Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Electric Mercedes G-Class: 6 Cool Facts and Features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

By Verdad Gallardo

A masterful blend of off-road prowess and electric innovation.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 856 Likes on 659 Posts
G550
Stuffing the charging cable into a box that mounts where the spare tire used to be seems just too premonitory.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Received 340 Likes on 232 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
They should have stuffed that box with beef jerky and bottles of water for the three day hike back to civilization. I can't eat the charging cable... well, maybe, but it'd be real chewy.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Crito
They should have stuffed that box with beef jerky and bottles of water for the three day hike back to civilization. I can't eat the charging cable... well, maybe, but it'd be real chewy.
If its insulation is the vegetable derived stuff that the squirrels love to snack on, MB could offer it in flavors coordinated with the paint (lol).
Old Today, 06:44 AM

Someone else posted a link to German site that shows the spare on the back as an option so they haven't completely lost their minds. I just really don't understand the thinking behind the box at all. It seems to exist solely for aesthetic reasons... just because a G looks weird without something back there.
Old Today, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Crito
Someone else posted a link to German site that shows the spare on the back as an option so they haven't completely lost their minds. I just really don't understand the thinking behind the box at all. It seems to exist solely for aesthetic reasons... just because a G looks weird without something back there.
It does seem odd that the designers felt it was an "either/or" situation. The conventional spare cover could have had a cable compartment and access door inset into the wheel's inside cavity that faces outward. I don't get the square shape -- why not a triangle that lights up red & orange and could function as a disabled vehicle warning?
Old Today, 08:44 AM

The gas G was a capable off-road vehicle first and a flashy around-town cruiser second. This one was built from the ground up for tank turns and G roars not four wheeling.

I think they've ruined the G brand with this vehicle... and trying to stick "with EQ technology" into the name didn't help.
Old Today, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Not exactly what the Shah had in mind back in the 70's. If the G580 depreciation follows the EQS's, there won't be much to celebrate in Stuttgart.