New to Me G63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
New to Me G63 AMG

After returning the lease on my 2014 S550, I decided to spring for a 2015 G63 with 11K miles on it! Funny - I was negotiating heavily on a 2016 S550 lease in Magnetite Black and looked over to the front of the dealership and saw the Paprika colored beast...decided to test drive and finance this G wagon instead since it's more unique and I still have my 2008 S550 that I regularly drive.

Family member and I also picked up a C63S AMG Coupe today in selenite grey with Black/Red Pepper leather and carbon fiber trim - pics will come in the C AMG forum soon!

Ride quality in the G is definitely atrocious compared to an S Class (my 08 has ABC and my 14 had Magic Body Control) and I miss my swiveling headlamps/Keyless-Go, but this thing gets so many stares, especially with the Red Designo Manufaktur Paprika paint and the super tinted windows the previous owners had done - in SoCal, I've already been people stop in front of me and whip out their phones to take photographs. The car has the Designo Black/Titanium Pearl Nappa interior, which is a sight to behold as well - love the quilted leather! Only gripes about it being used is that the paint isn't in swirl-free condition and the Black Piano wood trim has quite a number of deep white scratches, presumably from the previous owner's nails (I was informed the lady who owned it before me swapped it out for another G63 with a different interior color). Although I miss the massage and other amenities - glad to see the same COMAND unit as from my 2013 SLK350 I had a while back.

Couple questions:

1. I've heard quite a number of stories about G wagon parts getting stolen in SoCal - are there headlight grills/tail lamp grills available to protect against thieves?

2. Chrome brush guard is pitted from previous owner - has anyone polished the chrome brush guard before to remove light scratches? Or do most people just let the brush guard be?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Previous owner's cousin (who I actually met at the dealer strangely enough while buying my C63S the other day) also installed the chrome underplate found on the G65 AMG for fun! I can only assume they were there to buy another G
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 PM
3WD
SPONSOR

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Car
Congrats on your New G63...love the color =)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Wow now that's a cool color! Love it. Yea man lots and lots of attention in the G. Way more than I ever expected and too have had a lot of nice cars. None of which fetched this kind of attention from random people. I haven't heard anything about parts theft then again I am in Florida so can't help you there.

Also although I left the brush guard on my designo matte midnight black 2016 G63, most people actually remove it or even paint it black. I felt it breaks up the matte paint on mine nicely so decided not to do anything to it yet.

But im sure you can get it chromed or painted etc.

i had an E63 before this with all the goodies and the only one I miss is the massage seats. I kinda like not having keyless go because i always know where the keys are. Didn't notice anything about the headlights. And that exhaust on the G is just so awesome. Especially w the window down and the car in sport!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
(update) You can also adjust your brush guard to be tilted closer
to your headlights to make it extremely difficult for the thieves such as I did.
Requires the brush guard removal tool which should be underneath
the floor board of back seat center underneath the center floor mat.

I'm in Nor Cal and travel to Marina Del Ray , CA Often and have some
G buddies out there and 2 of 3 had their headlights, fog lights and frames stolen.
One of them had it replaced by insurance to a sum of around 5k with paint and install.

The other replaced with aftermarket for under 1K with paint and install,
he also attached a thin cable to the back of them when installing to make it
kinda somewhat anti theft, well when they thieves tried to steal them a second
time, they didn't get the parts BUT they damaged the parts so much that he had
to replace them again anyway.

I assume you can protect and find a solution to secure the headlights, but I don't
see how you can for the headlight frames. Plus I also doubt the thieves will have
the ***** to resell paprika parts that are somewhat one off but then again
I wouldn't put anything past the idiots running around today.

Last edited by MPOW33R; 11-18-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
This is the only solution I have seen for you Cali guys that have to deal with this...

http://vikingoffroad.com/g-wagen-front-grille/
Old 11-21-2016, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MPOW33R
(update) You can also adjust your brush guard to be tilted closer
to your headlights to make it extremely difficult for the thieves such as I did.
Requires the brush guard removal tool which should be underneath
the floor board of back seat center underneath the center floor mat.

I'm in Nor Cal and travel to Marina Del Ray , CA Often and have some
G buddies out there and 2 of 3 had their headlights, fog lights and frames stolen.
One of them had it replaced by insurance to a sum of around 5k with paint and install.

The other replaced with aftermarket for under 1K with paint and install,
he also attached a thin cable to the back of them when installing to make it
kinda somewhat anti theft, well when they thieves tried to steal them a second
time, they didn't get the parts BUT they damaged the parts so much that he had
to replace them again anyway.

I assume you can protect and find a solution to secure the headlights, but I don't
see how you can for the headlight frames. Plus I also doubt the thieves will have
the ***** to resell paprika parts that are somewhat one off but then again
I wouldn't put anything past the idiots running around today.
Thank you for the advice! Good to know - I won't park in Marina Del Rey at night I'll play around with the brush guard and see what I can do