GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Window Switch snapped off on my GL!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261810928747?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gl 450
same thing happened to all four of my window levers

I just carefully, with some fiddling, fit them back into position and they all work fine but if I touch them just wrong they will tend to dislodge if I'm not careful.

I've seen the new panel on Ebay for about $120, I think, and it is an easy install. I'll let the next owner deal with it.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl450
How to fix a broken window button on a Mercedes gl450

I created this video and it will help you. I had the problem too when my wife had the button break. Enjoy!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
I see there are Made in China window switch panels on Ebay. About $50. Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Left-Fro...s/281911064789
Old 07-25-2018, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Just did this, after living with a broken switch for about two years. Thank you MLHOM for the tutorial. Excellent tip about supporting the door panel once you get it off.

Tips for anyone attempting this:

The two bolts holding the door panel on are torx.

You don't need to remove the insulating blanket. Just reach in with a super long hex extension and unscrew the two smaller torx holding the switch panel in. Use a magnetic bit so the screws don't fall away into oblivion between the blanket and the door panel.

Take the top seal and put it on the metal of the door first; lubricate the inside of the seal (where it meets the door panel) with silicone spray so it will accept the door panel more easily. It's a bit of muscle work, but you can get the door panel back on. You pretty much just push it straight on. We used a pry bar to support the door frame when pushing the panel against it. Roll the window down.

The Ebay Chinesium switch panel seems to work fine. Lights up and everything.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
i was thinking about purchasing the Cheap one as well.. my "Window Lock Button" is Stuck Down..
i see that REAR Vent window Button is Different on some Switches
Old 06-29-2019, 08:37 AM

GL 450 CDI
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
i was thinking about purchasing the Cheap one as well.. my "Window Lock Button" is Stuck Down..
i see that REAR Vent window Button is Different on some Switches
Its a bit late at this point, but it should be noted here for ref.
Mercedes windows lock buttons are the worst. The valet folks break one every so often. The buttons are weak, thin and flimsy, to take one out you have to be careful and gentle, even then there is a big chance that you will break one, if you don't know how exactly to remove or press one in. Its a bit of a shame really for Daimler.
People tend to use more force then necessary it is normal, not all vehicle are the same and inevitably break one now and then.
The problem is to look for them and where.
However, that is not only all. Not all buttons are the same, the newer buttons on ebay and elsewhere are curved. Mine has the older straight button, which are difficult to find except from one supplier in Turkey and cost the same as a new switch from Alibaba.
The main difference is the way they are molded to your finger when pushing up. The older ones are straight and button is bit larger, while the newer ones are a bit smaller and curved on one side to fit your finger and there is a left and right.
They definitely won't fit on this window switch A251 820 0510 on my vehicle. This means the curved buttons will not fit onto the rear window switch and also not on the front passenger switch of the older 2010 x164 models, but will fit onto the master drivers switch.
Odd I think. Someone please correct me if my observation is incorrect.
The best place to buy the buttons and switches is on Alibaba, they are cheap and they all look the same and if they do break, then buy them again. They were so cheap I bought extra and found out they don't all fit. You can find a window switch for $10 and below, I would replace the whole switch.
I hope to have helped
Old 04-30-2023, 12:25 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI
I have a same problem. Now the button is missing, I see some knockoffs on Amazon, should I buy that?.

Originally Posted by brimclau
I have 2007 GL450 and was wondering if anyone else has had any of the window toggle switches on the driver-side door "snap" off. My wife was gently pulling up on the rear driver-side window switch and it broke off and of course now does not operate.

Below is a pic of the panel, the switch that broke is #4.

If so, anyone been able to order the part and replace themselves? Seems like a very simple part but looks can always be deceiving.

Thanks all
Old 04-30-2023, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Imtiaz Kiani
I have a same problem. Now the button is missing, I see some knockoffs on Amazon, should I buy that?.
No! The window switch is a little computer - MB loves putting computers everywhere - and the cheapo item I installed not only failed early but may have been responsible for frying other door electronics.

There are (apparently) good ones on Rock Auto and FCP Euro.

Make sure to get one that matches your trim level. I did not notice that the one I installed was missing the manual fold-in for my outside mirrors.