GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL Splash Guards with Running Boards

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes S550, 2015 Mercedes GL350
GL Splash Guards with Running Boards

Ever since I've had my GL I've hated the fact that MB doesn't make a splash guard if you have factory running boards. Vehicle always gets dirty so easy if just running through the smallest damp, muddy patch on the otherwise dry road. Sometimes as others will know, the splattered dirt can make it all the back to the tail lights from the front wheels. Since mine is black that doesn't help either.

I'd almost given up as the MB ones would only fit the back. I contemplated buying the front and possibly getting the dremel tool out to modify them to fit the running boards. None of the dealers had them in stock to see if this was even possible. So I went on a quest to look for an aftermarket splash guard that would look good and could be installed without drilling any holes in the vehicle. I ended up using power flow Road Sport large # 3302. They are approx 15" x 10", just a bit smaller then the MB ones. They have the rolled edges so they keep their shape and don't just look like a flat piece of plastic. No they don't fit around everything as well as the MB ones, but since I have running boards I really didn't have much choice. I installed the fronts by removing several of the plastic fasteners and add the clips that can accept a screw. The back was a bit trickier. I used a clip/screw thing for some, but ended up making a small bracket out of aluminum angle that attached to the flap and then into one of the existing holes (clip added) on the bottom. The top sections I used 3M tape just like the MB install method. Not sure how well this will hold. If it doesn't I'll make a small aluminum clip with a threaded hole to go behind the fender lip so I don't have to drill any holes. I think they look pretty good. Might look for a puddle on the way out tonight. Maybe not, just washed and waxed today. Want to maybe find a small Mercedes Star to add to them the make them look a bit more authentic.
Attached Thumbnails GL Splash Guards with Running Boards-front.jpg   GL Splash Guards with Running Boards-rear.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can buy splash guards to fit the running boards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Splash-Guard...048107&vxp=mtr
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes S550, 2015 Mercedes GL350
Unfortunately all I saw in the past where posts about not having splash guards with running boards. Oh well I'm all done installing now. Hopefully someone else will be able to use these that has been looking for them.