Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GL Class (X164)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


GL Class (X164) 2007-Present: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 178
Drives: 2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
GL550 Road Test (Car and Driver)

0-60 in 5.9.

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...0.html?al=1450
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

__________________
Raj

GL550, Pewter/Macadamia, RSE, iPod interface, tow package
sraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
sraj thanks for the link.. 5.9sec - that's awesome.. So do I win the wager we made on this forum (0-60 times) a few months ago???
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: fl
Posts: 352
Drives: 1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
The 550 seems to be a solid overachiever in every one of its applications.
nantucketsleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh View Post
The 550 seems to be a solid overachiever in every one of its applications.
I dumped an 04 X5 4.4 at lease end for the GL550.. MB has got the X5 licked IMHO.. Just thought I'd mention that since I see you had 4.4 X5 as well.
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Drives: 2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550 View Post
I dumped an 04 X5 4.4 at lease end for the GL550.. MB has got the X5 licked IMHO.. Just thought I'd mention that since I see you had 4.4 X5 as well.
If ever I read an article that more than justifies a AMG Badge on this Beast it is this one. He even mentions it twice. Mine will have an AMG badge upon return to LV for sure.

2550 mile trip and I averaged 18.3 at average speed of 68 mph. So much for the 14mpg figure.

5 stars to C & D for the article!
__________________
2011 E350 Cabriolet in Artic White with Mocha/Almond Leather

Nevada Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
I too am a C & D fan and very pleased of their review of my GL550.. This article makes me feel justified in my purchase.
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Member
 
axchung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 127
Drives: 2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Finally! Some real info on the 550 performance. I have been screening every car magazine searching for articles. Great review, thanks for the link.
axchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by axchung View Post
Finally! Some real info on the 550 performance. I have been screening every car magazine searching for articles. Great review, thanks for the link.
heah axchung you've got my same car and we're in the same area.. were you able to get any deal on the purchase..
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Member
 
axchung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 127
Drives: 2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550 View Post
heah axchung you've got my same car and we're in the same area.. were you able to get any deal on the purchase..
$1000 off sticker....
__________________
axchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
Heah I guess my deal wasn't so bad afterall...
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
MKW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: .
Posts: 377
Drives: 08 GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550 View Post
sraj thanks for the link.. 5.9sec - that's awesome.. So do I win the wager we made on this forum (0-60 times) a few months ago???
Dodson and I win - you guessed 5.8 , we guessed 5.9 !

Here's the original thread :


http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=206887

MKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Waiting-4-550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 435
Drives: 2008 MB GL550 (gone), 2011 MB CL63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5 50i, 2014 GL 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
Dodson and I win - you guessed 5.8 , we guessed 5.9 !

Here's the original thread :


http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=206887

Good reference link.. Okay so what do I owe you guys and does my second place get me anythiing besides an awesome preforming GL monster!!!
Waiting-4-550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Stumblefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Rocky Mtns.
Posts: 1,046
Drives: '06 A6 & '08 GL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550 View Post
Okay so what do I owe you guys?
A bowl of cabbage soup would be nice.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Out Of Control!!
 
AsianML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 18,422
Drives: a Jaaaaaag
Verde Brook is a sexy color.
__________________
-Vinh
mbWorldFolding@Home! <-Click on the link.
Help Cure Cancer, Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and more!


AsianML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
MKW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: .
Posts: 377
Drives: 08 GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550 View Post
Good reference link.. Okay so what do I owe you guys and does my second place get me anythiing besides an awesome preforming GL monster!!!

My 1986 944 Turbo and my 1987 911 Targa were tested 0-60 in 6 seconds . The only OEM cars quicker then were 911 Turbo ,Ferrari Testarossa and such -in the 5's . Now SUVs with 0-60 secs in the 5-5.9 sec range are "common ".
MKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Danno4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 405
Drives: 2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
"Whereas lesser GLs look a bit tipsy, nouveau riche, and just sort of ugly"
Danno4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Stumblefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Rocky Mtns.
Posts: 1,046
Drives: '06 A6 & '08 GL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno4x4 View Post
"Whereas lesser GLs look a bit tipsy, nouveau riche, and just sort of ugly"
Couldn't agree more with your smilies.

The writer of that article is a moron and lost his credibility with me when he made that comment. Regardless of the model #, the GL has the best looking SUV line out there, hands down.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
Member
 
axchung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 127
Drives: 2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
My 1986 944 Turbo and my 1987 911 Targa were tested 0-60 in 6 seconds . The only OEM cars quicker then were 911 Turbo ,Ferrari Testarossa and such -in the 5's . Now SUVs with 0-60 secs in the 5-5.9 sec range are "common ".
My 1993 GMC Typhoon did 0-60 in 5.3sec.
__________________
axchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 178
Drives: 2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
Couldn't agree more with your smilies.

The writer of that article is a moron and lost his credibility with me when he made that comment. Regardless of the model #, the GL has the best looking SUV line out there, hands down.
As GL owners, we could be accused of being biased in favor of the styling. From what I've read in the automotive press, though, we're hardly alone in that opinion. What's not to like? The truck has such aerodynamic lines for a full-size SUV (swept-back windshield, rising character lines on the sides), but it still looks tough (power bulges, strong light package and grill, etc.). The author of the C&D article is definitely in the minority on this one.
__________________
Raj

GL550, Pewter/Macadamia, RSE, iPod interface, tow package
sraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
Member
 
Tyler Durden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 233
Drives: 2004 S55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by axchung View Post
My 1993 GMC Typhoon did 0-60 in 5.3sec.
My '07 Jeep SRT in 4.2...bone stock.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Drives: 2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
A bowl of cabbage soup would be nice.
Would somebody please get this man a bowl of Cabbage Soup...:-)
__________________
2011 E350 Cabriolet in Artic White with Mocha/Almond Leather

Nevada Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #22
Member
 
axchung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 127
Drives: 2008 GL550 Obsidian Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
My '07 Jeep SRT in 4.2...bone stock.
14 years later... and the Typhoon was also stock.
__________________
axchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #23
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Stumblefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Rocky Mtns.
Posts: 1,046
Drives: '06 A6 & '08 GL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraj View Post
As GL owners, we could be accused of being biased in favor of the styling. From what I've read in the automotive press, though, we're hardly alone in that opinion. What's not to like? The truck has such aerodynamic lines for a full-size SUV (swept-back windshield, rising character lines on the sides), but it still looks tough (power bulges, strong light package and grill, etc.). The author of the C&D article is definitely in the minority on this one.
Although we are owners, we were buyers at one point too. I think I looked at all of the competition and in the end, I just felt the GL met the styling cues my family was looking for. Now, of course, styling is one thing... if the guts of the vehicle weren't up to snuff, then styling wouldn't mean a darn. Glad to see that the GL stacks up very well in that arena too!
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Stumblefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Colorado Rocky Mtns.
Posts: 1,046
Drives: '06 A6 & '08 GL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
Would somebody please get this man a bowl of Cabbage Soup...:-)


I just couldn't resist. Sometimes, a little humor can be just the right medicine.
Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 292
Drives: GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno4x4 View Post
"Whereas lesser GLs look a bit tipsy, nouveau riche, and just sort of ugly"
Thanks Danno. What the F was that comment all about? I am glad the GL got a favorable review but don't really understand how the author loved the 550 and thought the 320/450 was sort of ugly given they are the same car just with alot of bling and 47 horsepower added to the 550. Oh well, I guess I will have to remained thrilled with my tipsy, ugly, wanna be rich GL450.
BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
060, 550, compare, gl, gl550, gl550s, mb, obsidian, produced, reviews, road, speed, test, white, x5



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details