Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

buying advice-reliable 2nd mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 sedan
buying advice-reliable 2nd mercedes

What C class would be most reliable/good on gas? I want a 2000-2004 looking to spend 7-14k. the lower end would be best but I don't want to get a bad used car so I am flexible.

I am driving a 95 e320. The old owner did not take care of it and I am just getting to the point where it is catching up with the car (I bought it a year and three months ago at 103k, and it now has 118) I replaced flex discs, expansion tank, brakes. reverse is going out and I think tranny is next. I don't want to put 5k into a car I bought for 4k when I could just get a newer one for 10. I love my model but its time to change.

I am looking at trading/private party selling and buying a newer Mercedes. I love e-class but c class seems more affordable since I just finished college I need to budget, but I would rather drive a C class than a honda even if it means downsizing.

Are there years/models of c clas that are known to be more reliable than others? I would like a 2000-2004 c class for 7-14k to spend. I like the c320 all wheel drive, but I am more interested in reliability and fuel efficiency as I grow older and have a lot of student loans to pay the smaller engine might have to be it for now.

For a young professional wanting a C class that is reliable and good on gas, what would you reccomend? I don't mind keeping a car up, I just can't afford to play catchup on my old one so i want a reliable model. Any bargain models or ones that are better low cost commuter cars?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 PM

W203-4M W163
Look later into the W203--2005/2006/2007 which you can get used for $14K and the problems of the earlier years tend to diminish. There are references to this on the forum, so do some searching as well.

I'm assuming you're looking at the non-AMG models and those are all very reasonable in terms of fuel economy, but the higher you go (from C230 to C350, and I'm assuming US models since you're in AZ), you're getting more power, so less fuel economy. Also, 4Matic costs you power and MPG, so if you're in Tucson, I'd really consider if you need the 4matic.

Last edited by FraKctured; 08-14-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 AM

1995 E320 sedan
Thanks! So the 2001-2004 C class are fairly problematic?

I definately do not want AMG...my AMG is going to wait until a few years of work and saving!

I am thinking non 4-matic because I have no need, I just want a reliable commuter car. I like the 2003 because it has better engine ratings than then 01 and 02, but I don't know if finding an 02 or 9k would be a reliable car after checking on some of the issues you speak of.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by dth0183
Thanks! So the 2001-2004 C class are fairly problematic?

I definately do not want AMG...my AMG is going to wait until a few years of work and saving!

I am thinking non 4-matic because I have no need, I just want a reliable commuter car. I like the 2003 because it has better engine ratings than then 01 and 02, but I don't know if finding an 02 or 9k would be a reliable car after checking on some of the issues you speak of.
My first Benz was a '98 C230 (W202) and it was rock solid, no problems whatsoever (the only reason I traded it in was because I couldn't deal with winter driving with a RWD car anymore--got a 4Matic and it's awesome). I've just read on the forum and in other places that the early years of the W203 had more issues than the later years. (Glyn Ruck, a truly amazing resource on all things Benz and on the W203s in particular, has spoken about this several times--search his posts for more info). I also own a 2000 ML which many have had a lot of problems with, but mine has had no major issues and I'm at 130K miles, runs like a clock. In general, the later years of a new design will be better, bugs ironed out etc. but you just never know if you weren't the one driving it off the lot on day 1.

My current Benz is a '06 C280-4M and I've had a few odd problems, most were under warranty. Other than those few things, it's been a fantastic car and I absolutely love driving it every day, but it has had a few more issues than either my ML or my previous C--go figure! But then again, it has a LOT more electronics and features (4Matic vs RWD among many) in it, so there is more potential for issues.

The biggest thing in the used market, I think, is to make absolutely sure that the owner(s) has/have taken good care of the car. Ask for records, and if they don't have any, don't buy the car no matter how good it looks or feels. I think you may have found that out from your E320 perhaps? PM me for more ideas on that if you want.

Case in point: This spring, a friend of mine who loves our ML, found one at a used car dealer, asked me to go with her to have a look. No records other than a clean car fax, no owner history, service records, nothing. Drove fine, but there were a few odd things--horn didn't work, something with the steering didn't feel right. I gave her the same advice, but she couldn't wait to get the car and the problems started almost immediately--steering, leaks, transmission. She sold it at a loss of $2500 from purchase price within 3 months after putting $2500 or so into it. Ouch.

Go slow and wait it out. Find yourself a good W203 and you'll have a reliable, reasonably fuel efficient, and very safe and enjoyable ride for many years to come. These are great cars in my opinion. Good luck!