G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble at 50+ in cold, deathly scary, did all "fixes" and it still happens..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
W463 G500, W463 G55, W222 S550, F10 M5, RR VOGUE, R107 560SL, VANTAGE, F430, 911
Angry Wobble at 50+ in cold, deathly scary, did all "fixes" and it still happens..

Hi guys,

Admin, please delete if you feel I am "spamming" by posting in the G500 and G55 forums.

There seems to be more activity over here, and since this is a W463 question not pertaining to the engine, I figured you guys would have some insight.

Car: 2003 Mercedes G500

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. First of all, I've seen and read all the threads in regards to the 50MPH "death wobble" that some of us seem to be experiencing on our Gs, and I have it. It's weird and I'll try my best to explain what it is and what I've done to fix it.

1) between 50mph-60mph when driving, if I hit a bump and/or i slightly turn the steering wheel, the car shakes violently - I feel like I'm going to die. This appears to only happen when it is cold outside.

2) this happens on both OEM wheels and aftermarket wheels

Steps I've done to fix the problem:

1) alignment & wheel balance

2) bought new tires

3) bought new rims after I thought the wheels were bent

4) changed inner and outer tie rod ends

5) the other tie rod bar thing (name escapes me, the one the steering damper is connected to)

6) change steering damper from "upgraded w463" to the "bilstein" solution

7) taken it to 10+ shops all of which cannot even feel it (it only happens when it's cold, and I'm in Florida so it's only in the evening/night right now

What else could I be missing? I'm at a loss here, I don't know what it could be. A million people seem to have this issue, I have the EXACT same issue as the others with the same wobble, however, changing the stabilizer bar did not solve it for me, nor did any of the listed above.

Thanks