G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G63 steering wheel question / need ordering help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
G63 steering wheel question / need ordering help!

Hi guys,

Longtime member of the site and Mercedes owner, but this will be my first G purchase.
I have decided on a G63 and will be ordering my car shortly. I've got everything sorted out (I think...) except for the steering wheel. I did ran a search, but couldn't find the answer. Forgive me if this has already been covered.

On the AMG "build your own" section of MBUSA website, the photo of the stock steering wheel shows a great sculpted AMG steering wheel with shift paddles as the stock wheel.
Upgrading to piano black or wood trim wheel eliminates the paddle shifters (in the photos anyway)...same with the heated steering wheel option...(the paddle shifters disappear when this option is selected).

In real life, all of the cars on dealer lots have either the piano/wood wheel or the heated steering wheel. I can't find any that have the base steering wheel with paddle shifters.
The dealer I'm working with says that I "must" order either the wood/piano OR the heated steering wheel...and that the base steering wheel isn't available. Huh?

I'd rather have the base steering wheel WITH paddle shifters, than either of the optional choices. The options that I am planning to order are: Black wheels, Exclusive 2-tone interior, and Designo paint - currently debating between the Graphite and Magno Matte Grey).

Can anyone help me with this dumb question ? Also, if there is no way to get shift paddles, which of the optional steering wheels is the enthusiast choice? Or is it a coin toss?

Thanks in advance -

Last edited by WhiteTrash; 07-27-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Paddle shifters come on all steering wheels on thr G63 so Go ahead and order whichever one you like I took the heated steering wheel on mine but will be changing it to a carbon one from macarbon(already ordered) since rest of the trim in my truck is carbon.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
Hubert: Thank you very much for the solid info. I can now sleep at night.
It's such a meaningless feature in the grand scheme of things, but for some reason I must have them!
The base wheel looks as if it has some sculpting on the upper half of the inner rim, and possibly a flat(ish) bottom.

Has anyone driven a G with the base steering wheel? I'm really leaning toward it but if I'm missing something obvious, I'd love to hear opinions or experiences.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm questioning why I'm leaning so strongly toward the steering wheel option that a). no one else wants and b). no dealer in LA has... Lol