General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Shorted my battery now it won't start! ('81 240d)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 240d
Shorted my battery now it won't start! ('81 240d)

Sooo, I just picked up an 81 240d. I replaced the fuel filters, as I've read is a good thing to do often on these old deisels, and had a hard time starting it after due to air in the fuel lines. I ended up killing the battery due to cranking and cranking. So I get my dad's late model pickup and try jump starting it (after trying to prime my lines better)... well, stupid stupid, I crossed my cables and attached my positive to negative and got some sparks and smoke. Was attached for a few seconds. Really dumb. Anyway, I get them right and let it sit and charge and the starter simply won't turn over. I charge the battery overnight and it still won't turn over. I just get a click when I turn the key. Fuses are good.

Any ideas on what to check next? I must have fried something. Any other fuses that aren't in the fuse box I can check? I feel really dumb here, and up **** creek. I need my ride. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1980 500 SLC, 1991 560 SEL AMG, 1982 300 TD, 1985 300d Langversion 1970 300 SEL 6.3 2001 G500
Hi, if you are getting a "click" sound, it sounds to me that you have a bad connection. If you are sure the battery is 100%, clean every connection from the battery. By that I mean both terminals and pos/neg battery cables, where the negative cable grounds to the body, and also disconnect and clean the positive connection to the starter. These cars are very simple with no computers, so I doubt you "fried" anything. If anything, you may have stressed an already poor connection that was corroded. Do you have dash lights on at full power? i.e. glow plug light etc.

Also, fyi, these engines have a manual hand primer at the fuel distributor. Pump that for a minute or two and it will save your battery next time.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1958 MB 300d
One post and done ??.
Then I won't waste my time giving advice ?