G55 illuminated AMG door sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55
G55 illuminated AMG door sills

question about the illuminated amg door sills that come stock with car. do only the front two door sills light up? or do all 4? i just recently acquired the car and i'm pretty sure that all 4 lit up, but lately the back two door sills in the rear doors have not been lighting up. i went to the dealership to ask them about it and they said that as far as they knew, only the front two lit up, not the back two. but, i feel like that is wrong. i am almost 100% positive that all 4 are supposed to light up, so if anyone knows, please help me out. thanks so much.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
............It is really becoming alarming how very little Mb dealers know about the cars they sell. And as these cars become more complex, the problem is expected to continue. I mean that this is really a problem because you MB owners have to take antacids and anti-hypertensive meds before visiting a dealer.

..............Yes, all 4 sills do light up. Mine had the same problem. The rear ones will light up only episodically. I discovered that just like the dome lights, the rear ones only light up at night or in the garage. I do not know if this is going to be consistent. But it seems to make sense for now because if the sills are wired to the dome lights, then they will come on only when ambient light is low. Why the front ones are wired differently, I do not know. Try placing your headlight switch on auto and opening your doors in the garage and see.

.............The problem I have with mine currently is that all three sills light up except the driver side. I discovered this today. But this is different from the problem I had before......which is the rear ones not lighting up. My steering wheel heater also does not work. I thought about it, but saw no point in goiung to the dealer. They will just look at you with a blank stare.

Ted
Old 12-25-2003, 11:15 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
The dealer isn't completely crazy. On my 2004 G55, all four light up in the manner described by Ted...but my US 2002 G500 only had the front ones light up ever. The dealer might not be familiar with the latest changes made in the G55 so don't blame them too quickly.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...............The G55 has been available in the USA since 2002 as a 2003 model. It is not as "new" as one might think. Besides, just a simple investigation by the dealer of the customer's complaint will answer the question. Omn a similar note, the parts representative at Atlanta Classic cars says.......the shocks between the G500 and G55 are completely different. That these cannot be swapped. That the anchor points are different. Of course this is not true. Many have swapped their shocks. It maybe different where you are, but around here going to the dealer is really not very useful.

Ted
Old 12-26-2003, 10:29 PM

Ted, your drivers side sill does not light up because the tiny microswitch broke in the door latch. It is not replaceable seperately. You need a new latch assembly.
Stupid design, cheaply made! I have replaced 5 latches already for the same problem.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 G55 AMG
Fixing your illuminated door sills and dome lamp issues is an EASY repair! As usual, the most difficult part is determining what's actually malfunctioning. The interior lighting in a G is more complicated than you might realize, so let me step you through it ('02-'08 at least):

1) You need to realize that the dome light (front) and rear dome lights only illuminate with the door open if it's dark outside and the overhead switches are in the correct position (read your owner's manual).

2) If your associated dome lamps, associated courtesy lamps (below the door), AND illuminated door sill are not illuminating when it's dark out, then your door latch microswitch is malfunctioning. This switch is clipped inside your door latch, and chances are a little PB blaster will rectify the situation. If not, it's a $35 part on any wholesale website. Replacing the switch involves removing the door panel and being patient.

3) If the associated dome lamp and courtesy lamp ARE working but your illuminated door sill is not working (common), then the problem is your door sill inverter, part number 463 820 15 26. It's currently $157 on most wholesale websites. I've replaced 3 of these this year alone on my 11 year old G55.

Now that you've diagnosed the problem, here's how to fix it:
1) If your door latch microswitch is inoperative, then try removing the upper screw that holds the door latch in place (the one physically screwed to the door itself) and spray some electrical cleaner and PB blaster into the latch mechanism using the red straw that comes with the cleaner. This has never failed to clear a gummed up microswitch for me, and it's part of my standard annual maintenance. I've never personally needed to remove a door panel to fix this switch.

2) If your door sill inverter is not working, then you'll need part number 463 820 15 26. The front inverters take about 5 minutes to replace because they're located behind the carpet/plastic sheet in the associated front foot kick panel. These inverters are wrapped in beige foam to reduce rattling. This repair is very, very easy. The rear door sill inverters are located underneath the front seatbelt reel inside the B pillar. This pillar pops off easily and provides enough access to replace the switch without any serious disassembly. I've always removed the front seatbelt retaining bolt on the B pillar to get more access. The rears take me about 15 minutes to replace.

Pretty much any shade-tree mechanic could replace all of these inverters and microswitches inside of 2 hours. I hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
My driver , and passenger door sills, acted up, My rears have always worked ever since I bought the truck

Found out that the drain on my pass side from moon roof , down to foot kick panel onto passenger side rocker panel drain was full of gunk and mostly the rocker area, My MB tech, cleared the drains but realized that the headliner and passenger floor board was pretty wet due to the rain night before (got lucky) He dried it out and replaced either fuse A or F and , the driver side started working, and not passenger side due to the connector (pictured below)

** side note - if your roof antenna has cracks or is just really old (replace it asap), tech told me this issue happens a lot because a lot of water "can" get inside the sunroof rails and if the drains are clogged it causes a bunch of electrical issues and stains in the headliners and pillars

He found the connector plug that shorted out hence the fuse, but the connector itself is needed to be replaced.

Now driver door works on and off when closing and opening the door. If i watch the sill and move the door back and forth you see the sill flicker on and off. Based on what I read above looks like I need to swap out the micro switch.. good to know and thank you

For anyone else I would also suggest check the driver and passenger side floor for dampness, it could have a similar issue such as mine.
Attached Thumbnails G55 illuminated AMG door sills-img_3130.jpg   G55 illuminated AMG door sills-img_3131.jpg   G55 illuminated AMG door sills-img_3132.jpg   G55 illuminated AMG door sills-img_3133.jpg  

Last edited by MPOW33R; 02-24-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 AM

2004 G55 AMG
Excellent troubleshooting! Yes, that roof antenna can cause a lot of issues (I replaced mine last year when everything started acting up). Now that your inverters are good you probably have another issue with the microswitch.

If the illuminated door sill flickers on and off (or acts sporadically) then your problem is almost assuredly the microswitch. Tinker with the latch mechanism by holding your interior door handle open as you flip the exterior door latch from open to closed several times. When my microswitch gets gunked up the illuminated door sill will behave sporadically during this test. If that's the case all you need to do is remove the top phillips head door latch screw shoot and spray some PB blaster and contact cleaner into the latch. It will eventually seep in and rectify your problem without having to order a new switch and remove your door panel. When it's working you will hear a faint click as the microswitch engages.
Attached Thumbnails G55 illuminated AMG door sills-img_5826.jpg  

Last edited by bryanrex; 02-24-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
Thank you I'm actually about to walk in the garage and handle that right now and let that seep over night!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:15 AM

2004 G55 AMG
...I just posted a photo to the previous link that shows how I go about it.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 AM

G55 AMG 2002
Hi guys, same problem here with the drivers side.. where its located, this inverter? any pic will be appreciated, thanks
Old 12-21-2019, 06:50 AM

2003 g55 amg
03 g55 dome light and sill light.

Team,
i just bought my G55 and im having problem with my front dome lights and drive side door sill light. When ever i unlock the car and open drive side door, the dome lights in front wont turn on and also the door sill light for driver side will turn on very very low light. You can hardly tell if its on. How should i solve the issue

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
Originally Posted by bryanrex

2) If your door sill inverter is not working, then you'll need part number 463 820 15 26. The front inverters take about 5 minutes to replace because they're located behind the carpet/plastic sheet in the associated front foot kick panel. These inverters are wrapped in beige foam to reduce rattling. This repair is very, very easy. The rear door sill inverters are located underneath the front seatbelt reel inside the B pillar. This pillar pops off easily and provides enough access to replace the switch without any serious disassembly. I've always removed the front seatbelt retaining bolt on the B pillar to get more access. The rears take me about 15 minutes to replace.
So, I bought the replacement inverter module and went to install the driver side today on my 2007 G55. I lifted up the front carpet and traced the wire from the sill panel to a hole in the firewall where the wire disappears into. I didn't see any module there. I lifted the same carpet on the passenger side to expose the fuse panel, but again, no inverter shown there. Any idea where these could be located?