GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

who is the GL guru in this section?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
who is the GL guru in this section?

Anyone doing performance mods? Resonator delete? Supercharger or cams?

Wife just picked up a 450 and just trying to cut to the chase. any quick tips or easy mods to make an 08 better? 21" AMg wheels laying around? Anyone using a ML63 or other model car 63 cat back?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You are deviating from the purpose of the vehicle. It is a 5500 pound luxo barge riding 10 inches off the ground on slushy air suspension.

To each his own though...

My 2 cents
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
GL63 is supposedly coming out fairly soon-ish. That's all I can offer here.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by alx
You are deviating from the purpose of the vehicle. It is a 5500 pound luxo barge riding 10 inches off the ground on slushy air suspension.

To each his own though...

My 2 cents
I guess you are not the guru then I was looking for. Maybe I can just ask where or what part number for the "rear bumper stainless cover" is?

I fully know the specs of this SUV but my wife likes to pass cars at 90 mph while pulling our boat, so she wants a supercharger. If there is not one, then I will have a rotrex or procharger made for it. This is done on SUV`s and trucks all the time, so not sure why I get the book thrown at me for asking. Jeez.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

If your wife gets caught passing at 90 mph with a boat in the back the judge throwing he book at her/you will be the least of your problems

Btw, if you think the 450 is not out of its environment pulling boats at 90...

On the subject of mods- i do not think there any serious power mods out for the 450.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Serious power mod for the GL450 is called the GL550!

Want passing torque? Go with a GL 350 Bluetec. It already has a turbocharger on it and it tows like a dream.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Serious power mod for the GL450 is called the GL550!Are you for real

Want passing torque? Go with a GL 350 Bluetec. It already has a turbocharger on it and it tows like a dream.
You have been smoking some good **** my friend

None of them are rated different

Exotic, sorry for the interruption, but it is VERY tough around here to get good advice.

I posted a simple, DIY, and was informed I was FOS, as the service interval would be interrupted

FYI, look else where my friend, as I doubt ANYONE here has EVER thought outside the box for HP improvements.

AS for the rest, PLEASE prove me wrong

PS: FI on a 450, or 550 would be tough as the static compression is too high to make it feasible, IMHO. 4-5 PSI kit is really not worth 4-5K, IMHO.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
You have been smoking some good **** my friend

None of them are rated different

FYI, look else where my friend, as I doubt ANYONE here has EVER thought outside the box for HP improvements.
As far as smoking goes, either you've got better stuff than he does, or you can't read a website. The power ratings are different per MBUSA. So, fail.

And as far as power upgrades go, I didn't even need to think inside the box, as I just bought an AMG to satisfy that need.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

PS: FI on a 450, or 550 would be tough as the static compression is too high to make it feasible, IMHO. 4-5 PSI kit is really not worth 4-5K, IMHO.
And you know this how? ...

Depending on the shape of the combustion chamber, camshafts profile, intake manifold characteristics and the phase of the moon a high static compression motor can be very suitable for fi and a low compression one- a complete disaster.

As far as you buying an amg- it is not a gl and there is no gl amg so whatever point you are trying to make is a moot one.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx
As far as you buying an amg- it is not a gl and there is no gl amg so whatever point you are trying to make is a moot one.
Sorry, let me spell it out. I bought a vehicle designed to go fast because I want to go fast. If the OP ('s wife) wanted to make the most thoughtful purchase, he would have purchased something like a new Grand Cherokee SRT 8, which can tow & go, as it were, not a mid-class GL (which was never designed to go fast).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 485 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Anyone doing performance mods? Resonator delete? Supercharger or cams?

Wife just picked up a 450 and just trying to cut to the chase. any quick tips or easy mods to make an 08 better?
The advice you're looking for isn't present here. You can throw piles of money at your 450 or wait for the GL63 to hit the streets next year and trade it in.

Towing boats at 90?
You, Sir, are a mobile hazard area.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Towing boats at 90?
I'm glad those 90 mph boat trailers are in Texas.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by alx
And you know this how? ...Check your manual and it will tell you your compression ratio.

Depending on the shape of the combustion chamber, camshafts profile, intake manifold characteristics and the phase of the moon a high static compression motor can be very suitable for fi and a low compression one- a complete disaster.

Mainly because I have been supercharging cars since 91 my friend.

I had the FIRST KB Gt40 lower mustang in the country, for one.

Two, to get a substantial boost in power, aka 100% you need 1 atm of boost, approximately 14 PSI. So when you are talking about adding 4-5 pounds of boost, at a cost of 5K +, it just doesn't add up, IMHO.

Yes there are other factors, but to put it simply you can not add alot of boost to a high compression engine with todays lovely gas regardless of cam/head/chamber, etc, etc. Unless of course you now go to a meth set up. But again, you are now adding more cost and inconvenience to a DD.

AS far as the rating that I mentioned above, I was talking tow rating, NOT HP. Some guys around here are REALLY tied up to tight IMHO.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 11-29-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mainly because I have been supercharging cars since 91 my friend.

I had the FIRST KB Gt40 lower mustang in the country, for one.
... and i had prolly the first t88 single supra in the states back in 96... your point?

what i am trying to say is that you don't know if you can run 5 pounds or 15 on this motor as nobody has done it so field experience is non-existent.

case in point- the s2000 motor is high compression engine with ultra light rotating assembly. yet people run 14 pounds blowers without even touching the head gasket. and this is with a blower that is spun to 8k rpms (think heat). the turbo kits run even more on pump gas as less heat is generated with the high rpm motor. another example is the g35. and the ls1/2 motors. and prelude motors.. and... you get the picture.

what i mean is that one just does not know what a motor is capable of by knowing just the compression. there are so many other things at play that the only way is to pressurize one and trial and error it.

Last edited by alx; 11-28-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:28 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by alx
If your wife gets caught passing at 90 mph with a boat in the back the judge throwing he book at her/you will be the least of your problems

Btw, if you think the 450 is not out of its environment pulling boats at 90...

On the subject of mods- i do not think there any serious power mods out for the 450.
Speed limit is 70 mph on our long open highways. Most of us tournament bass peps pull our 60K bass boat rigs over 70 mph. Say 80 mph and if a car is doing 70, then you need to be able to jump to 90 plus mph quick to get aroudn them safe. If you are one of those peps that will only pass at speed limit or a few mph over, then you will not live to see the judge. At least not the one in a court.

Thanks for the last statment, that is usable advice.

Originally Posted by Max Blast
The advice you're looking for isn't present here. You can throw piles of money at your 450 or wait for the GL63 to hit the streets next year and trade it in.

Towing boats at 90?
You sir can not read. I said passing at 90 mph. I hope your not one of the texters that get in my way and force me to pass you at 90 mph, before the next car comes head on.. Towing at 90 mph is a tad dangerous. Then again, we drive a 620 RWHP CL55 with 720 FT lbs of torque too. 1/4 mile race and Texas mile race and I would say a few street races too but you guys may turn me in..lol

MRAMG Thanks for the heads up, I am not suprised. Always fun trolling the soccer- mom section anyway.. LMAO!

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Sadly as you have found out there is not much support for the GL platform when it comes to tuning. Based on the demographic I guess it's a small market.

That said, I like your thinking! I used to think my wife's GL was pretty quick but the miles behind the wheel of the E55 spoiled that! Now when I drive the GL I feel like I have to plan my passing maneuvers instead of "gas and go".

Anyway, I'm thinking the hot ticket would be a motor swap from the ML63 as it is likely plug and play hardware wise. I suspect that you know this but the ML and GL are essentially the same from the B pillar forward. That would give you stock comfort and reliability (well, you know what I mean) with a 50% HP jump. This would not be cheap but then I have seen that you don't mind spending a few bucks on your CL! A custom SC/Turbo setup may seem less expensive in the beginning but I suspect the costs of refining the system and tuning everything would add up before the project is done.

Of course, these are merely opinions as I have not yet been down this road.

Can't wait to see you what you do!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Two, to get a substantial boost in power, aka 50% you need 1 atm of boost, approximately 14 PSI. So when you are talking about adding 4-5 pounds of boost, at a cost of 5K +, it just doesn't add up, IMHO.

1 Bar of boost, 14.7 PSI, will double the effective displacement of an engine and will produce double the power with effective intercooling and boost.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by BlownV8
1 Bar of boost, 14.7 PSI, will double the effective displacement of an engine and will produce double the power with effective intercooling and boost.
You are correct my friend

I was at work when I answered this, and realized my mistake later. THANKS again

Fixed it above as well.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Exactly!!! Dont want to mess up the whole ride of the GL but just add smooth quiet power. Kleeman does not have Supercharger for the GL450 or 550, so I am going to have to go to ROTREX or PROCHARGER and build my own kit. Basically, just make adaptor plates, tune and injectors. Stock E55 injecotrs should be perfect.

May sound strange but everyone puts superchargers on thier trucks and SUV`s in Texas it seems. Well at least a lot of poeple. Very nice set up and great power. Doing all the bolt on stuff, just f `s up the SUV , for small gains.

If you search Youtube, you will see tons of truck/sUV`s with boosted motors. Very common and helps to pass safe, while towing a toy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfzTEr5Cty8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzdab...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafBt5kozLI

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 11-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have given thought to mid mount turbos. Think of the STS units mounted between the manifold and catalytic converters.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/c6.htm
Attached Thumbnails who is the GL guru in this section?-mid-mount-turbo.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I have given thought to mid mount turbos. Think of the STS units mounted between the manifold and catalytic converters.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/c6.htm
Yes, the STS would fit in place of the resonators on the GL. Wife demanding supercharger and have to admit, the low end torque of the SC is handy on a heavy SUV.

Have some friends at the PRI gathering info from the procharger style chargers. Just looking right now.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-03-2011, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Procharger is centrifugal and is loud due to the straight cut gears. Twin turbo is the best way to go on the GL for efficiency, power, and longevity.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Centrifugal like vortech or procharger will add little to the bottom end tq. A twin screw or small turbos will be more suitable.

I still fail to see the point, but anyway. Have you guys driven a g55? Scary when pushed. And not in a nice way...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Procharger is centrifugal and is loud due to the straight cut gears. Twin turbo is the best way to go on the GL for efficiency, power, and longevity.
Yes, looking more like turbos will fit better. Looked hard at ways to custom make bracket for ROTREX and not much room. Plenty of room for turbos though.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Ok, after looking into all the Supercahrger options and fabrication, decided to go sngle turbo and keep boost around 5 PSI. Easy install , better MPG and less fabrication.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: who is the GL guru in this section?