Sponsored by:

First time buyer. 2017 G63 to order.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1994 Toyota LandCruiser, 2003 Lexus LX 470, 2017 G63, 2019 Toyota LandCruiser
First time buyer. 2017 G63 to order.

After spending the last year looking at everything from a Toyota Landcruiser to a Range Rover and even BMW M5 for our new family vehicle, my wife and I finally settled on the G63.

While the Landcruiser is probably the most practical of all vehicles that we were considering, I cant justify spending $90k for a Toyota (or $100k for the incredibly ugly LX 570). The RRs just seem like over priced junk that people lease for 3 years and then replace before they start to fall apart. The M5 was really nice, but for us an SUV made the most sense for a family hauler and the section 179 write off for heavy vehicles sweetened the deal. Something about a rare luxury SUV on a 1970's truck frame with locking diffs and a boxy exterior made me a fan of the G-class since I started driving 16 years ago. We first drove a G63 at the start of this year and instantly fell in love with it. It was the only SUV we sampled that was actually exciting to drive, even though it handles like my 300k mi 1994 Landcruiser that's on 37" tires. The sound of that twin turbo V-8 is absolutely incredible and the interior was surprisingly comfortable. While not cheap at $150k with options, I feel like this is something that will serve us well for at least the next 5-7 years, if not into the next decade.

We did contemplate purchasing a CPO '14/15 model, but they hold their value surprisingly well and decided we would rather order a new one with the color/options we wanted. Plus the bonus section 179 depreciation only applies to new vehicles so that essentially cancelled out any discounts for purchasing a used G63. With that being said, it looks like 2017 might be the last year to pick up a 2017 G63 before the new model arrives. My wife is due with our first child in July so we are hoping to have our new G by then. It looks like most orders take about 3 months from start to finish so as long as we get one in by April we should be fine.

For those that have ordered their G's, are there any dealers you would recommend working with? What are most people getting off of the MSRP on an ordered vehicle? 5-6% reasonable? Also, are there any G owners who have put over 100k mi on their vehicle? Just curious as to what the long term reliability is on these. Are these pretty easy to work on? I've done everything from axle rebuilds to r&r an engine/transmission on old Landcruisers so I don't mind turning a wrench when its out of warranty.

-Kris

Last edited by BadReligion; 12-14-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G 63 AMG
Theres a major update coming to the G-Class in the 2018 model year, in case you are willing to wait. Deliveries to the US may start in early 2018.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
hry

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Theres a major update coming to the G-Class in the 2018 model year, in case you are willing to wait. Deliveries to the US may start in early 2018.
Care to share what major updates might be?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
It might take more than 3 months from the time you put your order in with the dealership, because they would still need to get an allocation.

Placed my G63 order with the local dealership (Northern California) in November, but the car will not get built until March. So the actual delivery will be more around June or so.

Guess it depends on how fast your dealership can get an allocation.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Not interested in the new one as it looks like they are making it IFS up front.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Busteau
It might take more than 3 months from the time you put your order in with the dealership, because they would still need to get an allocation.

Placed my G63 order with the local dealership (Northern California) in November, but the car will not get built until March. So the actual delivery will be more around June or so.

Guess it depends on how fast your dealership can get an allocation.
Good to know. Some of the smaller dealerships probably only get a handful of allocations a year. I haven't had the best experience with my local dealers (ordered my first M3 local and it was a TERRIBLE experience, then ordered my next one through BMW of SF and it was a night and day difference). I don't feel like the local MB dealer is any better but I can always go down there and see what they are willing to do.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Welcome aboard. The G is awesome. I've had some bad *** cars and the G is my favorite. I ordered in February and took delivery in June. Part of the reason why it took so long is I ordered matte paint.

They do hold their value incredibly well, I don't work on cars so I can't comment about being easy to work on. I got the extended new car warranty so that won't be an issue for many years. I'm a single guy and I Mercedes of Tampa and they were excellent. I got a discount but it wasn't much. It was a fair price maybe 3 or 4 % off if I recall but got great service and was very happy to get exactly what I wanted. Hope this helps. have a few cars, I will say the G is a little small in the back. So you may want to test your kids getting in and out or whatever because it might be a little tight. Rest of the truck is awesome. It's like the perfect fit for me and my lifestyle as well as my personality. I bought my from

Originally Posted by BadReligion
After spending the last year looking at everything from a Toyota Landcruiser to a Range Rover and even BMW M5 for our new family vehicle, my wife and I finally settled on the G63.

While the Landcruiser is probably the most practical of all vehicles that we were considering, I cant justify spending $90k for a Toyota (or $100k for the incredibly ugly LX 570). The RRs just seem like over priced junk that people lease for 3 years and then replace before they start to fall apart. The M5 was really nice, but for us an SUV made the most sense for a family hauler and the section 179 write off for heavy vehicles sweetened the deal. Something about a rare luxury SUV on a 1970's truck frame with locking diffs and a boxy exterior made me a fan of the G-class since I started driving 16 years ago. We first drove a G63 at the start of this year and instantly fell in love with it. It was the only SUV we sampled that was actually exciting to drive, even though it handles like my 300k mi 1994 Landcruiser that's on 37" tires. The sound of that twin turbo V-8 is absolutely incredible and the interior was surprisingly comfortable. While not cheap at $150k with options, I feel like this is something that will serve us well for at least the next 5-7 years, if not into the next decade.

We did contemplate purchasing a CPO '14/15 model, but they hold their value surprisingly well and decided we would rather order a new one with the color/options we wanted. Plus the bonus section 179 depreciation only applies to new vehicles so that essentially cancelled out any discounts for purchasing a used G63. With that being said, it looks like 2017 might be the last year to pick up a 2017 G63 before the new model arrives. My wife is due with our first child in July so we are hoping to have our new G by then. It looks like most orders take about 3 months from start to finish so as long as we get one in by April we should be fine.

For those that have ordered their G's, are there any dealers you would recommend working with? What are most people getting off of the MSRP on an ordered vehicle? 5-6% reasonable? Also, are there any G owners who have put over 100k mi on their vehicle? Just curious as to what the long term reliability is on these. Are these pretty easy to work on? I've done everything from axle rebuilds to r&r an engine/transmission on old Landcruisers so I don't mind turning a wrench when its out of warranty.

-Kris
The following users liked this post:
BadReligion (01-14-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM

2016 G63 AMG
Sorry that last post is from my mobile and the sentences got a bit mixed up. You get the point lol
Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JJCTHE1
Welcome aboard. The G is awesome. I've had some bad *** cars and the G is my favorite. I ordered in February and took delivery in June. Part of the reason why it took so long is I ordered matte paint.

They do hold their value incredibly well, I don't work on cars so I can't comment about being easy to work on. I got the extended new car warranty so that won't be an issue for many years. I'm a single guy and I Mercedes of Tampa and they were excellent. I got a discount but it wasn't much. It was a fair price maybe 3 or 4 % off if I recall but got great service and was very happy to get exactly what I wanted. Hope this helps. have a few cars, I will say the G is a little small in the back. So you may want to test your kids getting in and out or whatever because it might be a little tight. Rest of the truck is awesome. It's like the perfect fit for me and my lifestyle as well as my personality. I bought my from

Thanks for the info. The local dealer has a new '17 in stock so we might go down for one more test drive, then sit down talk pricing for a custom build. I am going to ask for 8% off MSRP (plus I get a fleet discount through a professional association) and settle for 6-7%. If they cant do that, there are plenty of dealers over the hill in CA who might be more willing to negotiate.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
I got the G for the kids. Fits fine so far with a clek foonf car seat which btw is YUGEEE!

I don't remember how much I got now but I think I got 6% but this is my regular dealership, we get new cars alot. I searched around for some instock G63 at the time but they discounted very little to none. Good Luck. Also when I tried to build one, it's most important the dealership can get an allocation in time. One of the other dealers I reached out to wanted me to wait like 5 months or so

Last edited by johndong888; 01-15-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Last time I shopped, everyone said MSRP or GTFO on an ordered G63

They would deal a little like 1-3% off the lot, though
Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 AM

2016 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by jenz
Last time I shopped, everyone said MSRP or GTFO on an ordered G63

They would deal a little like 1-3% off the lot, though
yep. This. If you want a deal find an in stock unit and be ready to take it home that day, and if you see any more than 3% off I would be shocked. Made no sense for me to get one off the lot it's not enough savings not to have exactly what I want especially for this kind of money