Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issues - help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Alignment issues - help

So I had an odd experience this week re: my first service with my G63. I took the truck in to get the diff service and they had a pothole alignment deal for $100 so I had them straighten up the track. When I bought the truck in January, it had 56 miles on it and I did notice on the drive home a slight pull to the right and the steering wheel wasn't perfectly centered (which drove me crazy), but I didn't feel like turning around (I live 2.5 hrs away) and just decided to drive it and get it aligned later as I knew I'd be dealing with potholes for the next few months. I never hit a pothole and slowed significantly over any rough roads, so, at least in my possession, it's never had a big hit on the suspension to cause any damage. The dealer calls me late in the day and says they can't get the alignment within tolerance, so they want to hold it until the next day to let the service foreman who has better G experience look at it, but the initial concern is something must be bent. WTF!!! Next day, he calls and says the G's done, but it's still not perfect, very close, but not perfect. He said the underpinnings of the car shows no sign of damage and there is nothing visibly bent or broken, so the only way to get things perfect would be to start replacing parts until it's perfect. I was not happy and was kicking myself that I didn't address the alignment at the time of purchase. So, I was asking my service guy all about the alignment to get as much info as possible to take back to the dealer from which I bought the truck. He was struggling to explain things, and finally admitted that he wasn't exactly sure if he was explaining it correctly and said he'll go get a lesson from the foreman. Five minutes later, he comes back with a little relief on his face and says everything is fine - the foreman said the alignment is as good as it can get for a G - the not perfect comments he was getting from the foreman was that the G is just not a great driving truck and it's never going to track and drive like a S class or even a GL. However, the alignment sheet shows things are still out of tolerance - see attached. He said that due to the G's archaic suspension and drivetrain, those alignment specs are not applicable. I asked him why they were on the sheet if they weren't applicable. He agreed and we agreed that I would drive it home and report back any problems or concerns. The drive home was fine, much better tracking and no pulling. But, I'm still hoping someone with some knowledge can check out the alignment sheet and tell me what you think - thanks in advance for your input. Sorry that I'm too stupid to figure out how to rotate the pic.

Alignment issues - help-img_2538-1-.jpg