G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty coming to a end.. What should I check?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G55
Extended warranty coming to a end.. What should I check?

So, my 2008 G55 extended warranty is over in 2 months. Its pretty crazy expensive to renew any further (it has 85k miles) So, I plan on bringing it to the mercedes dealer and telling them to go nuts looking for issues. However, I was thinking perhaps there is some common issues I can say I am 'having a problem with' to suggest a fix. I have already had all my window regulators replaced, so thats done. Im wondering if there is any common mechanical issues I should have them look at. The only thing I can think of is that I have what I think is lifter ticking noise. It could be normal, no idea. Any thoughts? What would you do? For what its worth, it does run/drive very well. I did have a issue maybe a year ago where the transmission went into some weird 'neutral' state. It said something on the dash like "TC IN NEUTRAL" I was able to fix it by following some instruction online, something like holding the Low then high buttons or something. here is a video of the ticking :

Last edited by danodano; 04-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
What should you check? I suggest checking sofa cushions for extra coin to add to your future repairs fund. Har, har. Hope it worked out, I like the approach but most dealerships aren't usually that creative as they get paid to fix problems and not to find them. I hope yours was. I once bought a secondhand Volvo for my sister and told the selling dealer to drive it around for a night on his way home and back make sure everything works. I suggested he could then get whatever warranty repairs done before shipping me the car. Of course I got the car, still under warranty, to find immediately that the air conditioning didn't function. That jerk missed a $2000 warranty repair for his own shop that instead went to the local one by me. See what I mean?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Yep unfortunately I have to agree with you. Unless you have a special relationship with the tech this will be a tough one. I knew one of my old techs personally and he still missed stuff. Just not how they are wired. Maybe you can pay them for a Pre Purchase Inspection (it's like $200) and they will go through every inch of the car and have to test all of the functions. You will also get the depths of the tires, brakes, battery strength and any other wear items you may not be aware of in need of replacement. I've had them done before and they saved me some hassle when buying a used car in another state.

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
What should you check? I suggest checking sofa cushions for extra coin to add to your future repairs fund. Har, har. Hope it worked out, I like the approach but most dealerships aren't usually that creative as they get paid to fix problems and not to find them. I hope yours was. I once bought a secondhand Volvo for my sister and told the selling dealer to drive it around for a night on his way home and back make sure everything works. I suggested he could then get whatever warranty repairs done before shipping me the car. Of course I got the car, still under warranty, to find immediately that the air conditioning didn't function. That jerk missed a $2000 warranty repair for his own shop that instead went to the local one by me. See what I mean?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
Hi, What were your findings in the slight "ticking" noise you were hearing @ idle?