Early Warning for Power Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55 AMG
Early Warning for Power Steering Issue?

Hey All,

Just noticed today, when manoeuvring at slow speed and full lock (reversing into car park space) the steering feel goes all strange. It returns back to normal as soon as I am off full lock but I am just wondering if this is some sort of early warning for a power steering failure.

No mods done so there is no reason for the tyres to be catching on the inside of the wheel arch or anything like that.

Car has only done 25,000km's so the pump should not be giving out just yet for sure.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar or able to provide any interpretations/advice?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
My 2010 G55 was having an odd issue where there was an odd "ping/knock" sound when turning my steering wheel at low speeds. Found a thread on another forum about it and brought it into my service manager. They looked at it and said that the steering column was lose and not tightened to spec. gave me a sort of look like, "you're lucky this didn't happen on the road". So, I'd have it looked at by dealer as you should still be under warranty.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55 AMG
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't sound quite the same symptoms as I'm experiencing but is certainly interesting and definitely worth the garage taking a look when the car is in there next.

Much appreciated as always.