Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

DIY Fail!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
DIY Fail!

Anyone care to share any of their personal and embarassing do-it-yourself fail stories?

Doesn't matter if it's an MB or not.

Here's mine:

My mother's S430 had 200k on original tranny fluid until it started to show signs of failure (hard shifting).

I called our indy to find out if we can bring in the car for a tranny drain & fill but had no luck contacting him for a few weeks. During this time the shifting becomes unbearable so I decide to man up and gather all pertinent info to get the job done and do my mother a favor...

Long story short, I did a drain and fill and followed the MB owner's manual regarding max capacity...I put in 9 qts....fluid leaked out the sides of the pan like a sieve, I did not know that was "dry fill" capacity.

LOL so I drained a few qts until the leaking stopped then decided to go above & beyond and fiddle with the conductor plate(I forgot the name of the part everyone recommends to replace while doing a tranny svc, it wasn't even leaking/broken to begin with but I figured I bought the part, i'm gonna change it)

So upon removal I disconnect the plug, it's not coming out so after 20 minutes I get frustrated and start turning it with a vice grip trying to pry it out! Little did I know that the dozen or so delicate prongs are now destroyed and the car will only stay in limp mode!

Keep in mind this whole time I'm going back and forth cycling through the gears, waiting 10 seconds between each gear. I forgot the full details(it's been some time since) but I remember cycling through the gears ON AN EMPTY TRANSMISSION!! Meaning, I get so flustered that I forget that I completely drained the fluid but forgot to top if off, turned the car on, and cycled through the gears for at least 100 seconds!!(wait 10 secs in each gear)

Embarrassing to admit but I destroyed that gearbox! My poor mother ended up spending ~7K for a rebuilt transmission installed and warrantied. The car has not felt the same since...

This is one horse I will never get back on, the job is pretty straighforward(tranny drain & fill) but I had misinformation and ended up scarred for life LOL. I was 25 at the time.

This Merc will be taken to the indy for the next tranny service, I have and always have DIYd most everything else..

Oh, just remembered. My ex had a S/C GTP, needed to replace the lower rad hose. After an hour or so cutting up my hands, the hose is replaced, BUT little did I know you have to bleed the air out of the cooling system (I thought it was a self-bleeding system like other makes) so it never occurred to me to check the thermostat housing for a bleeder screw, which was there.

Suffice to say, withing 10 miles, her radiator popped..

Last edited by VMAX7; 05-19-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: DIY Fail
Old 08-21-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Giggity
Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
1993 Toyota pickup
Oil change fail

On my 1988 Mercury Cougar V8, could not figure out why it only took 3 quarts of oil after an oil change when the manual said over 4. Drained the oil, took off the filter, installed the new filter, installed the drain plug - only took 3 quarts. It wasn't until a year and three oil changes later I discovered this car had *two* oil drain plugs. Some genius designed the oil pan to overlap a steering link, dividing the pan into two sections. That explained why the fresh oil would immediately turn dark after changing.

My next car was a leased 1995 C220 and I never looked back. Liked that car so much that I'm trying to find a good used W-202 again.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
M y Granddaughter added a quart of motor oil to her BMW instead of trans fluid. She got away with it, that is to say, no problems before she traded the car.