New g63 owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 G63/ 15 Huracan
New g63 owner - a few questions

Hi guys,

Just picked up a 13 g63 with 20k miles at my Maserati dealer with my old car traded in, this is my first Mercedes and have owned pretty much every other European brands before this ( porsche/bmw/landrover/Mas /Lambo)love the truck so far, and I'm based in Nyc/north jersey. A new newbie questions:

1) There is a pretty noticeable vibration above 80mph, the car runs straight. Is this a wheel balance problem? Or nature of the beast?

2) rear side light error comes off and on, If I smacked the light, it goes away is this something that you guys live with given its a handbuilt old truck?

3)there is 1 year left on the original warranty. Should I buy extended warranty now or towards the end of the warranty period assuming if I keep the truck.

4) I'm fairly active on forums, is this the right forum for g63?

Thanks in advance guys and here is a picture of the truck with a custom bamboo carbon bike.
Attached Thumbnails New g63 owner - a few questions-photo426.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mereced Benz G55 AMG
1. vibration is normal for all G wagons
2. lights can flicker, if you remove the light hosing you will see possibly a lose connection somewhere. had that with one of the tail lights
3. thats alwasys good idea, parts are very expensive
4. there are couple, none of the forums are that active since these cars aren't super popular but you can get good info here
Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 AM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
Originally Posted by zhehbka
2. lights can flicker, if you remove the light hosing you will see possibly a lose connection somewhere. had that with one of the tail lights
4. there are couple, none of the forums are that active since these cars aren't super popular but you can get good info here
Thanks, the dealer rebalanced one of the wheels and car only experience slight vibration at 100+ now.

Another question: i would like to add a rear entertainment system, saw a post that there are mb powered iPad holders but it's only for iPad 1 or 2. Was thinking doing a fold down screen with wifi so I can do AirPlay mirroring. Any other good options? Don't like the oem system as retrofitting might be expensive and not enough functionality.
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/axfd17hdwf.html
Old 06-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mereced Benz G55 AMG
i have an iPad mount to the rear of the front seat, also have a hotspot for wifi in the whole car
Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
i have an iPad mount to the rear of the front seat, also have a hotspot for wifi in the whole car
How do you like it? Does it hold newer iPads? Does the car need to be prewired for the holders to be installed?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 PM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
Just ran the vin and look like the factory iPad holder isn't compatible.

Now leaning towards this solution where minimum wiring is required for connectivity. I can just stream via Dnla or http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/axfd17hdwf.html
Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Congrats on the ride man! I just took delivery of my new 16 last week. It was a factory order and well worth the wait. Love the truck.

Yes you should definitely get a warranty. Make sure it's a Benz warranty and not aftermarket

As for forums, I've been posting on them since the 90s as I've been a BMW and MB enthusiast for years. This one is prett slow moving compared to others but as another member mentioned it is as good as you will find for the G.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 PM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
Thanks! Hope you and I will be the more active ones on the forum!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
Update: vibration apparently is related to tires, dealer checked steering and suspension and found no fault.
They first said I need to replace all 4 tires as they can't balance them, which seems odd as the tires have 75 percent thread left. After a few more tries, they were able to balance 2 and I agreed to replace 2.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:10 AM

2016 G63 AMG
Glad you got it worked out! From my experience with tires on Amg And M cars, (I'm sure someone will flame me for this) but you never deviate from the OEM tire and I've also learned that just because there is tread on a tire doesn't mean it's fine.

Especially if you just bought it, you have no idea if the truck was being driven daily or sitting for a year in a hot garage somewhere (which could cause the tires to get out of round) also I've had issues having slight wheel vibrations or alignment etc with non OEM tires on some of my other cars and they are never perfect. If you actually look on the side of your tire closely you will see an "MO" stamped on it, this stands for Mercedes Original. These tires can only be bought at the dealer and are speced exactly for a Benz. They are almost identical to what is sold elsewhere but the MO stamped tires are designed specifically for Mercedes vehicles and sold to the authorized dealers.

Obviously I'm sure there are other tire choices out there but I speak from experience and I am no expert, so I stick with what I know. Also my local dealer will match tire pricing so if tire rack has it for less they match the price.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Originally Posted by jyupitt
Update: vibration apparently is related to tires, dealer checked steering and suspension and found no fault.
They first said I need to replace all 4 tires as they can't balance them, which seems odd as the tires have 75 percent thread left. After a few more tries, they were able to balance 2 and I agreed to replace 2.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:55 PM

13 G63/ 15 Huracan
Originally Posted by JJCTHE1
Glad you got it worked out! From my experience with tires on Amg And M cars, (I'm sure someone will flame me for this) but you never deviate from the OEM tire and I've also learned that just because there is tread on a tire doesn't mean it's fine.

Especially if you just bought it, you have no idea if the truck was being driven daily or sitting for a year in a hot garage somewhere (which could cause the tires to get out of round) also I've had issues having slight wheel vibrations or alignment etc with non OEM tires on some of my other cars and they are never perfect. If you actually look on the side of your tire closely you will see an "MO" stamped on it, this stands for Mercedes Original. These tires can only be bought at the dealer and are speced exactly for a Benz. They are almost identical to what is sold elsewhere but the MO stamped tires are designed specifically for Mercedes vehicles and sold to the authorized dealers.

Obviously I'm sure there are other tire choices out there but I speak from experience and I am no expert, so I stick with what I know. Also my local dealer will match tire pricing so if tire rack has it for less they match the price.

Glad you got it sorted out!
So you are saying they can't be bought from tireracks? It shows that they carry are OE. .
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 PM

2016 G63 AMG
I'm not sure it's probably been 7+ years since I purchased tires anywhere else because of the price matching but if you look on the tire you will see the stamp. You may want to read the fine print and see if they are the identical tire used when manufacturing the car, or if it's the same make/model.

Originally Posted by jyupitt
So you are saying they can't be bought from tireracks? It shows that they carry are OE. .