GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Modify cigarette plug to be on all the time.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Modify cigarette plug to be on all the time.

For those of you that would like to have your cigarette lighter plug powered on even with the key out, here is a quick fix. Stop by your local autoparts store and get an add-a-circuit. The cigarette lighter fuse is number 46 on the rear fuse panel. The fuse to the right of that is hot all of the time. You simply pull the fuse to the right and stick it into the bottom socket on the add-a-circuit and put the fuse for the cigarette lighter in the top socket. Add a small spade lug to the pig tail on the add-a-circuit and put it into the TOP lug receptacle of the circuit for the cigarette lighter. Your cigarette lighter is now powered on all the time and you can then use it to charge your cell phone while you are away from your car. Simply pull the add-a-circuit and replace the fuses back into the fuse block if you ever want to disable this feature.

Reb
Attached Thumbnails Modify cigarette plug to be on all the time.-mbfuseblock.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Reb, you know there's a plug underneath the glove box (at least on mine there is!) that stays hot for a while after you remove the key, yes? Kent can back me up/correct me on this, but I believe it stays hot until there has been a certain amount of drain on the battery? Just sayin', that's perhaps a bit less involved than throwing fuses and add-a-circuits on, and makes sure if the battery's a little low for some reason that you don't drain it below starting requirements by leaving something plugged in.

-STP
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM

GL450
I did not know that. I will check it out. I thought that it went off after you locked the doors.

Reb
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Reb, you know there's a plug underneath the glove box (at least on mine there is!) that stays hot for a while after you remove the key, yes? Kent can back me up/correct me on this, but I believe it stays hot until there has been a certain amount of drain on the battery? Just sayin', that's perhaps a bit less involved than throwing fuses and add-a-circuits on, and makes sure if the battery's a little low for some reason that you don't drain it below starting requirements by leaving something plugged in.

-STP
I was going to say that when I saw the post, but, I figured meh, he's probably figured that the one in the footwell stays on, just wants to do some Pep Boys wiring, and have the ashtray stay hot for whatever reason. FYI, the one in the cargo compartment (if you have it) stays hot for quite a while too...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
Yes, indeed, the power plug under the glove box stays on to charge your cell phone all the time, but the plug for the ashtray goes off when the car is shut down. Came in handy recently for me...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by captivabenz
Yes, indeed, the power plug under the glove box stays on to charge your cell phone all the time, but the plug for the ashtray goes off when the car is shut down. Came in handy recently for me...
There is a plug under the glove box? Didn't know that but I've also never really sat in the passenger seat. Is this for all model years?