Tailgate issue finally resolved?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Tailgate issue finally resolved?

For a long time I've had the same issue many others have experienced with the tailgate not being pulled closed the last half inch or so by the electric motor. This was happening about 30% of the time, more so in cold weather. At my last visit, the dealer replaced the latch (a last resort I'm told, after trying several times to correct the problem), but this actually made it worse.

When I told them this during the follow up courtesy call, to his credit my SA insisted I bring it back or he'd send a tech out to look at it. I stopped by and this time they were able to adjust the latch, which now seems to be working properly.

The tech came out to discuss this with me. Apparently, the metal latch in front of the loading area can be adjusted forward or backward and must be EXACTLY placed so that it activates the closing mechanism each time. The mechanism in the tailgate itself has 3 positions, and if the latch isn't perfectly aligned it will not activate the motor. The tech said that cold weather or even being parked on an incline can affect this, and every GL is slightly different, so it's a trial and error process to get it right each time. Just thought I'd pass this on.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
For a long time I've had the same issue many others have experienced with the tailgate not being pulled closed the last half inch or so by the electric motor. This was happening about 30% of the time, more so in cold weather. At my last visit, the dealer replaced the latch (a last resort I'm told, after trying several times to correct the problem), but this actually made it worse.

When I told them this during the follow up courtesy call, to his credit my SA insisted I bring it back or he'd send a tech out to look at it. I stopped by and this time they were able to adjust the latch, which now seems to be working properly.

The tech came out to discuss this with me. Apparently, the metal latch in front of the loading area can be adjusted forward or backward and must be EXACTLY placed so that it activates the closing mechanism each time. The mechanism in the tailgate itself has 3 positions, and if the latch isn't perfectly aligned it will not activate the motor. The tech said that cold weather or even being parked on an incline can affect this, and every GL is slightly different, so it's a trial and error process to get it right each time. Just thought I'd pass this on.
got an ml500 and I've had the trunk latch replaced 4times now and I still have the same issues plus I keep getting loud creak and knocking sounds when the trunk is in motion and the dealer replaced the entire lift gate one month ago been told by the dealer I can try to get the car replaced under the lemon law which I think I'm going to do
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Cold weather definitely affects it - closing hatch only activates the motor once in 2 tries when I'm up at our Tahoe place in Winter. Almost never happens back in the Bay Area. I suspect the cold causes the rubber gaskets around the hatch to stiffen just enough for the gate to be off by a mm or two at it's " receiving " position.
Problem is, if latch plate is readjusted sl "outwards " for cold weather, will it now be in " wrong " postion in warmer weather ?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Had my GL in for service yesterday and had my liftgage fixed as part of the process (round three for me). My service advisor told me that MB put out an instructional DVD specific to this problem and how to fix it properly. He told me all service people had to watch it. Maybe its fixed for real this time around. One can only hope....