Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by N'AWLINS
STP....yes, I have the tow package. As you and Nevada Jack advise, I'll just keep driving normally and hope that it smooths out!!
I forgot that ADSII (Comfort/Sport) option is not on the 320 or the 450 (without ORP.)
Old 12-28-2007, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by blittle
Hmmmm......Interesting......I have the hitch on my 450 - did that option also involve a different program on the tranny? If so, I don't recall the literature saying anything about it.
Please note the "might" in my sentence. I suppose I was kind of thinking out loud - I have no idea if they reprogram the transmission or if the module they add to the system offers some sort of transmission control on it as well. It would make sense to lil' ol' me that shifting should be done differently with a load in tow, but I don't know if that's actually true.

To quote one of my favorite TV personalities, "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Please note the "might" in my sentence. I suppose I was kind of thinking out loud - I have no idea if they reprogram the transmission or if the module they add to the system offers some sort of transmission control on it as well. It would make sense to lil' ol' me that shifting should be done differently with a load in tow, but I don't know if that's actually true.

To quote one of my favorite TV personalities, "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Yup, did note the "might," my response was one of surprise at something entirely possible!.....one of my previous rides ( GMC Yukon) was equipped with a "tow mode" switch for the trans. Came as part of a "tow package" with the hitch. Far as I know, however, MB just offered the hitch......nothing else involved. HOWEVER....... early on, theMB literature and website talked about the trans. for the GL having "2nd gear startup" and "2nd gear revearse" Both of which do not exist on GLs( I even had a call from MB engineering on that one) so if the hitch package came with a revised trans. program and nowhere do they talk about it.............that would not surprise me!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by blittle
Yup, did note the "might," my response was one of surprise at something entirely possible!.....one of my previous rides ( GMC Yukon) was equipped with a "tow mode" switch for the trans. Came as part of a "tow package" with the hitch. Far as I know, however, MB just offered the hitch......nothing else involved. HOWEVER....... early on, theMB literature and website talked about the trans. for the GL having "2nd gear startup" and "2nd gear revearse" Both of which do not exist on GLs( I even had a call from MB engineering on that one) so if the hitch package came with a revised trans. program and nowhere do they talk about it.............that would not surprise me!
I am almost positive that my 550 starts in 2nd gear unless manually shifted or you floor the accelerator.