GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL comfort when driving...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
2010 GL comfort when driving...

Hello. I have a Silver 2010 GL 450 with about 18k miles. I've really noticed that when ever I'm driving 40-60mph down the road and go through a pot hole i can't really avoid, it seems to me that the car sways from side to side. It really makes me mad, because i don't think its right. I have the Airmatic. It raises and lowers with no problem.

Also, i think my steering wheel is a bit loose. I recently had my steering buckle replaced, i don't really feel a difference.

Can you guys help me?

I will go to the dealer, and this time i will tell them that i won't pick up the car until this problem is solved.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
every suv has spaghetti chassis.. so stepping out/tramming/sways over bumps are normal- you are driving a softly sprung truck 6 feet tall closing on 6000 pounds in weight.

what do you expect?

the steering being loose- again- what are you comparing it to? you sure it is loose? mine is inaccurate, but not lose. shut off truck (power steering). turn the steering a bit to the left and to the right. do you feel any notchiness? if you do- you have loose steering; if effort is smooth it is not loose.

if you feel a free play in the steering (you can feel it click in the steering especially when driving down the road) there is a tsb for tightening/ shimming the steering rack. they do come lose a bit with use.

the front will also thump/clunk over certain bumps. that is part of the character.

however, i think you are reading too much into it

Last edited by alx; 11-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by alx
every suv has spaghetti chassis.. so stepping out/tramming/sways over bumps are normal- you are driving a softly sprung truck 6 feet tall closing on 6000 pounds in weight.

what do you expect?

the steering being loose- again- what are you comparing it to? you sure it is loose? mine is inaccurate, but not lose. shut off truck (power steering). turn the steering a bit to the left and to the right. do you feel any notchiness? if you do- you have loose steering; if effort is smooth it is not loose.

if you feel a free play in the steering (you can feel it click in the steering especially when driving down the road) there is a tsb for tightening/ shimming the steering rack. they do come lose a bit with use.

the front will also thump/clunk over certain bumps. that is part of the character.

however, i think you are reading too much into it
Thanks for replying. So can you tell me where the tsb tightening thing is?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Went to the dealer yesterday, and i turned the car off. And started shaking the steering wheel from left to right. And there was a clunking noise in the steering column and right from wheel. "My boy" best service mechanic, Dustin said he'd take a look at it. He couldn't do it on the sport because he's backed up about 1 week. I guess the GL will have a break and ill switch over to the E-class for the week..
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
My GL rides/drives like that as well. You can really notice the difference in suspension tuning between my GL and my Cayenne Turbo. The GL feels much softer and wallows down the road over bumps. The Cayenne is much tauter and precise. But then of course you can tune the Porsche's suspension from "comfort" to "normal" to "sport" as well as raise and lower the suspension to four different settings.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM

I think the 2013 GL will have that. Just like the CLS and ML, the new GL will be more precise on Turing and overall driving comfort I think.