paint technologies to improve both the appearance and durability of their vehicles. The magno paints are no exception. There is still a very tough clear coat applied to the paint, and the paint is the same composition as their regular paints...they just use a matte finish rather than glossy.

I guess someone could say that because it's not as smooth it is slightly more difficult to clean, but at the same time it's much better at hiding scratches and swirl marks. Honestly, scratches, swirl marks, and stone chips have been a much bigger concern for me than other potential paint damage...and that's where the magno paints really "shine".

We don't have issues of tree sap in Dubai, but my last G-wagen was a favorite target for seagulls and pigeons but it looked immaculate the day I sold it after 2.5 years of surviving the harsh desert climate of Dubai and multiple bird attacks. :-)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 AM

BMW X6M
Originally Posted by jimmyg
The magno paint finishes are MORE durable than the glossy paints. I'm on my second magno g-wagen. Only magno night (black) can be hard to keep looking clean...magno platinum is super durable as long as you don't buff/polish it.
Hi, since you own a magno paint finish, i'd like to ask you if you can give me any more details about the magno night black. I'm thinking of getting a g63, however, still not too sure of the color, i do not want to be hasty though.

My 2nd choice would be the navy blue (tanzinite blue), However, i am in love with the magno black, but i heard it is very hard to maintain. Since i live in dubai and it very dusty, would it be a suitable choice? i also heard that bird tend to ruin the paint finish. i would appreciate it if you would revert back with some details, since you already live in dubai.

thank you
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
I've not owned a car with magno night black, but my friend has a G63 in that color. I'll ask him and check. My magno platinum G63 is super easy to maintain, just like my last G55 that had magno alanite grey.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 AM

BMW X6M
I've not owned a car with magno night black, but my friend has a G63 in that color. I'll ask him and check. My magno platinum G63 is super easy to maintain, just like my last G55 that had magno alanite grey.
hey jimmyg, any news?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
sorry...he says he has had no problems and the car still looks like new after 8 months of ownership...he has his car washed twice a week. key is to avoid any sort of polish or wax like the liquid ones some automatic car washes spray. hand wash with mild soap and water.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 AM

BMW X6M
sorry...he says he has had no problems and the car still looks like new after 8 months of ownership...he has his car washed twice a week. key is to avoid any sort of polish or wax like the liquid ones some automatic car washes spray. hand wash with mild soap and water.

Thanks for the reply. What does wax/polish do to it exactly? does it ruin the finish?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Yes, it ruins it. If you polish or wax, the paint will obviously not be matte anymore. It will become smooth and glossy. This is also clearly stated in the owners manual.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM

BMW X6M
Yes, it ruins it. If you polish or wax, the paint will obviously not be matte anymore. It will become smooth and glossy. This is also clearly stated in the owners manual.
thanks for your replies Jimmy.
My g63 has finally arrived at the showrrom and can't wait to drive it
Went for Obsidian black and designo exclusive package black/brown with carbon fiber.
i'm thinking of fixing wheel spacers but am confused on the sizes.
what about 30mm front and 35mm at the back? any recomendations.

much appreciated my dear.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
You should use the same size spacers on all four wheels...this is a tall/heavy SUV and you don't want to risk making it unstable. I use H&R TRAK+ 30mm wheel spacers on my G63 and previously on my G55 and have been quite happy with how they look without compromising the ride or reliability of the car.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
Great choice for body color in spite of added cost. I have Graphite paint and interior is Mystic Red that I absolutely love. I went for the black wheels w/ red calipers and must say if I had it to do over I would NOT have gotten the black wheels. When they get dirty from brake dust, which is quickly after a wash, I think they actually look worse than the standard polished wheels!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I just ordered mine in obsidian black with exclusive leather package in black/red(I can still change it untill it goes for production). I took the regular silver wheels as a brand new set of adv wheels in mate black is already in production for my truck. I live in NY wanted to get the mango black but a friend of mine has a Porsche in similar mate black color and he told me it's hard to keep it looking new and easy to scratch(but than maybe he didn't want me having a mate black truck lol). I also can have the truck warped for a year or two in mate vinyl and than go back to shiny paint
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 AM

BMW X6M
You should use the same size spacers on all four wheels...this is a tall/heavy SUV and you don't want to risk making it unstable. I use H&R TRAK+ 30mm wheel spacers on my G63 and previously on my G55 and have been quite happy with how they look without compromising the ride or reliability of the car.
thank you friend, it's good to know i have someone i can depend on for G related topics.

thanks again!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 AM

BMW X6M
Originally Posted by hubert
I just ordered mine in obsidian black with exclusive leather package in black/red(I can still change it untill it goes for production). I took the regular silver wheels as a brand new set of adv wheels in mate black is already in production for my truck. I live in NY wanted to get the mango black but a friend of mine has a Porsche in similar mate black color and he told me it's hard to keep it looking new and easy to scratch(but than maybe he didn't want me having a mate black truck lol). I also can have the truck warped for a year or two in mate vinyl and than go back to shiny paint
beautiful combo, why dont you consider designo exclusive package black/porcelain? this was my original order, absolutely beautiful. i had to settle for black/light brown, but i dont mind either way. i have already waited 6 months, cant wait for more!