Gas leak under engine, can't find source

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
RB1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various
Gas leak under engine, can't find source

I have a 2009 G55. I've smelled a faint gas smell on and off for a few weeks, but nothing consistent so I assume it was not from the truck. The other day I took the truck out of the garage (no smell), drove it briefly, filled up the tank and pulled back in my garage. I noticed a faint gas smell but assumed it was from the recent fill-up. An hour later, the fumes were so strong I smelled them in my house. When I pulled the G55 out of the garage, I notice a 6-in diameter puddle of gas under the engine area (towards the back of the engine). I also noticed it dripping a bit in the driveway, then stopped shortly after when I went back outside to check. It was a very cold morning (8 degrees), but the car was warm in the garage when I pulled it out.

I immediately took it to MB, but they can't find the source of the leak and everything looks fine to them. They waited a few days to look so anything wet would have evaporated.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? I need to address it asap.

Thanks-
Rodger
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
Roger,

Buddy of mine has an 08 G55 and he had a similar problem as well, it drove him mad.
Finally resolved the problem and found there was an issue at the gas fill around the
neck area, had it sealed and taped and problem solved. BUT he also threw a CEL because if the faint loss in pressure. Tech said it was size of a pinhole $1,100 bucks later. Hope that helps

Last edited by MPOW33R; 01-31-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:47 AM
RB1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various
Thanks for the response. I'll pass the info along to my MB dealer to have them check there next. Still can't find the problem, and of course it hasn't happened lately!