Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Exporting C300W USA to Canada ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300W
Exporting C300W USA to Canada ...

Hello MB World.
New to the forum so bear with me! Exporting a 2015 C300 from USA into Canada and now find that i may need to replace instrument cluster to be compliant in Canada. There is an option to turn on the daytime running lights however in speaking with Mercedes service department in order to be compliant the driver must not have the option to turn off the daytime running lights and the cluster must be replaced.
Any feedback or experience in this would be much appreciated.
Rgds ...
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Wow you picked the wrong time to import---the loonie has lost about 17% of its value---the daytime running is easy as long as you have the diagnostic equipment---the cluster your foooooked-----it's new cluster time and any Canadian dealer can provide the part number for the metric cluster.

However with all this mumbo jumbo you may want to go straight to the horses mouth and speak with your license bureau on the subject!!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 AM

C300W
Appreciate the response! Actually lived in the US and moved back to Canada and yes timing could not have been worse on moving the vehicle that said i did good on home sale and other investments moving back to Canada. I probably would have sold the car rather than take it back to Canada. The gov't web sites on the topic do not get into the details only say that DRL are required. A little frustrating to say the least!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:38 PM

2012 w204 C300
Which province are you going into? I'm from BC and i see a lot of US cars sold here, they have MPH on their cluster. I think as long as you have the readouts for Km/h and Mph you would be fine. I haven't heard anyone say that they need to replace their cluster. Plus the w204 should have a digital speed readout which you can change to MPH or Km/h, well mine has.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 AM

C300W
Soooo ... Mercedes dealers (Mercedes Canada) in Edmonton wanted $500 before they would even tell me what was required. That said service rep with Heritage Mercedes in South Edmonton said the display would need to be changed along with start mechanism. Needless to say i was not going to pay the $5000+ that would be required to do this. I purchased some strip light LED'S and put them in the bottom grill left and right side, wired them with fuse connection that came on when ignition was turned on and that was it. That was enough to get RIV inspection completed and it is now registered in Canada.
I understand the gov't requirement for daytime running lights and even though my vehicle had them i could turn them off. Disconnecting DRL is so easy whether taking out fuse, snipping a wire or what have you so the RIV requirements for DRL is a joke.