GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How does GL compare to comfort,ride and handling of S class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by lkchris
One of the funny things about GLs is that they have particularly small front seats--two inches narrower than our E-class.
I also am going to have to disagree. I don’t know what the measurements are, but the E class seats feel a little cozy to me. And overall, the drivers’ space is definitely tight compared to the GL. Your proportions may vary along with your opinions about seats. I have a 34” waist but am big across the shoulders and upper back. I definitely prefer the freedom of movement I get in the GL while still having good lateral support. Try things out yourself before believing in numbers.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by jaris
And I don't think I'd have the 19" package because I'll spend most of my time driving in NY and I hate the roads there when compared to LA.
I feel your pain. The road surfaces here in California are bad enough. However, I spent the last 10 days driving in NY in an old Toyota occasionally thinking how much nicer it would have been going over that last crater in my GL even with 19’s.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Guys, thanks for your quick response. I will try to get quotes from different dealers this week and post for what I find.

I think the 7 seat is a big plus as I was considering buying a Honda Odyssey before along with the S. I just couldn't convince myself to pull that trigger... Hopefully, with the GL, I can kill two birds in one stone and allow me to open up for a sport coupe option next year.

For the handling of GL, do you guys feel a noticeable difference when compared to a S550 equipped with or without the ABC? Any severe body roll when cornering hard with the GL? Do you guys feel GL450 is underpowered?
The ABC really controls the body roll but the ABC has proven to be very problematic. The GL handles very well with almost no body roll. You will be impressed at how well it handles the road. The GL is night and day compared to a domestic SUV in terms if handling. It really handles like a sport sedan instead of an SUV. The unibody really adds to the handling. It makes a body on frame feel like a horse and buggy.

I have the 19" rims and they are very tough. You still have lots of sidewall with the 19's so don't be afraid of rough roads or potholes.

I'm bumping 6'7" and I can tell you that the GL is very comfortable. The seats are not as comfortable as the S class but they are fine for long trips. However, I sure do miss those cooled and messaging seats from the CL600.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Guys, thanks for your quick response. I will try to get quotes from different dealers this week and post for what I find.

I think the 7 seat is a big plus as I was considering buying a Honda Odyssey before along with the S. I just couldn't convince myself to pull that trigger... Hopefully, with the GL, I can kill two birds in one stone and allow me to open up for a sport coupe option next year.

For the handling of GL, do you guys feel a noticeable difference when compared to a S550 equipped with or without the ABC? Any severe body roll when cornering hard with the GL? Do you guys feel GL450 is underpowered?
The ADSII is only available on the GL550 now or on the GL450 with the Off-Road-Package. In Sport Mode it really is stiff and body roll is not really a problem but even in Normal Mode, it does not roll that much. Without the ADSII, you will not have Comfort or Sport Mode adjustments.

I found ABC was fantastic in the S in not only controlling body roll but also dive and squat. The car always seemed to be riding level.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 PM

E-class and X5
It's really good to hear the ride quality and handling is great for a vehicle with this size and is comparable to S-Class from real user experiences.

Regarding ADSII, I thought it's not available for 2008 GL450 even with off road package? I don't have the brochure with me and I hope I'm wrong so that I can add the off road package on my list and get the ADS altogether. I'd love to have that feature.

So far, I'm thinking about getting a 08 GL450 Obsidian Black on black with P2, bluetooth and running boards. Again, hope the off road package does come with ADSII. Just like what others said, ADSII should be standard equipment for a car like this. I'm also debating on whether to get leather seats or not.

I still hope the dealers will come back with a more attractive lease deal on a GL550. Otherwise, GL450 it is.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
It's really good to hear the ride quality and handling is great for a vehicle with this size and is comparable to S-Class from real user experiences.

Regarding ADSII, I thought it's not available for 2008 GL450 even with off road package? I don't have the brochure with me and I hope I'm wrong so that I can add the off road package on my list and get the ADS altogether. I'd love to have that feature.

So far, I'm thinking about getting a 08 GL450 Obsidian Black on black with P2, bluetooth and running boards. Again, hope the off road package does come with ADSII. Just like what others said, ADSII should be standard equipment for a car like this. I'm also debating on whether to get leather seats or not.

I still hope the dealers will come back with a more attractive lease deal on a GL550. Otherwise, GL450 it is.
You may be right on the ORP not being available for the '08 or perhaps they just deleted it mid-year build?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
For MY'2008:
ADSII is optional on the GL450 with the ORP.
ADSII is n/a on the GL320 CDI because ORP is n/a
ADSII is standard on the GL550
Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I found ABC was fantastic in the S in not only controlling body roll but also dive and squat. The car always seemed to be riding level.
This is really to anybody reading on this thread as much as to you, NJ; has anyone tried Audi's "magnetic ride" on their TT? It sounds a litte like the Bose suspension (the one that was never released).

STP
Old 01-01-2008, 12:13 PM

E-class and X5
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
For MY'2008:
ADSII is optional on the GL450 with the ORP.
ADSII is n/a on the GL320 CDI because ORP is n/a
ADSII is standard on the GL550

Does anyone know how much extra to order the ADSII if I order the GL450 with ORP? I can't find any info on the MB website. thanks in advance.

by the way, I just stopped by a dealer to sit inside both cars (no time for test drive today). Honestly, I like the S550 interior more (more luxurious) and I feel that it's much more spacious in the back seats (I'm 6'3). But the trunk for the S is quite small. It'll be difficult to fit 2 golf bags and other stuff inside.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Does anyone know how much extra to order the ADSII if I order the GL450 with ORP? I can't find any info on the MB website. thanks in advance.
It's included in the price of ORP
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 AM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
by the way, I just stopped by a dealer to sit inside both cars (no time for test drive today). Honestly, I like the S550 interior more (more luxurious) and I feel that it's much more spacious in the back seats (I'm 6'3). But the trunk for the S is quite small. It'll be difficult to fit 2 golf bags and other stuff inside.
That sums it up pretty good. The back seats in the S class rock. Those in the GL are more than adequate though.

I noticed the Audi A8 has these soft pads on the headrests now on 4 seats and the LS600 has them front only. I wonder if S class will go that way eventually.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I think this question depends in the GL had the RUN FLAT tires on it... That makes it ride HARSH. More thoughts on this topic?