GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Beware of rear license plate bolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Ml350
Beware of rear license plate bolts

Not sure if the rear mounting plate for the license plate is the same on the GL as on the ML, but,,, I have a 2008 ml350, and this weekend noticed that the (4) philips head screws that holds the license plate to the stainless steel plate bracket mounted to the tailgate are too long, even with the license plate frame in place. The screws actually contact the painted surface of the lift gate. I took off the license plate, and the stainless steel plate bracket, and sure enough, the screws are marking the paint on the liftgate. I am sure after a time of road vibration, the paint and primer will be gone, and the exposed metal of the lift gate will start to rust. I put 2 stainless steel lock washers under the screw head on each screw, this kept the screw from going in so far, and now it can not hit the lift gate. What happened to the engineers that build these things? if I noticed this, why would it slip by them? If these screws are supplied by the dealership, rather then the factory I can understand the oversight.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
The screws are supplied by the dealers and this is not an uncommon issue. Unfortunately, a few of us have had this experience.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM

2008 C350
I can't stand when dealers do crap like that. If I were you, I would ask the dealer to install some that fit.

The only thing wrong with my bolts it that they rust.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by philip12
Not sure if the rear mounting plate for the license plate is the same on the GL as on the ML, but,,, I have a 2008 ml350, and this weekend noticed that the (4) philips head screws that holds the license plate to the stainless steel plate bracket mounted to the tailgate are too long, even with the license plate frame in place. The screws actually contact the painted surface of the lift gate. I took off the license plate, and the stainless steel plate bracket, and sure enough, the screws are marking the paint on the liftgate. I am sure after a time of road vibration, the paint and primer will be gone, and the exposed metal of the lift gate will start to rust. I put 2 stainless steel lock washers under the screw head on each screw, this kept the screw from going in so far, and now it can not hit the lift gate. What happened to the engineers that build these things? if I noticed this, why would it slip by them? If these screws are supplied by the dealership, rather then the factory I can understand the oversight.
These are usually dealer supplied and they do have at least 2 size screws. I know that FJ's when they put my rear plate on my '06 S430 they tried to use the long one. I was there as the guy was starting and I told him the screw was too long. He looked at me like what do you know. When he persisted to proceed I told him to give me the plate. I took it inside and the salesman opened his drawer and it was full of license plate screws...he picked out 4 short ones and installed the plate himself!

I checked my GL and although I cannot really see behind the plate, there is clearance with a piece of cardboard so I do not have your problem. Also, knowing the dealer I am confident it would not happen.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by philip12
What happened to the engineers that build these things?
Give me a break--this is stupidity at the dealership, nothing more.

The Alabama cars are different than the Euro cars, which could use inch-long screws if necessary.

I suppose the Alabama design is better, as the screws don't penetrate the tailgate like the screws on the cars penetrate the trunk lid.

Last edited by lkchris; 01-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
fmr

GL320
I was installing my plates this friday with new (non-dealer frames) and did notice this. While there is some clearance between end of bolts and body in th erear it seemed the dealer might have applied some pressure when mounting the plate holder and pushed the ends of the bolts into the body leaving an indententation. I was much more aggravated at the front plate holder (required here in NJ) where the dealer seems to have eye balled the installation of the plate holder and screwed 4 screws directly into the bumper one of which was put in at an agle making for a very messy installation. Any change will now require filling in the hole and paint work. I am very picky about these things and its really annoying when dealer does not take the time to do these things right. Unfortunately there is no going back.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by fmr
I was installing my plates this friday with new (non-dealer frames) and did notice this. While there is some clearance between end of bolts and body in th erear it seemed the dealer might have applied some pressure when mounting the plate holder and pushed the ends of the bolts into the body leaving an indententation. I was much more aggravated at the front plate holder (required here in NJ) where the dealer seems to have eye balled the installation of the plate holder and screwed 4 screws directly into the bumper one of which was put in at an agle making for a very messy installation. Any change will now require filling in the hole and paint work. I am very picky about these things and its really annoying when dealer does not take the time to do these things right. Unfortunately there is no going back.
I sympathize with you. My dealer did not install my plates since they are 3 hours away. I did it myself and wasn't crazy about drilling holes in the front bumper. They said they didn't install the bracket because some people choose to run without it, illegally here I might add.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 AM
fmr

GL320
did not have the choice

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
I sympathize with you. My dealer did not install my plates since they are 3 hours away. I did it myself and wasn't crazy about drilling holes in the front bumper. They said they didn't install the bracket because some people choose to run without it, illegally here I might add.
On a few of my previous cars I have asked the dealer not to install the front plate holder to keep the bumper very pristine, illegal here as well. However on the GL it was at the dealer and already had the plate holder installed. Looking at the install after the fact seems like the dealer did not even bother to predrill the holes, they just screwed the screws right into the bumper letting the screws do the work. Oh well, just need to try and forget it as hopefully I will not have to touch the plates any more.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM

2008 GL320
We told the dealer NOT to install license plate frames and they were not on while we went over the car. Somehow, the rear got installed before we drove away...

All four screws were too long and marked the paint! Photo showing after we took the stainless bracket off.
Attached Thumbnails Beware of rear license plate bolts-p4240054.jpg  
Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 PM

2008 GL320CDI
Wow, I'm just walking back into my office after a trip to the dealer for this very problem. I found the same problem on my new GL this weekend All four screws have drilled their way right through the bloody paint. I replaced them with shorter socket-head stainless screws.

I have to agree with lkchris - this is pure stupidity on the installer's part. I cannot imagine doing this without noticing the screws were fouling on the car body. Inexcusable.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320cdi
After reading this thread, I went out to look at my plate and sure enough I have screws that are too long. I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and the rear plate was swapped by the salesman while I was filling out paper work. Back to the dealer for touch-up paint!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by bselph
After reading this thread, I went out to look at my plate and sure enough I have screws that are too long. I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and the rear plate was swapped by the salesman while I was filling out paper work. Back to the dealer for touch-up paint!

Show it to your sales person - they should COMP you the touch up paint .
Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MKW
Show it to your sales person - they should COMP you the touch up paint .
IMHO, they should COMP professional paint restoration services, as "touch up paint" will hardly equal what was paid for and damaged by them.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 PM

2008 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
IMHO, they should COMP professional paint restoration services, as "touch up paint" will hardly equal what was paid for and damaged by them.
That's what my dealer will be doing, but they don't know it yet.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

OTOH, I'd rather just touch up those four tiny basically hidden "points " myself . You know how it goes , body shop will have to spray a wide area and there could be paint overspray, the hatch's release latch won't feel the same after they remove and reinstall it, the paint won't match when you look critically at it from the side ....but the shop guy will say it's fine and they're done .

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by MKW
OTOH, I'd rather just touch up those four tiny basically hidden "points " myself . You know how it goes , body shop will have to spray a wide area and there could be paint overspray, the hatch's release latch won't feel the same after they remove and reinstall it, the paint won't match when you look critically at it from the side ....but the shop guy will say it's fine and they're done .

Amen!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MKW
Or, they could apply a small amount of paint (like touchup paint) in just the areas it's needed, do a quick micro-color-sand, buff it, clearcoat it, buff the clearcoat, and then be done, without removing a thing.

Years ago, my first Lexus was an SC400, Barolo Red (I think they called it - a magnificent metallic deep red, almost an oxblood color they no longer carry). When I got it, there were swirl marks all over the car. I argued for some time about the fact that I wanted what I paid for, a new car with proper paint. At one point, the district manager met me at the service drive and said, "What do you want me to do to make the paint right?" My response should have been, "I really don't care what you do to make it right, other than giving me the car I paid for with the paint I paid for." Instead, I whimped out and told them to detail it and try and get the swirls out.

I'm not a paint expert, but was much less so then, so how the heck would I know what would make the paint right? I defer to experts. I don't apply "touch up" paint because no matter what I do it looks like white-out on the car.

STP
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 PM

2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
Hate to bring this thread back but unfortunately I have this problem on my c300.

Two incorrect, non-oem screws installed on the rear when I bought the car went straight through the trunk lid.

My dealer has agreed to fix it, but I'm just curious as to how others have approached the repair.

Did you have your trunk lids repainted or was it a bit more simple of a fix like a spot repair?

Unbelievable that this stuff can happen!

Last edited by oaybar007; 03-24-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
To the op. You can't recognize a good thing when you see it- can you

Be thankful to the piston gods that you were able to remove the screws without spinning the junky backing plates in the trunk lid. When that happens- you have to tear apart the trunk lid.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:21 PM

2010 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by oaybar007
Hate to bring this thread back but unfortunately I have this problem on my c300.

Two incorrect, non-oem screws installed on the rear when I bought the car went straight through the trunk lid.

Unbelievable that this stuff can happen!
I purchased my Quartz Blue '10 C300 4Matic (with 18,200 miles on the clock) on May 15, from a Subaru dealer, and someone had installed SELF-TAPPING screws to secure the dealer plate frames to the car!!!!

So, will someone please confirm complete specifications for the front and rear license plate fasteners?

Thank you!