GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Headlights on auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
Thanks I did. And I also search seems like everyone having that issue with the sensor bring extra sensitive. Cussing the head light to be one all the time while in auto mode
Old 03-27-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL 350
"Off" equals "auto"

Since this thread has been revived, does anyone know if there has been a fix for this annoying engineering mistake? Like a reprogram or something?

I keep my DRLs off now because otherwise my full headlights come on nearly all the time. I wish "off" truly meant "off" like in every other car on the planet.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL450
Nope it's still an issue, I thought I was losing my mind until I read this thread. I can't believe they programmed the system this way. It completely irks me that I can't leave my DRL's on without knowing that the first time I sit under a shade tree at a light, the full headlight system will turn on and stay on until I shut the truck off. #lame
Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by blittle
So here's the story as provided by my Tech guy ( we spent about two hours working with this )......basically two parts: 1. if you have a vehicle with the optional LED running lights, then... when you program the the option to
"leave running lights on all of the time" the "auto/off" function of the rotary switch is overridden and the system is "always on" and the sensors ( rain and light on the windshield ) will be determining whether all of the lights are on or just the lowbeams or nothing at all except the LED DRL's. In other words, if the headlights should come on and you want them OFF... turning the rotary knob to off will have no effect! Both the tech and I agree that this "dumb" engineering but nevertheless is the way it is programed and no upgrades are available as yet. Part 2...... With regard to the headlights coming on when the vehicle is started in the dark and then NOT GOING OFF as the day brightens: the light sensor actually responds to the infrared spectrum.... and, amazingly, a bright or dark blue sky with the sun not directly overhead may be interpreted by the system as "dark" or not "bright enough" and the headlights stay on. The tech actually showed me the Mercedes "in house" service data on the subject: it's entitled "Blue Sky Effect"..... this can be frustrating and/or confusing for the customer. The system is designed to err on the side of lights being on "too long" vs. the potential for the lights "going off" too soon or unexpectedly. The onboard computer looks at the input data and then turns the headlights on or off based on the data..... it is not as simple as the senor seeing light or no light and turning the system on or off. They do have quite a diagnostic test for all of this and all data came back good on my vehicle............... in short, it's going to be this way until there is a better logic sequence in the programing. The good news is ...... there is nothing "wrong" and we will probably never experience the opposite of all of this: having no lights when we need them!
What YEAR GL was this for?

I have a 2012, and I think, even if you don't have the lighting package on a 2012, you STILL have led daytime running lights, right? I don't have HID's, but I do have the led strip lights in the bumper, but I can't get them to get super bright during the day like other cars I see. They are on, but dim. I have daytime running lights IF I have those two led strip lights in my bumper, with no lighting package, correct? This is a 2012.

Originally Posted by WaveyKat
Question to anyone who has the LED DRL how do I get the DRL to stay on without the headlight being on?
I have a 2011 GL550.
YES. How?

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Complete instructions are in your owner's manual. Under "Daytime Running Lights" or something like that.
Is there a PDF to this?

Originally Posted by CoastsideX164
Since this thread has been revived, does anyone know if there has been a fix for this annoying engineering mistake? Like a reprogram or something?

I keep my DRLs off now because otherwise my full headlights come on nearly all the time. I wish "off" truly meant "off" like in every other car on the planet.
Any other updates?

Originally Posted by darkster
Nope it's still an issue, I thought I was losing my mind until I read this thread. I can't believe they programmed the system this way. It completely irks me that I can't leave my DRL's on without knowing that the first time I sit under a shade tree at a light, the full headlight system will turn on and stay on until I shut the truck off. #lame
There must be something....
Old 03-12-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
I'm coming from a bimmer, in that world DRL = on means the led angel lights on (like the led strip we have) and not the whole headlamp ... In GL world I accepted I have DRL option but I don't, that led strip won't light up on it's own, only with the headlamp on, maybe a Coder can solve this for us ? Dealership admittedly told me it ain't gonna happen....
Old 03-12-2017, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by 007_e350
I'm coming from a bimmer, in that world DRL = on means the led angel lights on (like the led strip we have) and not the whole headlamp ... In GL world I accepted I have DRL option but I don't, that led strip won't light up on it's own, only with the headlamp on, maybe a Coder can solve this for us ? Dealership admittedly told me it ain't gonna happen....
actually you can, what you have to do is put the switch in the auto position, and as long as it's daylight outside they will be triple the brightness that they are at night.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 PM

X166 gls450 2017
Originally Posted by Jason B
actually you can, what you have to do is put the switch in the auto position, and as long as it's daylight outside they will be triple the brightness that they are at night.

Oh cool, let me try that it's bright out rightnow
Old 03-12-2017, 04:18 PM

X166 gls450 2017
Originally Posted by 007_e350
Oh cool, let me try that it's bright out rightnow
Yeah it worked!!!