Folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Folding mirrors

My GL folds the mirrors in each time you lock the it, although you can change this default setting. I'm curious - do most folks leave this setting as is? Unless you park on narrow streets a lot, what's the point of having the mirrors fold in each time you lock the car? Am I missing something?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm used to cars who chirp when I lock the vehicle as I'm walking away. I miss the chirp, but have glanced back several times to see if the mirrors were folding in to know I locked the truck.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
I am used to the fold from our S550. For me, it's a confirmation of the lock mechanism. I had been under the impression the lock & fold on the GL was similar to the S class where there is also an audible signal in addition to the fold. Additionally, I also had expected an audible signal when shifting from (D)rive to (P)ark.

Anyone with a 2007 GL have audible feedback of locking mechanism or shifting to or from park?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Yes, my '07 GL450 'dings' when I put the transmission in park. I've gotten used to hearing that and would miss it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
You can get the dealer to change a setting with Star Diagnostics so that when you lock the car it also chirps.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
chirp

Is that a fact ? First time I am hearing that dealer can change it to chirp while locking.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
You can get the dealer to change a setting with Star Diagnostics so that when you lock the car it also chirps.
I was told, "We'll look for it, but most folks want it to not chirp." They never got back to me (Phoenix Motor Company).
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
My GL folds the mirrors in each time you lock the it, although you can change this default setting. I'm curious - do most folks leave this setting as is? Unless you park on narrow streets a lot, what's the point of having the mirrors fold in each time you lock the car? Am I missing something?
I agree , only good for narrow streets. Our service advisor strongly recommends turining off this feature as it just causes more wear and tear on the mechanism. When you lock the car, both front and rear lights blink to let you know it is locked.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Originally Posted by infamily
I agree , only good for narrow streets. Our service advisor strongly recommends turining off this feature as it just causes more wear and tear on the mechanism. When you lock the car, both front and rear lights blink to let you know it is locked.
I have used the fold feature for years and never had a problem with the mirror motors. On my old S 430, it functioned for over 3 years without a hitch, and on my GL, we're going on two years. I too use it as a confirmation that I locked the vehicle. I just look back from a distance and can tell right away. On my CLK, which just blinks the lights when locked, I have to walk all the way back to it to verify that I locked it if I forget to look at the blinking lights. I would tend to disagree with the service advisor's opinion on this matter and encourage you to just leave it as is. BTW, I find the chirp annoying and I'm on the fence when it comes to the Park "ding." My GL does it. My CL doesn't. So far neither has rolled down a hill...not that we have any in Miami .
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I was told, "We'll look for it, but most folks want it to not chirp." They never got back to me (Phoenix Motor Company).
Its a crock of ****. I have seen many people re-activate the chirp feature. I dont have time to look and see if the car has locked by waiting for it to flash the lights. The chirp can be done, try a new dealer.

I had them make sure it was activated before I took delivery.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its a crock of ****. I have seen many people re-activate the chirp feature. I dont have time to look and see if the car has locked by waiting for it to flash the lights. The chirp can be done, try a new dealer.
I just haven't asked the new dealer yet. It took about three things to make me change over permanantly, the last was when they couldn't remove the shimmy in the front end that was due entirely to out of balance tires, with the same multi-thousand-dollar machine that all the MB dealers around here have.

Thanks for the advice, we're on the same wavelength there.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 PM

'08 GL 320CDI

I had them make sure it was activated before I took delivery.
I had my vehicle in yesterday, and they could not locate a setting or any other way to acivate a "chirp". I showed them a copy of the comments from this forum to show that it evidently, can be done, but no luck. Other than trying another dealer, is there any other info you might know of, on how your dealer was able to activate this? Thanks. BTW, this is a big dealership in Dallas that does have a lot of knowhow.......................maybe just not enough.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I will ask the stealer next time I am there and pass it onto the forum. You do have the auto fold option set for the mirrors correct?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 PM

06 CLS500
I live in Texas, where everyone drives a 7,000 SUV or 4 door truck. if you don't fold your mirrors in, some fat-*** will try to walk between your mirrors and the "18 wheeler" mirrors next to you and knock your mirror off.

Plus, it looks cool.

Mine doesnt chirp, nor do I want it to. you can always glance at any one of the 4 corners of the truck and see the lights flashing to confirm your locking the doors (or unlocking). Mirrors fold out when you open the door.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
I will ask the stealer next time I am there and pass it onto the forum. You do have the auto fold option set for the mirrors correct?
Thanks. I'll look forward to hearing how your dealer activated the chirp. Yes, I do have the mirrors set to fold in when I lock the vehicle. Overall, I like that feature, but sometimes I wonder if some wise guy may come along and try to knock one off out of spite and just to be mean..., you know, someone who has to get his kicks out damaging a fancy vehicle.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
I live in Texas, where everyone drives a 7,000 SUV or 4 door truck. if you don't fold your mirrors in, some fat-*** will try to walk between your mirrors and the "18 wheeler" mirrors next to you and knock your mirror off.

Plus, it looks cool.

Mine doesnt chirp, nor do I want it to. you can always glance at any one of the 4 corners of the truck and see the lights flashing to confirm your locking the doors (or unlocking). Mirrors fold out when you open the door.
Yes. They should press the mirrors in after parked.

I like your Submariner. I have a similar one (something Master II) with the red and black rim. Very accurate and cool.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
I have mine folded in too. The thought that using them on a $65K plus car might wear them out is laughable. Same should hold true for the fold down back seat then? And the lcd screen opening to change a cd, etc. etc.

Folding them in reminds me I have a special vehicle, and I hope others notice too just before they open their huge car door into mine...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM

Wife - E300; GL320 - Sand Biege; Me - F150
Had our GL in for the 3K mile checkup (on a Saturday) and asked to have the chirp activated. Service Rep who did the service was not familiar with the activation process so the chirp was not activated; he said he would follow up with the other reps to understand how it could be done (Saturday's servicing only has a skeleton crew in). Got a call on Monday, asking me to bring the GL in to get the chirp activated.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jhcicco
Got a call on Monday, asking me to bring the GL in to get the chirp activated.
... aaaaaaaaaaand? Was it?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I'm used to cars who chirp when I lock the vehicle as I'm walking away. I miss the chirp, but have glanced back several times to see if the mirrors were folding in to know I locked the truck.
Me too!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
fmr

GL320
Chirp -- My 08 does not chirp and prefer it that way. Have owned lot's of BMW's in the past and always asked for the no chirp option.

When getting a BMW there is a check list of items the dealer can customize for you (eg. chirp/no chirp, daytime running lights vs not, door locks down after x miles per hr, etc.), there is a form the sales rep fills out with the customer. Does MB have something similar? Seems like what some members are describing above should be a standard procedure dealer would follow at pick up to customize settings.

Folding mirrors -- mine do not fold automatically, but I have tried it by pressing the button. Similar feature to my BMW M5. The experiece with the M5 mirrors is that you would not want them to fold all the time as there are reported issues with the motors burning out, not sure if the same will apply to MB.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fmr
When getting a BMW there is a check list of items the dealer can customize for you (eg. chirp/no chirp, daytime running lights vs not, door locks down after x miles per hr, etc.), there is a form the sales rep fills out with the customer. Does MB have something similar? Seems like what some members are describing above should be a standard procedure dealer would follow at pick up to customize settings.

Folding mirrors -- mine do not fold automatically, but I have tried it by pressing the button. Similar feature to my BMW M5. The experiece with the M5 mirrors is that you would not want them to fold all the time as there are reported issues with the motors burning out, not sure if the same will apply to MB.
Many ... several ... uh ... some of the options are user-settable in the "Settings" screen on the center display. Things like day-time running lights, auto door lock (I think), steering wheel convenience (moves out of the way when the key's removed or engine shut off for keyless-go), that kind of thing. But not the chirrup.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by fmr
Chirp --

This option can be turned on from the "setting" screen. check your user manual for details.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After spending a little time topping off the oil today at my second dealer (since I purchased the GL, that is) they said they checked with the laptop and couldn't find the option in the "rear sandwich" (?) so if you could find out from your guy where the option is ... ?

STP
Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jhcicco
Got a call on Monday, asking me to bring the GL in to get the chirp activated.
Still waiting for an answer if they did it?

STP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Folding mirrors