GL Rear fog lamp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
GL Rear fog lamp

Hi all,
Does anyone know the reason why the GL model has only 1 rear fog lamp on the driver side and not on the passenger side? I can't get a logical answer from the dealership & MBUSA.
Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
It's a European thing - when backing in fog, the most important part of the road to see is the left rear (if the drivers side is on the left as in the US). It is also the most important part of the car to have illumination in order to be seen if someone is approaching from the rear since the left side sticks out most into the travel lane.
The opposite holds of course if you are in Britain or Australia.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM

2011 GL 350-Lighting Pkg-P2-Parktronic-Blind spot assist-Heated everything-Running brds ,etc
Beats me as to why they skimped on cost to add another one ... probably suggested by a half-wit bean counter!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 PM

11 GL350 BT | 11 E350 Estate
Fourdiesel might have a point with his explanation. My thought would be that if you have rear fog lights on both sides then you would confuse drivers from behind into thinking you are braking but infact you are not. Just a safety thing. Besides, the rear fog lamps are very intensely bright so you don't need two of them. One does the job.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

2011 GL450
Thank you all, your explanation makes more sense than what I was given at the dealership. It seems odd that they even have a bulb in the housing that makes it look like a burned out bulb.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by AmeliaGL
Thank you all, your explanation makes more sense than what I was given at the dealership. It seems odd that they even have a bulb in the housing that makes it look like a burned out bulb.
Reduced complexity - cheaper to offer only two styles of taillights (amber indicators and red indicators) that work globally.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by giffie
Beats me as to why they skimped on cost to add another one ... probably suggested by a half-wit bean counter!
Baloney--one light only is the European standard.

Can you name a German vehicle that comes with two. No, you can't, because there aren't any.

In Europe you'll get flashed if you have this light on when there's no snow/fog happening. It's not a doo dah.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
It's a European thing - when backing in fog, the most important part of the road to see is the left rear (if the drivers side is on the left as in the US). It is also the most important part of the car to have illumination in order to be seen if someone is approaching from the rear since the left side sticks out most into the travel lane.
The opposite holds of course if you are in Britain or Australia.
You are correct.....most cars in Europe are set up that way.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM

X166
Cool

Originally Posted by lkchris

Can you name a German vehicle that comes with two. No, you can't, because there aren't any.

Porsche Cayenne
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I've always read that the standard is only one bulb so that you don't confuse the brighter light for a brake light. If both were illuminated it could be confusing.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
Not German, but the Indian Range Rover and RRS have two rear fog lights.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
From Wikipedia:

Rear fog lamps[edit]

ISO symbol for rear fog lamps[4]
In Europe and other countries adhering to UN Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps", which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be turned on by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candela,[18] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp (brake light).[7] Rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the U.S., however, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.[citation needed]

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[18] This is to maximize the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[18]

Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.[18]
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM

2009 GL 450
Rear Fog "Appears" Burned Out

Originally Posted by sak335
From Wikipedia:

Rear fog lamps[edit]

ISO symbol for rear fog lamps[4]
In Europe and other countries adhering to UN Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps", which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be turned on by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candela,[18] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp (brake light).[7] Rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the U.S., however, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.[citation needed]

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[18] This is to maximize the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[18]

Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.[18]

What about concerns over being stopped by the local or state police? I doubt they will buy the whole "only required in Europe" reasoning. I guess I could pull out the owner's manual and show them where it says it but getting stopped, as we all know, is a hassle.