GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth Streaming????

Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
OK just ordered a Coolstream. Will let you know how it works out ...
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 PM

2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Franman
OK just ordered a Coolstream. Will let you know how it works out ...
So far it's a bust. Followed pairing instructions and phone says "can't communicate with coolstream. Emailed them for support
Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

2009 GL550
So far it's a bust. Followed pairing instructions and phone says "can't communicate with coolstream. Emailed them for support
Well - good try Coolstream, but utter fail.

After not being able to pair to my Droid RAZR MAXX in my 2009 GL550 I tried to pair it to my wifes HTC Incredible thinking maybe it was my phone. Nope, same error message. My COMAND screen also showed "Device Incompatible" when I switched to the Media Interface input.

Decided to try the Coolstream device on an iHome radio I have in my bedroom to make sure the device wasnt defective and VOILA - it worked as advertised! Able to pair to both the RAZR and the Incredible and stream music seamlessly. So why will it work on that radio but not my vehicle?

The 3rd thing I tried to use it on was my Yamaha iPod Dock connected to my Yamaha home receiver. I thought for $29 I would at least hang on to it for no other reason then to stream spotify through my home surround sound system for parties, etc. As soon as I connected the Coolstream to the Dock it shut my receiver off (shorted it out?) I was able to turn it back on but it never streamed music. Unpaired it from my phone and re-established the connection - made sure my input was set to DOCK, volume was up, etc - but no streaming. The sound just came out of my phone.

Only kudos I give is to their customer service for emailing me back and forth a few times on a Saturday afternoon - but the device isn't as compatible as they make it out to be!

Printing out amazon.com return label as we speak.
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Streaming????-imag0065.jpg   Bluetooth Streaming????-imag0064.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4matic
Coolstream bluetooth adapter.

Just got the coolstream device for my 08 E350 and love it. Pairing was no problem as long as the engine is running and the voltage is above 11.5 vdc. The device has eliminated the problem of my phone losing its charge when hooked direct to the car. Now I have the phone handy in the console, charging and I am able to select and change music inputs without opening the glove box. I highly recommend this device, you have as much variety in music as you would with a Sirius radio contract and no annual renewal costs.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 AM

2010 GL450
I tried the ML-D100 Music Link adapter that I saw in some other posts and it didn't work in my GL and it looks like the CoolStream doesn't work in GL's either.

So what did work for me is the CableJive dockBoss+ (must be the +plus version) and a Blackberry Music Gateway (though any similar bluetooth adapter should work).

CableJive dockBoss+
Amazon Amazon

Blackberry Music Gateway
http://store.shopblackberry.com/Prod.../ACC-41596-001

I have the ipod music interface cable that also has the standard aux line-in. I connected the dockBoss+ to the ipod interface and use that to power the micro-usb on the music gateway. I connected the audio out on the music gateway to the aux-in. Choose audio-> AUX on the comand and I'm bluetooth streaming whatever I want from my phone. The unit turns on/off with the truck so I never have to open the glove box after it's all connected.

I did try to connect the audio out on the music gateway to the dockBoss+ audio plug but I get the "device incompatible" error.

I think this set-up works fine because the ipod connector is solely being used for power and the audio travels over the AUX, which doesn't care what's connected.

The comand screen is the standard blank AUX input screen, and you have to use you phone for all controls. Also this does not interfere with my phone's standard BT comand connection at all.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 AM

2009 GL550
Sounds great if you have a Blackberry, but sure would be nice to have something that streamed Android devices.

I have recently rented a Ford Escape and a Toyota Camry and both seamlessly streamed my Spotify from my Android phone through the car stereo as a built in option. Sad that my $80,000 GL550 has Bluetooth capability yet I can't stream music through my phone. Boo German "engineering".

Originally Posted by cranky1
I tried the ML-D100 Music Link adapter that I saw in some other posts and it didn't work in my GL and it looks like the CoolStream doesn't work in GL's either.

So what did work for me is the CableJive dockBoss+ (must be the +plus version) and a Blackberry Music Gateway (though any similar bluetooth adapter should work).

CableJive dockBoss+
http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dock.../dp/B0065JUZT6

Blackberry Music Gateway
http://store.shopblackberry.com/Prod.../ACC-41596-001

I have the ipod music interface cable that also has the standard aux line-in. I connected the dockBoss+ to the ipod interface and use that to power the micro-usb on the music gateway. I connected the audio out on the music gateway to the aux-in. Choose audio-> AUX on the comand and I'm bluetooth streaming whatever I want from my phone. The unit turns on/off with the truck so I never have to open the glove box after it's all connected.

I did try to connect the audio out on the music gateway to the dockBoss+ audio plug but I get the "device incompatible" error.

I think this set-up works fine because the ipod connector is solely being used for power and the audio travels over the AUX, which doesn't care what's connected.

The comand screen is the standard blank AUX input screen, and you have to use you phone for all controls. Also this does not interfere with my phone's standard BT comand connection at all.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 AM

2010 GL450
Never owned a Blackberry, I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1. Doesn't get more Android than that.

The Blackberry music gateway is just a bluetooth streamer that works with any phone/music player with A2DP stereo bluetooth. Anything similar would work too, this is just what I happened to have at the time I put it all together.

Sounds great if you have a Blackberry, but sure would be nice to have something that streamed Android devices.

I have recently rented a Ford Escape and a Toyota Camry and both seamlessly streamed my Spotify from my Android phone through the car stereo as a built in option. Sad that my $80,000 GL550 has Bluetooth capability yet I can't stream music through my phone. Boo German "engineering".

Last edited by cranky1; 09-20-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 PM

M350 W2
Mercedes Blue tooth and navigation is brain dead

Yesterday I traded in my 2011 Infiniti M37 for a 2012 GL450. I had many Mercedes, many models in the past and love the way they drive. I need an SUV and I love the way this one drives. This one is beautiful and is everything I expect in a 1979 year car (yes: 1979). The electronics are 'brain dead' (my opinion) I have had 3 Infiniti's and 2 Escalades. All connected to several different brand android phones easily to stream music, etc. The navigation was great. Touch screens made selections and entry thru menus easy and intuitive. This $80K+ GL450 can't do it. It has a wire that I have to hang out of the glove box and attach an extension wire to plug into my phone. Great! When someone is riding in the right seat, I have to warn them not to bother the wire hanging out of the glove box of this classy car. I do my best to find the humor in an absurd situation. This is what I get for $80K? Don't get me started on the Navigation. It is worse. It took 1 hour to enter 4 destinations. The voice recognition is close to worthless. Can't they license something from Dragon (something that works). This stupid thing will only store an address to Home or Work. You have to press a button a dozen times to find the place to save with no name. If you want to save with a name, you have to press a button 100 times to scroll through the alphabet and numbers (voice recognition does not work for many common functions you need). This is worse than a TI calculator I had in the 1970's. This is not what a Mercedes owner deserves and expects when they pay the price and if they have had a modern car. This car is beautiful and runs and drives great as expected, but this is the end of 2012. Life is more than a comfortable ride and an FM radio. I had that with my 1971 SL and my 1976 240D and my 1988 SEL and others. Back then I did not have a cell phone with Pandora or navigation. Today I want more than a FM radio. I am not 18 and I don't care about the engine as long as it is reliable.

Get with it. Don't you have any engineers who know how to program a touch screen and design a working menu that a human can operate?

I asked the dealer why Mercedes does not have a touch screen like all the other cars I have tested. He said the reason is 'safety'. Really? Pressing a button a hundred times to scroll thru poorly designed menus is safer? Get serious. The electronics on this thing are a joke and are not worthy of the Mercedes name.

Another comment: Do you know how hard it is to find a Mercedes with ventilated seats? I live in Las Vegas. I have not seen any other cars that did not have at least that feature. For some reason push button start/stop is not common. Once you live without fishing for keys you will never go back. All Infiniti’s have had these features for years.

Another comment about the seat adjustment: Why is it not on the door like other Mercedes models? This is the most expensive SUV. To save the settings for the driver, the buttons are not visible. You have to stop and open the door to save the settings. Crazy!

I am very disappointed. It is my fault for assuming that Mercedes would be up to date and have the best of everything. In my defense I have not had one since 1992 and it was great back then. This car must not have had any outside user input to the design. They are obviously living in the past. When people experience a modern car, Mercedes sales will decline unless they update things. You can bet I will look more closely before buying another one. I will post more comments here as I get some miles on this car.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL350 - 2007 S550 - 2006 CLK 350 Cab - 2006 E350 4Matic - 2005 SL600 - Old Jeep
Amen!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
You don't have to open the door to save the settings.

Retrofit ventilated seats.

I hate touchscreens. With physical buttons I can continue to look when I'm driving and don't have to be distracted finding where the imaginary button is. There's no affordance.

Trade your car back for another Escalade.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Trade it in and get another Escalade with 1979 pickup truck suspension... Or, go to your dealer and ask about the Media Interface Plus adaptor that plugs in the iPod socket in the glove compartment. It adds the Bluetooth streaming functionality you are looking for.

Regarding everything else, the owners manual is your friend. If you spend an hour, you will see that the voice activation works very well. You just need to learn a few basic commands. I agree you don't need to have door open to move seat or save. It becomes second nature.

As far as touch screen, the Germans for whatever reason are against them. Even the new 2013 GL redesigned model does not have touch screen.(also see bmw, Porsche and VW, - I believe only Audi has touch screens on one model). No big deal, it works quite well although at first there is a learning curve. Regarding options, you can always order a new one just the way you want it.

Buyer's remorse can drive a person mad so if you are so dissatisfied, get rid of the thing...

Last edited by aggst1; 12-21-2012 at 09:16 PM.