GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How do I remove GL450 interior door panel -drivers side?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450 2008
How do I remove GL450 interior door panel -drivers side?

Removing door panel intructions please:
What do I need to do to get the interior panel off the drivers side door in a GL so I can look inside and check out the door lock?

Dook lock issue:
The black door lock button (drivers side) only functions manually (up & down) when I'm inside the car. The Keyless Go from the outside unlocks and locks the other three doors but the KG doesn't move the button on the drivers side. Even the lock/ unlock button next to the interior (drivers side) door handle won't unlock the drivers door button.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks from a noobie.. :-)

PS: Other than this issue my GL seems very sure and reliable. I love it! Having fun with it and no reliability issues.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
What year? and is it under warranty? If under warranty have a dealer run a computer diagnostic to see if the keyless go antenna in the door is functioning. You can look at that antenna in the door all day and not be able to tell if it is electrically functioning.

Also http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/s...by_chassis.jsphas a lot of info although you may have to subscribe if you didn't purchase the car new.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM

GL450 2008
It's a 2008 model. Not under warranty now so I'd like to open up the panel to see if there's anything obvious that not right. There is an occasional faint noise in the door when I press the lock unlock button.
I'll go on that website to check for instruction to remove he panel then.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM

GL450 2008
Angry

The KG in the door must be working fine as I can unlock the other three doors by pulling on the drivers handle or by using the key fob button.

When I pull on the outside drivers door handle the other doors unlock and the drivers door black knob inside sometime moves a little, other times nothing but still remains locked. Once I get into the passenger door on the drivers side and pull up the black knob on the drivers door, the drivers door unlocks. All this is manual though. I can't get the black knob in the drivers door to move up or down with the key fob or by pulling the drivers door exterior handle (KG).
or for tha matter if I pull the interior door handle on the drivers door it won't move the black knob up or unlock the door. The black knob only move up or down if I manually do it.

I had an ML270 cdi a few years back that had 'plastic' problems. Anything Mercedes had put in the car made of plastic would be prone to breaking, coming out of alignment, coming unclipped etc. Maybe they're still doing this and the door lock has just slipped a fitting...... I'll find out once I get this panel off I guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GL450, BMW 335i
PM me your email address
Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl 320 cdi
same problem going on with locks

what ended up happening with your door locks?
i have an 07' gl 320cdi that i need to sell and everything has been fixed/replaced and is working perfectly with the exception of the passenger door lock. i too have to manually lock/unlock it and need it fixed prior to selling. mb says their computer shows back driver side door needs new module, yet it is working fine?
don't have tons of $ to spend to get it ready to sell and looking for any suggestions to get door working so car is good to go.
thanks for your reply.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
1) Push the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously and use a pair of pliers to pull out the 'tab' in the center. The switch assembly will come out.
2) Remove the screw behind the door lock switch.
3) Carefully pry off the silver trim below the armrest. It's held in with clips.
4) Remove the screw.
5) Pry off the tweeter triangle. It's held in with clips.
6) Work your way around the edge of the door panel, prying it off. Again, lots of clips.
7) Be careful when you release the door panel; lots of wiring.
8) Disconnect door handle from connecting wire and disconnect all electrical connections.
9) Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
bmiller264 (05-21-2016)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 AM

GL450 2008
Originally Posted by ca/az gl320cdi
what ended up happening with your door locks?
i have an 07' gl 320cdi that i need to sell and everything has been fixed/replaced and is working perfectly with the exception of the passenger door lock. i too have to manually lock/unlock it and need it fixed prior to selling. mb says their computer shows back driver side door needs new module, yet it is working fine?
don't have tons of $ to spend to get it ready to sell and looking for any suggestions to get door working so car is good to go.
thanks for your reply.

I got the panel off eventually. Just the door trim panel mind you. Behind the panel is a big metal plate which would then have needed removal to access the components inside the door - I decided that was too much for me.

To get the panel off I had spent $18 on the Startech site and downloaded loads of information on the door and other things. I then went and ordered a DVD from Star that has ALL repair and maintenance information on for about $75. Best money I'll ever spend on the GL I think. This DVD (for PC) is absolutely a must for anyone who has a GL. It covers all repairs and service instructions for everything on a 2007 GL and mines a 2008. But I'd guess it covers almost everything my GL needs. I've already fixed a nasty wiper blade chattering using the disc rather than but new blades and learned a lot more about the mechanics of this great car.

In the end it was a faulty lock actuator (not the module but the big black box behind the door handle and behind the metal plate) and I had a dealer replace it although if this happens again I would probably do it myself now I have this DVD. The MB dealer by the way was Contemporary Motors in Erie PA (I hope I can mention them here) and they gave great service and even manged to offer help on the price.

They let me see their diagnostic computer codes and fault. Showing the issue. I'd guess if your dealer is plugging in and seeing this module on your back door then that's gong to be the issue. The real challenge for a DIYer is that we don't have these diagnostics to prove exactly what the problem is. I might have opened the panel and not found the problem or chased things that were not broken. Hence the value of using a dealer. The post just after yours shows the method to get the trim panel off. If the module is bust then it's a dealer or DiY if you're brave enough. Probably a little bit more than an hour work at a dealer plus part.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Thank you for the info. Saved me a half a day.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
'98 E320 and '08 GL320
I need to get into my door, as it sounds like it has busted window class rattling around in it, and I would like to vacuum it out. Is there any access to the interior of the door, or does the "plate" you described forbid it?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
question Gents... on a 08 GL550 all doors and trunk work by touching the handles EXCEPT the drivers door. its does lock and unlock manually just not by TOUCHING it with the keyless go feature.

What could this be?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Hfdafhx
question Gents... on a 08 GL550 all doors and trunk work by touching the handles EXCEPT the drivers door. its does lock and unlock manually just not by TOUCHING it with the keyless go feature.

What could this be?
Does it lock and unlock with eth electric switch?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Does it lock and unlock with eth electric switch?
Its does lock and unlock by pressing the button on the remote, just doesnt do anything when you touch the handle like its supposed to .

pushing the little black button also does nothing on the handle , again just on the drivers side door, the other doors all work
Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Hfdafhx
Its does lock and unlock by pressing the button on the remote, just doesnt do anything when you touch the handle like its supposed to .

pushing the little black button also does nothing on the handle , again just on the drivers side door, the other doors all work

I would guess it need a new handle (If like other MBs the detection system is in the handle.)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
I could use a little assistance with a door lock/unlock issue on the wife's 2010 GL550. The front passenger door doesn't unlock when using the key fob and/or the interior lock/unlock button. If you pull the interior door handle, it unlocks just fine. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical issue (nothing is "sticking" and/or binding).

This morning I removed the door panel (thanks to the information listed in this thread), but hit a dead-end. I assume the lock actuator needs to be removed/replaced, but how do I get access to it? It appears that the entire aluminum plate needs to come off or is there a way to remove the actuator without doing that?

Here's my real questions: what is causing the issue? if it is the actuator, how difficult is it to remove the aluminum plate (it seems the window tracks are mounted to it too)?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
THANK YOU

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
1) Push the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously and use a pair of pliers to pull out the 'tab' in the center. The switch assembly will come out.
2) Remove the screw behind the door lock switch.
3) Carefully pry off the silver trim below the armrest. It's held in with clips.
4) Remove the screw.
5) Pry off the tweeter triangle. It's held in with clips.
6) Work your way around the edge of the door panel, prying it off. Again, lots of clips.
7) Be careful when you release the door panel; lots of wiring.
8) Disconnect door handle from connecting wire and disconnect all electrical connections.
9) Enjoy.

I know this posting is five years old, but thank you. I would NOT have been able to repair the window switch without it.