General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

The Great Missing Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E420
The Great Missing Cars

I'm trying to put together a list of significant missing sports cars for a book project, cars that have dropped off the map but that might still be out there somewhere (ie, the Max Wax Ferrari 375 MM, the stolen Goldfinger DB5). I'm not asking anyone to give up any secrets, but if you have any tips (and photos!), I'd love to talk to you. I'm particularly interested in the two US SLSs, 8467 198 106/2 and 8742 620 070/1, but also anything from an SSK on up.

Please email me at dave@proscriptus.com. I can't promise any reward beyond a credit in the book, but it should be a whole lot of fun.

Dave
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E420
After talking with some folks, I think I've given the wrong impression about the book. Unlike past projects, I haven't been asked to write a work of serious scholarship. Yes, I need to get my facts straight, but the idea isn't to find the cars, more to talk about the mystery.

So I'm not asking anyone to hand over their research, nor to compromise any leads. In fact, I encourage you to take advantage of this--give me the story up to 1980, or only part of it, and if any new leads turn up, I'll happily pass them along.

I've also talked to my editor, and he's also interested in major known cars with missing history, which is even less compromising. We'll even include some great finds, like Ferrari GTO 3589 or the first Shelby Cobra Daytona.

Either way, if you have a story to share, I'll work with you to ensure any confidential information stays that way. The mystery will only add to the fun.