NAV/Audio distortion happening sporadicaly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
NAV/Audio distortion happening sporadicaly

Hello everyone,

I've been having issues with my 2008 GL450 audio/NAV system since day one. The issues happens sporadicaly without a pattern and usually when I need the NAVigation the most when driving in areas that I am not familiat with. Let me describe the issue:

The turn by turn directions voice is ditorded or I hear a static instead. The audio system including CDs, MP3s, DVDs, radio, SAT is all distorded as well. It is really annoying when it happens. Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, so I wasn't really complaining much at the dealer but just mentioning the issue I have every time I was dropping it for a service, so they can check on it and the answer allways was "we couldn't find anything wrong with it". Now that the 50,000 miles are coming and I will be out of warranty, I am really concerned about it, so I dropped the car for service D at the dealer and really point out the issue and I want it to get it resolved once and for all.

Dealer make it sound that I am the only one having this issue. Good thing I have several videos I recorded with my phone in multiple occasions and I already provided those to the dealer as proof of what I am experiencing.

Does anybody have experience this issue?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 GL450
I had the same issue but could never figure it out. At first I thought it was the radio station but then I switched sources to in-dash CD, CD-Changer, and I-Pod input all with the same static issues. I never did try the Nav. This happened a few times after I first bought the GL and of course never happened when I took it in for service. It has been trouble free and with clear sound the last couple years with no recurrence of the issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by gbigpapa
I had the same issue but could never figure it out. At first I thought it was the radio station but then I switched sources to in-dash CD, CD-Changer, and I-Pod input all with the same static issues. I never did try the Nav. This happened a few times after I first bought the GL and of course never happened when I took it in for service. It has been trouble free and with clear sound the last couple years with no recurrence of the issue.
I experienced the static at the dealership. The SA opened the front passenger door and tapped the roof where the fiber optics and antenna wires are and the static went away. He offered to remove the headliner and have a look but I opted out and have been trouble free for 20000 miles.