General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Mercedes Benz W110 Binz Hearse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w110 hearse
Mercedes Benz W110 Binz Hearse

Hi All

Can anyone tell me more about these cars?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 AM

w110 hearse
How can no-one reply to this thread.

Does no-one have information on these types of cars?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:31 AM

W111 3.5 Coupe, Jag X300
Hi,

you got yourself a very rare car indeed. And from your photos it looks like to be in very good condition. Congrats!!

Binz made around 80 to 100 of them plus another 12 rhd versions. They were normally built on a chassis that was extended by 400 mm to a total of 3,100 mm. Most of them were five door versions. I have no idea, how many of them were made like yours with just three doors. Most of these car used the diesel version. You car appears to be the six-cylinder 230 car. That is even rarer! I can image that less than 10 were built the way your car was done.

In those days there were around four companies in Germany that concentrated on building hearses (and ambulance cars) on a Mercedes chassis. Next to Binz, there were Miesen, Rappold and Pollmann. But also other companies in Austria (Jauernig) and Switzerland (Marbach) did a few conversions. Also Argentina had a few coach-builders that used Mercedes chassis. One of them was Lorenzo Zugner from Buenos Aires.

The most famous station wagon (not hearse though) came from a Belgian company called IMA. They did with the full support of Daimler-Benz the famous 190/200/230 Universal. I have covered some of them (plus pictures of a rhd Binz station wagon) in one of my books about Mercedes cars.

I hope that I could be a bit of help,

Bernd

Last edited by bskoehling; 12-21-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:21 AM

w110 hearse
Originally Posted by bskoehling
Hi,

you got yourself a very rare car indeed. And from your photos it looks like to be in very good condition. Congrats!!

Binz made around 80 to 100 of them plus another 12 rhd versions. They were normally built on a chassis that was extended by 400 mm to a total of 3,100 mm. Most of them were five door versions. I have no idea, how many of them were made like yours with just three doors. Most of these car used the diesel version. You car appears to be the six-cylinder 230 car. That is even rarer! I can image that less than 10 were built the way your car was done.

In those days there were around four companies in Germany that concentrated on building hearses (and ambulance cars) on a Mercedes chassis. Next to Binz, there were Miesen, Rappold and Pollmann. But also other companies in Austria (Jauernig) and Switzerland (Marbach) did a few conversions. Also Argentina had a few coach-builders that used Mercedes chassis. One of them was Lorenzo Zugner from Buenos Aires.

The most famous station wagon (not hearse though) came from a Belgian company called IMA. They did with the full support of Daimler-Benz the famous 190/200/230 Universal. I have covered some of them (plus pictures of a rhd Binz station wagon) in one of my books about Mercedes cars.

I hope that I could be a bit of help,

Bernd

Hi bskoehling

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It was getting frustrating that no-one could help.

That sounds very interesting. I wonder if it was not perhaps built on a special request from a client.
The car is in great shape. There is a little of body putty on the rear left fender, it seems it might of had a minor knock sometime in its life. The under carriage is still good. No rust. The interior is still neat.

I am looking at selling this car and I have quite a few interested parties but no idea what I Should be selling it for?
Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM

W111 3.5 Coupe, Jag X300
Hearses from Binz, Miesen or Pollmann were and still are in most cases made to order. That means the customer can choose between various options like in your case a three-door version.

Telling you what your car might be worth is impossible, as I haven't seen it. But at least I can give you a few general ideas, if you allow me. Usually a Binz, Miesen etc station wagon sells at a premium of some 30% over the standard sedan. The earlier versions for the ponton cars sell at higher prices (maybe some 50% higher than the sedan), later versions can sell at lower ones.

A hearse is usually a special case, as most people do not fancy driving one. So from my experience you need to have someone, who likes such cars, otherwise you end up getting even less for it than for the standard sedan. And it doesn't matter much that most probably only ten of your particular car were ever produced.

You mention that you have some people, who are interested in your car. Why not ask them for an offer? Keep in mind that a mint 230 sedan (1965-1968) sells for around US$10 to 12k ball park.