GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 320 cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 gl 320 CDI
When they towed my car in to the dealer, they also fixed the tailgate, again. This was the 3rd or 4th attempt at a fix. It has worked well since and I have had no starting problems, so I hope it was done correctly. It is a good possibility that the tailgate drained the battery.

In any case I have used the anti-gel additive just in case on very cold days.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:26 AM

GL 320
Unhappy

Originally Posted by berybak
I have finally got word from my MB service department regarding the mysterious "no starts". They received this information after hounding MB Head Office:

1) APPARENTLY the rear tailgate latch mechanism is the only component in the GL that does not automticatlly shut-off after the engine has been shut down (unlike the headlights, radio etc.) If after the engine is shut off the tail gate mechanism has not latched properly it will continue to try to latch until the battery runs out...resulting in a a no-start.

2) The GL's tailgate latch mechanism has a specific "fix" which MB service technicians may not know about. The "fix" is acompanied by a german video which shows technicians how to perform it (our technicians were sure they were fixing the latch properly until they saw the video). Your service dept must ask for this specifically from MB head office...the information plus the video about the "fix"

3) Once this "fix" is performed it should solve the rear tailgate latch issues AND the no-start problem.

After several weeks of being in and out of the service department to address this issue I am hopeful that this is the final answer to the mysterious no-starts. If it is not the solution, however, I may be asking them to take my GL back. Yup-that's how frustrated I am.
Well , it happened with me too on GL 320 CDI 2008 year . Same symptoms , even its a summer , wont start at all . Checked glow plugs ,fuel pressure , was in dealer shop , computer doesn't show any problems . Tailgate latch was replaced. When hot , starting immediately , cold - just cranking . Any suggestion please ?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by La_piovra
Well , it happened with me too on GL 320 CDI 2008 year . Same symptoms , even its a summer , wont start at all . Checked glow plugs ,fuel pressure , was in dealer shop , computer doesn't show any problems . Tailgate latch was replaced. When hot , starting immediately , cold - just cranking . Any suggestion please ?
glow plug controller? when it fails it doesnt show on any test, but will result in prolonged cold weather cranking and delayed or sometimes no start.

they do fail on a regular basis especially if the original (outdated) part .. new part was designed and available post 2013.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM

GL 320
Thank you . Tommorrow will change and probably this is the reason only
Old 07-05-2016, 01:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Test it first. When engine is cold (and outside preferably is cold too) turn ignition key to position two but don't start engine. Wait couple seconds then turn truck off and then start engine. If it starts quickly - it is your glow plug controller. If not- you have another problem.